4g63 1G DSM no-start

VegasAWD

Sorry, for making multiple threads but I felt it would be confusing posting to old threads with fixed issues.

Early 4g63 eagle talon with Kiggly 12t trigger with 1G DSM CAS, ign-1a coils, new engine, new harness.  Is there anything else obvious that would cause this no-start?

Injector and coils fire when tested and are in correct order. I've tried multiple trigger offsets with nothing working. Thanks for any help you can offer.

@Confused @Adamw

linkforumshelp7.pclrlinkforumshelp7.llgscope93.thumb.PNG.0367bed5f64c3fbbb00568c4bead3e90.PNG

Triggers look happy, ECU looks like it is trying to run the engine. can you visually confirm it has spark when you are cranking it over? have you had a timing light on it to confirm you have the correct offset? Does it make any popping or ignition noises when cranking over? if you have had a timing light on it have you tried adjusting the offset by 360deg to see if you are sparking on the exhaust stroke? Is it flooded?

23 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Triggers look happy, ECU looks like it is trying to run the engine. can you visually confirm it has spark when you are cranking it over? have you had a timing light on it to confirm you have the correct offset? Does it make any popping or ignition noises when cranking over? if you have had a timing light on it have you tried adjusting the offset by 360deg to see if you are sparking on the exhaust stroke? Is it flooded?

I did see some arcing on a plug through windshield when cranking but I'll get confirmation on all 4 coils when I can. Engine acts like it wants to catch but doesn't. No popping or strange noises.

I wasn't aware you could use a timing light at cranking RPM so I'll be sure to do that as well. I suspect it's an offset issue. 

With a timing light and IGN-1A coils, I can just wrap the thongs around cyl 1 loom or there a specific wire to use when doing timing light? Thanks for the help.

When using cop coils I shove a spare ignition lead onto the end of the spark plug and then into the end of the coil (often requires removing the long rubber boot from the coil) and then put the timing light clamp over the ignition lead. clamp over the wiring loom to the coil often doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Still struggling mightily to get the 1st startup on this setup. I can crank the car long enough to set the timing offset. However, car still won’t and doesn’t seem to be progressing no matter what I try. There appears to be a severe voltage drop during cranking (see picture)causing all electronics to reset. All wiring on the car is new and healthy. Grounds are all healthy. Battery is brand new. I suspect the guy who made this harness left out some grounds or something. Any idea what could cause such a drop? Thank you

voltage drop.png

092023.llg 092023.pclr

On 9/5/2023 at 9:08 AM, Vaughan said:

if you have had a timing light on it have you tried adjusting the offset by 360deg to see if you are sparking on the exhaust stroke?

Did you do this yet?

I think your spikes of low bat voltage are probably from kick back, I would turn off the idle ign control for now as that is randomly kicking in during cranking.

I would also drain the tank and put some standard petrol in it, trying to do first startup with a cold engine on e85 with an untuned map is only making life more difficult.

@VegasAWD if you have enough wire exposed from the end of the loom, (not stripped, just enough to get ahold of) clamp your timing light pickup around the power wire to the coil and see if that works for you. some lights are sensitive enough to pick up the 12v supply fluctuations.

another method i have had work for me is to place the timing light clamp next to the coil itself in different positions.

i too am having this same issue. i can get a temporary start occasionally though, by opening the throttle slightly. it will run long enough for the wideband to heat up. i have run out of ideas, compression, spark and fuel are all there. seems to only run on one cylinder as runner #1 was the only hot exhaust.

Wahoo! not sure what I did but reverted to previous tune and set my trigger offset to 334 and the car fired up immediately. Very strange considering I tried that same trigger offset multiple times in the last. regardless, car is running beautifully on new setup and trigger offset of 360!!

On 9/24/2023 at 10:37 PM, dsmchris said:

@VegasAWD if you have enough wire exposed from the end of the loom, (not stripped, just enough to get ahold of) clamp your timing light pickup around the power wire to the coil and see if that works for you. some lights are sensitive enough to pick up the 12v supply fluctuations.

another method i have had work for me is to place the timing light clamp next to the coil itself in different positions.

i too am having this same issue. i can get a temporary start occasionally though, by opening the throttle slightly. it will run long enough for the wideband to heat up. i have run out of ideas, compression, spark and fuel are all there. seems to only run on one cylinder as runner #1 was the only hot exhaust.

Post a log and see that support says. They've always been able to help me with my issues.