G5 VooDoo PRO DIRECT INJECTORS

streetenergy

• streetenergy changed the title to G5 VooDoo PRO DIRECT INJECTORS

Yes, it requires an external direct injector amplifier, for both the injectors and in most cases the pump solenoid.  

Link have a universal 4 channel one in development currently for solenoid type injectors but it is probably still a few months away.  Some OEM applications have them such as Toyota 86, 2UR, 2GR etc, but these are not programmable so they may or may not be suitable for other applications, the voltage and current profiles need to be confirmed as suitable for the desired engine.  There are a couple of 3rd party options such as Bosch HPI5 and Syvecs GDI12 for solenoid injectors, but limited options for piezo injectors that I know of.  

• 1 month later...

I hadn't but just had a quick google and it looks like solenoid style direct injectors and it talks about the camshaft having 3 lobes which suggests NO or NC pump style but the same article mentions that it uses PWM control of the pump so you would need to scope the pump signal to determine what style of control it is. It also looks like they have a separate computer used for controlling the injectors and pump.

If you have access to an engine and have an oscilloscope I'm sure we could get it working for you.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys, trying to work out how to use a G5 for a 4.3 V6 Chevy with Direct Injection.  I think Ross (NZ) may have spoken to you guys a little, but Im helping with the harness / etc.  

Is this Link DI driver box ready yet ? if not what's the suggested DI box ? 

Here in the states we use this Delphi IDM-2 box, GM made it for their 2.x ecotec engines before they developed the more advanced ECU's with the DI integrated, it was also OEM'ed to other manufactures liked Hyundai. 

thanks 

Delphi IDM-2.jpeg

I have a very important question to ask. Since we are not too concerned about the Voltage with the Direct injection rather than we are about pressure. Wouldn't it make more sense to be able to change the axis on the Injector offset table to Pressure? I am not sure how the algorithm works. But this is what I see a lot of on the OE side of things. 

15 hours ago, Endurance_Racer said:

I have a very important question to ask. Since we are not too concerned about the Voltage with the Direct injection rather than we are about pressure. Wouldn't it make more sense to be able to change the axis on the Injector offset table to Pressure? I am not sure how the algorithm works. But this is what I see a lot of on the OE side of things.

If you're referring to the deadtime table then setting it to be a 3D table makes the axes configurable for both the runtime and scale.

greetings , does anyone have any experience with the delphi idm-2? i cant find a manual anywhere but i have a hyundai pinout. the idm-2 brochure states that there is some adjustable settings and such. Plus there is a can bus provision as well.

any ideas?

thanks 

susan

8 hours ago, susan said:

greetings , does anyone have any experience with the delphi idm-2? i cant find a manual anywhere but i have a hyundai pinout. the idm-2 brochure states that there is some adjustable settings and such. Plus there is a can bus provision as well.

any ideas?

thanks 

susan

That's the one I posted above, we are in the process of wiring it,  I don't know much about the CAN bus 

The IDM-2 appears to be very similar to the Bosch HPI5 or perhaps delphi licenced some of the design at the time.  If you have one off an OEM application then it likely wont be configurable and the CAN will be specific to the application it came from.  It will only be suitable for the specific injector and pump it was configured to drive originally (not even sure if it has a pump output but HDI5 does). 

The OEM versions of the HPI5 are not user-configurable, they have the configuration stored internally so still work without CAN.  Whereas the motorsport/universal version of the HDI5 needs the current and voltage settings sent to the box via CAN everytime you power it up.  

Unless you are using this box on the engine it was specifically designed for, or you can find much more complete documentation, then in my opinion it would be a big can of worms that I would be too much risk for the time involved.  You wont learn of its limitations due to voltage/current settings, max RPM, or max duty cycle etc until you are a long way down the path, after already investing a lot of time and money wiring, reverse engineering and testing.  These limitations usually only become apparent near full load, high rail pressure or high RPM.  The HPI5 can only do a max of 7000RPM if you are using all outputs for example.