ECT X axis editable

Julien

I know my case is uncommon but my car being air cooled and running quite hot I'm well over the fixed scale of all the ECT tables..

I'm running around 130-140°C and I max out the sensor at 160° on track or in traffic..

It would be nice if the scale could be edited so I could implement some safeties.

For instance the boost target trim table stops at 140..

Since the car heats up quickly I guess I could deal with simply render the axis editable so other users wouldn't be messed..

5 hours ago, Julien said:

I know my case is uncommon but my car being air cooled and running quite hot I'm well over the fixed scale of all the ECT tables..

I'm running around 130-140°C and I max out the sensor at 160° on track or in traffic..

It would be nice if the scale could be edited so I could implement some safeties.

For instance the boost target trim table stops at 140..

Since the car heats up quickly I guess I could deal with simply render the axis editable so other users wouldn't be messed..

You should be available to edit the axis of the tables by pressing X. You can make the tables as you wish, the ECT can even be 3D if you want

9 hours ago, Rossobianconero said:

You should be available to edit the axis of the tables by pressing X. You can make the tables as you wish, the ECT can even be 3D if you want

Many tables you can't actually edit. This includes the Boost ECT Target Trim Table.

Others are idle control Startup Offset and AC Offset.

16 hours ago, DerekAE86 said:

Many tables you can't actually edit. This includes the Boost ECT Target Trim Table.

Others are idle control Startup Offset and AC Offset.

I never really had to adjusted but I check and yes, you cannot edit the Boost ECT target trim. If you need that correction with more temp, then you can use the GP trim and make your own. Sadly, that limits the options to do other thing with that table but...

My understanding is configurable axes breakpoints are resource hungry in terms of RAM use and processing load as the interpolation math is complex.  Fixed, equally spaced breakpoints can be done more efficiently.  So generally user configurable axes on these basic correction tables is not a wise use of resources, but I suspect it could be possible to extend the span of these tables to cover a higher temperature range somehow but using fixed breakpoints.  I will add a task to the development system for the firmware guys to investigate.  There are often many other considerations that have to be made with system wide changes like this as it can cause havoc later with backwards compatibility etc, every single user has to populate these new table cells when they do a firmware update etc, tables dont populate correctly if you load an old map into a newer firmware and things like that.   

So:

• Boost ECT Target trim, Boost ECT Wastegate trim
  • 2D Crank Enrichment (There is 3d available so not needed?), Crank Enrichment Hold time
  • 2D Post start Enrichment (There is 3d available so not needed?), Post Start Hold time, Post Start Decay time
  • Overrun Fuel cut deactivation
  • Accel Cold Correction
  • ECT Ignition trim (There is 3d available so not needed?)
  • Idle Speed AC Offset and Startup Offset (Both currently 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100)

Which of these do you want a larger range on and how much larger do you want the range?

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Which of these do you want a larger range on and how much larger do you want the range?

If we're talking about outlier tables;
The Closed Loop Gain Control Table could probably be expanded to allow correcting for higher than 0.166 error.

And I'd like to be able to put smaller RPM values in the Overrun Deactivation Table.
Currently you can only put values in multiples of 100rpm. Would be nice to allow at least 50rpm steps.

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

So:

• Boost ECT Target trim, Boost ECT Wastegate trim
  • 2D Crank Enrichment (There is 3d available so not needed?), Crank Enrichment Hold time
  • 2D Post start Enrichment (There is 3d available so not needed?), Post Start Hold time, Post Start Decay time
  • Overrun Fuel cut deactivation
  • Accel Cold Correction
  • ECT Ignition trim (There is 3d available so not needed?)
  • Idle Speed AC Offset and Startup Offset (Both currently 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100)

I’m not a professional and my tuner is doing race engines.. I’m the only road car he’s doing.. but we don’t seem to have issues with Crank and Post start Enrichment, Post Start Hold time, Post Start Decay time. Once the engine is at these values it’s hot so it start correctly. Or the tables are zeroed or fixed. Maybe one of you would improve the hot start using this but as far as I’m concerned, the car start so I’m happy!

(crank and post start enrichment are editable and hold time tables goes up to 140)

I don’t have A/C so I don’t know if extending over 100° could be an improvement 

The only 3 ones that I would use are Boost ECT Target trim, Boost ECT Wastegate trim, ECT Ignition trim. The actual sensor max out at 160° I did not changed it yet so I don’t know exactly where the engine stabilize.. I hope not over 200°..

The only sensor I found to be up to the task (I would avoid a thermocouple if possible) is a Bosch Motorsport item that cost over 500€ so I would be interested in any alternative if you have..

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/content/downloads/Raceparts/en-GB/58273931119693579.html

42 minutes ago, Julien said:

the engine is running over 160°

I don't know much about air cooled engines. But assuming celcius that seems extremely hot? Like way hotter than it should be? Are you sure the calibration is correct?

If it is - have you considered assigning the temp input (I assume its actually your oil temp?) to a GP Temp input, and then setting up a Math Block to halve the value, then using that Math Block as the source for the "ECT" analog input?

That way you can effectively double your "ECT" range. You'll just have to keep in the back of your mind that when displaying "60degc" it's actually "120degc". 

The genuine sensor is a Bosch NTC type, I double checked the calibration with my oven.

I did some research and the maximum allowed temp for the head is 220°C

So my value doesn’t seem too crazy. Keeping in mind it’s only on track where I log peaks EGT just under 1100°.. and the water cooling of the turbos bearings goes  near 120°C.

But I really need to install another sensor to know exactly up to where I go..

Otherwise the engine runs around 140° on open road.

10 hours ago, Julien said:

I’m sorry but that will be too short, the engine is running over 160° so if I want to implement a safety I need more that this. Maybe 3 cells 160, 180, 200?

They have to be in steps of 10 to match the rest of the table but I could add more to get it to 200.