ECU stays powered up even with ignition off/key out

BlakeR33

Hi guys, I have a Link G4X controlling my 2005 350z. It has been working fine for the last 4 or so months. 

This morning I found my battery is drained, jump started car everything is fine. But through investigating found even with ignition off ecu continues to stay powered up and drawing ~2amps.

Even after an hour it keeps drawing power, only way to stop it is to of course disconnect the battery. 

I have replaced the ECCS relay and same result. 

Would this be an ECU fault or wiring?

This is a wiring "fault" - typically one of the relays that feeds auxiliary stuff (for example a boost solenoid) is fed from a permanent source, rather than a switched source.

This is explained really well in the Help both why it happens and how to prevent it, take a look at the section Wiring Information -> Output Wiring -> Auxiliary Output Wiring -> Wiring Auxiliary Outputs -> Avoiding Auxiliary Output Back-feeding

22 hours ago, Confused said:

This is a wiring "fault" - typically one of the relays that feeds auxiliary stuff (for example a boost solenoid) is fed from a permanent source, rather than a switched source.

This is explained really well in the Help both why it happens and how to prevent it, take a look at the section Wiring Information -> Output Wiring -> Auxiliary Output Wiring -> Wiring Auxiliary Outputs -> Avoiding Auxiliary Output Back-feeding

Hi Confused, bar ECU power everything else has been disconnected to try and diagnose the issue. 

I am lost, have paid $600 for an autosparky to go thru it and he believes it is the ECU. Never had an issue with a Link before and run them in my 2 other cars but it is looking that way maybe.

Check voltage on pin 109 when the ign switch is off but ECU is still on.  It should be near zero.  Provided that's ok, check voltage on pin 111, this should be near battery voltage when ignition is off.  

On 3/9/2024 at 11:03 AM, Adamw said:

Check voltage on pin 109 when the ign switch is off but ECU is still on.  It should be near zero.  Provided that's ok, check voltage on pin 111, this should be near battery voltage when ignition is off.  

Hi Adam, how do I check voltage on those pins the connector looks like this 

20240310_142305.thumb.jpg.f1d92701ef64619b9b1f66336e7d737a.jpg

On 3/10/2024 at 6:25 PM, Adamw said:

It looks like the hood just latches in with some barbs at the wire end.  I would expect it will pry off without much effort.

pCsoFDN.png

Legend thanks Adam. 

I pried the cover off, the pins going into the ecu connector have a rubber seal around them which makes it hard to back probe. Is it a bad idea to put a little nick in the wire to test them with a meter?

Here is a screenshot of what the ECU sees;

The only thing I find strange is the O2 sensors show they are active but currently nothing is plugged into those plugs? Could that auxiliary be the one causing the ecu hold power to stay on? Is there a way to manually deactivate ecu hold power in the software to see if the ecu will turn itself off?

Thank you for the support, Link #1.

link1.PNG

3 hours ago, BlakeR33 said:

The only thing I find strange is the O2 sensors show they are active but currently nothing is plugged into those plugs?

They are active because the conditions that control them are true (RPM < 3600).  

Is it a bad idea to put a little nick in the wire to test them with a meter?

It is pretty common practice to poke the sharp probe through the insulation, or you can backprobe with a pin/needle.

Is there a way to manually deactivate ecu hold power in the software to see if the ecu will turn itself off?

The main relay is controlled both by the ecu and an independent circuit on the adapter board.  You can turn off ign 8 just by setting ecu hold power output to none, but voltages on the pins mentioned will be more useful.  

22 minutes ago, Adamw said:

They are active because the conditions that control them are true (RPM < 3600).  

It is pretty common practice to poke the sharp probe through the insulation, or you can backprobe with a pin/needle.

The main relay is controlled both by the ecu and an independent circuit on the adapter board.  You can turn off ign 8 just by setting ecu hold power output to none, but voltages on the pins mentioned will be more useful.  

Hi Adam, 

Seems like I got lucky spent an hour after making that post checking over the O2 sensors. I swapped two sensors from another good engine I have, plug them in and ecu turns off with ignition. 

If I unplug the sensors, then turn ecu on and take away ignition they stay on. Is that normal?

Thank you.