G5 7100 open Race Truck

Endurance_Racer

I know the physical crank sensors between the two engines are different part numbers and he has a 36-1 wheel to my 60-2 but it’s possible the gap is in the same relative spot. 

Though the 2.7 and 3.5 are both marketed as EcoBoosts, they are entirely different engine families with basically no design or parts commonality between them (Duratec/Cyclone vs. Nano). The cam patterns do look the same though. 

I wonder if Life uses the Thermistor setting because both a thermistor and Hall effect input would need a pullup to 5V. 

Good morning Gents..... The truck has fired. We changed the sensor and the sensor had a fault. But now it is running. 

I am wondering if there will be a way to update the scope for these sensors in the future? I appreciate all the help. We will get the DI going and I will send @Vaughan some logs as we implement the DI side of things. As we have added a ballast resistor inline for the HPFP. I am sure this will take some adjusting. Trying to head to dyno today.

Will keep you all posted. Will send picture of truck when we finish the SCORE San Felipe 250mile race! CHEERS!!!

2 hours ago, Laminar said:

I know the physical crank sensors between the two engines are different part numbers and he has a 36-1 wheel to my 60-2 but it’s possible the gap is in the same relative spot. 

Though the 2.7 and 3.5 are both marketed as EcoBoosts, they are entirely different engine families with basically no design or parts commonality between them (Duratec/Cyclone vs. Nano). The cam patterns do look the same though. 

I wonder if Life uses the Thermistor setting because both a thermistor and Hall effect input would need a pullup to 5V. 

The trigger pattern is actually in fact a 60-2 sensor. So I would now assume that these are a lot more similar than we think!

4 hours ago, Endurance_Racer said:

I am wondering if there will be a way to update the scope for these sensors in the future?

To speed up the trigger scope sample rate I believe we would have to reduce the number of channels we are logging in it, might be possible to give it settings to choose between faster and fewer vs slower and more.

51 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

To speed up the trigger scope sample rate I believe we would have to reduce the number of channels we are logging in it, might be possible to give it settings to choose between faster and fewer vs slower and more.

That may not be a bad choice.

Currently the truck is running on the port. Engine has not ran for some time. Seems to have some deposits it picked up over the storage years. I am noticing that the Lambda 2 sensor comes on much sooner than the lambda 2 sensor. Truck seems to be running a bit rough atm. Bank one much richer than bank 2. Not sure if air leaks yet or we need to just blow it out. I will keep you posted. I am going to do the VVT calibration now.

Ok @Vaughan another question for you regarding the VVT. For some reason it is not seeing any of the cams. Well..... Only the exhaust cam now. It says no signal from any of the camshafts. I am uploading the current tune. I have a feeling either the cam phasers are stuck.... or there is window offset that it is not happy about. 

I know I was told to leave the cam numbers blank in the user defined section. But when going to capture the data for camshaft angle test. It comes up as tooth tolerance. 

Currently Exhaust bank one is the only one showing data. This is a little odd. I do have the DI sensors wired to each cam sensor. But not in the way the CONVENTION wants it to be. Please let me know. Current file sent to drive!

My suggestions would be:

• Set Inlet retard Tooth Tolerance to -5deg
  • Set Exhaust Advance Tooth Tolerance to 5deg, both of those suggestions just to give it some wiggle room.
  • set your VVT RPM Lockout to 0 and your ECT Lockout to 0degC for the moment so that no lockouts are applied.

From here you can set cam angle test to individual cams to see if they show up with proper consistent angles in the Cam Angle runtimes (can see these runtimes in the Runtime Values window (R/F12) VVT page). You can also set Cam Angle Test to Calibrate and watch it step through all 4 cams to see whether it manages to calibrate them or not.

Once the cams are calibrated some more suggested settings changes are:

• Select the correct PWM Output for each cam
  • PWM Frequency of 1kHz seems rather high, do you know what frequency the factory engine controller uses?
  • Control algorithms for the bank 2 cams can be set to the respective bank 1 cams to avoid having to update the PID values separately on each bank.
  • Base Duty of 86 is very high, normally this is closer to 40-50%.

Ok so now I am hitting a Fuel calculation error. Can I run the Port injection without looking at the DI pressure in specified flow rate? I am not sure how the math behind the scenes works. This is why I am asking. Because on Port mode and DI I am getting very little DUTY CYCLE. @Vaughan

39 minutes ago, Endurance_Racer said:

Well it just took... Apologies. The second thing I am noticing is that the truck is running very interesting. If you look at the log One bank is very lean. I believe there to be an air leak somewhere. Need to check.

So the VVT cams are all reading angles now?

5 minutes ago, Endurance_Racer said:

Ok so now I am hitting a Fuel calculation error. Can I run the Port injection without looking at the DI pressure in specified flow rate? I am not sure how the math behind the scenes works. This is why I am asking. Because on Port mode and DI I am getting very little DUTY CYCLE. @Vaughan

Port injection uses Fuel -> Fuel Setup -> Fuel Main -> Fuel System Type setting to determine what fuel pressure value to use to correct the port injectors, DI injectors use the "DI Fuel Pressure" runtime value for pressure correction, this is all built in.

Because you have set your Fuel System Type to MAP referenced it will assume the Base Fuel Pressure (379kPa as specified in your tune) is the differential port injector fuel pressure at atmospheric manifold pressure and at all other manifold pressures. If you have a returnless low pressure system with a constant pressure (not MAP referenced) then you will need to change that setting to Returnless.

Yes you can run just the port injectors and the DI Rail Pressure value doesn't affect them or their calibration. Note your current basemap shows 1300cc/min at 300kPa for the port injectors (Secondary) and 750cc/min at 379kPa for the DI injectors (Primary). This makes me think you've entered your injector data the wrong way around as your rated pressure for the primaries matches your specified low pressure system pressure.

Yeah the DI port stuff has been interesting. I can not get the truck to run on the DI at all. Does not look like the pump is energizing. 

But for the port injection. I have them right. The Port is running 1300cc injectors. So the fuel main is still all the PI stuff. That is good to know. I believe we need to get the engine up and running a little more. Blow out some crust in the ol girl.

I am going to try and just tune it for the PI stuff for right now for this race. Will it be ok just on the Port for now?

1 minute ago, Endurance_Racer said:

Yeah the DI port stuff has been interesting. I can not get the truck to run on the DI at all. Does not look like the pump is energizing. 

This may be due to the lack of peak & hold driver on that output as discussed way back or something else.

3 minutes ago, Endurance_Racer said:

I am going to try and just tune it for the PI stuff for right now for this race. Will it be ok just on the Port for now?

Yes there should be no issues with running it just on port (staging table set to 100% and 0rpm and 0pw staged lockout values)

Probably a good idea to attach an updated copy of your tune too please. If you leave the cam angle test set to "inlet bank 1" do you get stable values in the cam angle runtimes?

Yes aux outputs controlling VVT should be wired to the low side of the solenoids and should be set to active low.

In terms of sluggishness have you checked your timing calibration again now that it is running? I see it is set to a nice round 270deg but confirmation that that is correct with a timing light while it is running would be a very sensible move.

Note I'm going to be out of the office in about an hour and won't be back until Monday. @Adamw should be able to help with all of this tune setup stuff but you will need to send him a link to your drive with the files in it.

Hello @Adamw and @Vaughan the truck is running great. I had a bunch of stuff to sort on the VVT side but all went well. 

We are out here testing and the biggest frustration we have is this connection issue.... It is really getting to us right now. We are having to cycle key, pull battery power, and pull the usb cord and reconnect. The WIFI will not even connect and gives the same error. Very frustrating. Any updates for this? Car owner upset as we are wasting lots of time with this.

Good to hear it is running properly now.

Where is the ECU mounted relative to the engine? I'm not really expecting to have issues due to EMF on factory coils but worth checking.

Does it only disconnect while running or while engine is off as well?

With the Wifi are you trying AP or Client mode or both?

Does it show a connection fail message at the top of PCLink when it disconnects and if so what is it?

Also can you attach a copy of your latest tune if possible please.

Have sent you a slightly newer PCLink and firmware to see if that helps with the connection issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

Truck took 1st place at the San Felipe 250 race in Mexico!! Running very well on port for now. Just need to get the DI working properly. The pump is not working at all with the resistor inline. I suspect it needs a proper H-bridge and will need to clamp the amperage. Factory they allow the amperage to go to 6 amps at peak.

Can I use the output for the G5 to go to the AIM PDM and control it through the AIM unit with a PWM control?

Thank you

The ECU output isn't PWM, it is synchronous to the engine speed where it turns on and off at very specific angles relative to the specific cam the pump is on, if your PDM can do peak and hold control and you can guarantee a consistent and small deadtime between the ECU output and the PDM output then yes you could do it with the PDM. If you want to try running a constant but higher current through it then maybe a FET or a solid state relay with a smaller or no ballast resistor would work.

Just to reiterate from memory the Life setup had ~6A of peak current and 2.68A of hold current. To make it move you most likely require close to that 6A of peak and so if you ran a FET or solid state relay with appropriate ballast resistance to get 5-6A you could just run it at that full current the whole time and then keep an eye on whether or not you overheat the pump solenoid.

Alternatively we are in the testing phases of our DI drivers which include a pump driver but I'm not sure when they are going to be available for purchase.

21 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The ECU output isn't PWM, it is synchronous to the engine speed where it turns on and off at very specific angles relative to the specific cam the pump is on, if your PDM can do peak and hold control and you can guarantee a consistent and small deadtime between the ECU output and the PDM output then yes you could do it with the PDM. If you want to try running a constant but higher current through it then maybe a FET or a solid state relay with a smaller or no ballast resistor would work.

Just to reiterate from memory the Life setup had ~6A of peak current and 2.68A of hold current. To make it move you most likely require close to that 6A of peak and so if you ran a FET or solid state relay with appropriate ballast resistance to get 5-6A you could just run it at that full current the whole time and then keep an eye on whether or not you overheat the pump solenoid.

Alternatively we are in the testing phases of our DI drivers which include a pump driver but I'm not sure when they are going to be available for purchase.

We would love to test this unit in this truck! Let me know if you can make that happen? As we have some other projects coming up that guys want us to wire and tackle. Other than that I think we might just wait and hold off for now. As the next race is the 500 and we will need this to be done by end of this month. Again I appreciate all your help. Guys were loving the Link setup!