Can Lambda connectors

SteveS

Hi Guys

I am installing a link Can Lambda to my Stratos and have mounted the controller and e-throttle module in the bulkhead cavity as shown in the photo with the sensor in the rear exhaust bank. To connect I need to extend the wiring by approx. 1.2m.

The options are, buy a premade cable with LSU4.9 plugs, cut off the controller plug and extend the wiring (by reusing the plug and a dozen open barrel connectors) or make my own extension cable with a new plug kit. My preference is the latter simply because the cable needs to pass through a bulkhead grommet.

My question is where can I purchase a suitable male and female plug kit with pins etc that will work with the existing bosch plugs?

Can someone assist, Im sure this will have been done many times before.

My apologies if this has been discussed before, have spent a couple of hours searching.

Thank you.

Steve

Bulk Head #1.jpg

Engine #2.jpg

The female side is pretty easy to get in most countries, the male however is quite a bit less common.

Be aware many of the premade extensions you will find are from innovate so will only have 5 pins connected and wont work with any controller that uses the calibration pin. 

https://www.efihardware.com/products/2343/Bosch-LSU4.9-Lambda-Sensor-Connector-Male

https://www.efihardware.com/products/2219/Bosch-LSU-4.9-Oxy-Sensor-Connector   

Hi Adam. 

Thankyou for the links. 

I'm now happy that an extension with correct plugs is best. 

I saw one premade loom on a American site but there was no pin detail. The controller has 6 wires and the sensor has 5 so guessed there is some electricikery going on with the green (calibration) wire in the sensor plug. 

Also seen other 4.9 plug kits but the male was oval not a D shape

On 12/18/2023 at 9:45 PM, Confused said:

I'd personally relocate the CAN Lambda so that you don't need to muck around with extension cables.

Yes I considered this lots but unlike a front engine car there is no body work to attach it to. The rear clam is also removeable. 

Putting it in the rear bulkhead keeps it away from heat and dirt.

Lancia Engine.jpg

I was in a similar boat this time last year as I was installing multiple Canlambdas for a boxer application, so thought I would need an extended lead solution to connect the wideband sensors to the Canlambda modules.

Haltech sells a ready-made wideband sensor extension harness that will do what you are looking for. This was an option I was looking at purchasing, but realized it would get expensive since I would have needed 5 of these extension harnesses for my setup which uses 5 Can Lambdas.

Alternatively, you can find the required plugs on eBay for dirt cheap from china. I was a little sceptical with respect to the quality of them when I ordered them, but once I had them in hand, quality was just fine, and they connected and clicked into to the Can Lambda wideband connector and the Bosch wideband sensor connectors perfectly. 

I ended up not needing them thanks to the generous length of the wire used with the Bosch sensors Link includes with the Can Lambda. They were just long enough to able to reach from the sensor locations on the exhaust manifold below the engine.

The aforementioned connectors come with the pins and seals. You just provide the wire and wire loom and get as fancy as you like. You can also find the same connectors floating around on Amazon, but the prices in my experience are inflated for what you are getting. If you are installing a single Can Lambda, the Haltech offering might be a nice and easy route to go. If on the other hand you are installing multiple units, it would be cheaper to purchase a bulk pack of plugs like I did and just assemble your own harnesses. It might be wise to upsize slightly on the wire gauge of your extension harness so as not to introduce significant resistance that might skew your sensor readings. This, at least for me, was the plan before I found that I had just enough length to go without them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 10:11 PM, Adamw said:

The female side is pretty easy to get in most countries, the male however is quite a bit less common.

Be aware many of the premade extensions you will find are from innovate so will only have 5 pins connected and wont work with any controller that uses the calibration pin. 

Ok have ordered both plugs thank you.

Just to clarify, the controller has 6 wires including the calibration wire whereas the sensor plug has 5.

So, all I need to do is extend the 6 controller wires to the sensor plug with a similar gauge/colour wire. 

For my info, what does the calibration wire do if it doesn't appear to be connected to the sensor?

Thanks

On 12/18/2023 at 8:24 AM, dx4picco said:

there is a calibration resistor in the lambda sensor plug. all 6 wires are used by the canlambda and need to go to the sensor plug. no trickery going on.

a calibration resistor is connected to it