Math Channel feature expansion

Calvin

I have dealt a lot with MoTec i2 software as well as McLaren Atlas software for race applications and what really made me love them was the freedom their math channel editor gave me. The functions list such as derivative, integral, filters and trigonometry and many more really made it robust and versatile to tackle any kind of equation you have in your head. The typing in of equations and expressions also felt more natural as you use the actual variable name instead of 'a,b,c..'

I really hope Link can move towards that type of layout instead of the block layout which limits the amount of constants and variables you can use, as well as the type of functions available in the library to manipulate those variables. Cheers

image.thumb.png.a7cbf217c00d55b5ca3e952303ab1dae.png

These examples are math channels that are post-processed in the logging software after the fact though arent they?  In this case you are only limited by the processing power and RAM of the PC being used, there is no time limitation on how long the calculation takes and the calculation typically only needs to occur once when the file is opened.

The ECU math blocks are for real-time processing of live engine or chassis data, you have quite limited processing and memory resources in an ecu and since it may be used for live control strategies the calculation must be completed very quickly and is recalculated 250 times a sec.  So there are lots of limitations that must be considered, but that's not to say the math block functionality cant be improved or have new operators and functions added - just I dont think it would ever be able to look or work like the i2 example. 

Yeah no I was thinking more of data and log analysis  part of things. I think I wasn't clear in the first post, my bad. For sure the ECU can't do the differential equations in realtime. Afterall that usually needs something in the realm of an FPGA and such if I was to running some complex control algorithm or some other differential equation that needs updating every timestep. Is the math channels for the log viewer already incorporated and I don't know where it is?

You would have to export to excel as a comma delimited format and use excel to create more advanced math equations or use something like Megalogviewer to do them.  Does the MoTeC software allow importing comma delimited files?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 4:44 PM, koracing said:

You would have to export to excel as a comma delimited format and use excel to create more advanced math equations or use something like Megalogviewer to do them.  Does the MoTeC software allow importing comma delimited files?

Yes MegaLogViewer works. It has a couple of useful functions and features. I bought is a fews ago and it's worth it and has served me well. MoTec does not allow import of CSV files, although you can export as CSV or MatLab file and do whatever you want with it. IMO general expressions and functions should be included in the Link log viewer. I usually tinker a lot and implement various idea, and having the possibility to manipulate the data and extract information automatically after I load a log is really important. Main reason why I still use MegaLog viewer for viewing all logs that are in CSV format.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:44 PM, koracing said:

Yes, but you need a extra Licence for .CSV imports. We have a few professional race teams customers who use it. 

On 1/25/2024 at 1:39 PM, mapper said:

Yes, but you need a extra Licence for .CSV imports. We have a few professional race teams customers who use it. 

Yeah the HD version of Megalog viewer.  I bought it so long ago I forgot about that.