TRIG1, TRIG2 and AUX 1

David Frechette

In a prior post it was discussed that I can use AUX1 as a duty on/off for VVT solenoid control.  Now that the STI heads are on I am seeing that they have 2 CAS where my older heads only had 1 CAS and a crank angle sensor.  With 3 possible signal inputs now how would I go about wiring both cam angle sensors and the crank angle sensor in to TRIG1 and TRIG2.  I need to break my loom apart to see which sensor goes to TRIG1 and TRIG2.  The new cam angle sensors are 3 wire reluctor type where 2 are a ground.  A diagram would be helpful if available.  

Can you confirm that there is one sensor per head, or two per head?

The V7 to V9 engines has two sensors on one head, and one sensor on the other head.

On the head with two sensors:

• One sensor sees a two pulses per cam rotation. This should go to Trigger 2.
  • The other sensor sees four pulses per cam rotation. This should go to a digital input

On the head with one sensor, this should go to a digital input channel.

The crank position sensor will still go to Trig 1.

If your engine is not like this can you tell us what year vehicle it came from.

Scott

Can you confirm that there is one sensor per head, or two per head?

The V7 to V9 engines has two sensors on one head, and one sensor on the other head.

On the head with two sensors:

• One sensor sees a two pulses per cam rotation. This should go to Trigger 2.
  • The other sensor sees four pulses per cam rotation. This should go to a digital input

On the head with one sensor, this should go to a digital input channel.

The crank position sensor will still go to Trig 1.

If your engine is not like this can you tell us what year vehicle it came from.

Scott

Adam I had two accounts that were merged so I think it was lost, I couldn't find it either.  

LEM G1 V5

2001 Subaru 2.5L closed deck block with 2006 STI Heads.

On the new heads there is (1) cam angle sensor per head (2) total, they are (3) wire.  The block still retained the crank sensor.  The older heads that were removed only had (1) 2 wire cam angle sensor.  

I am going to use the AUX1 as an on/off duty from RPM to the (2) cam solenoids.  

The engine out of the 2004 onwards 2.5L WRX uses hall sensors for the cams. So you will need a +5V supply to them.

The engine also uses a different trigger pattern (tooth arrangement) than the earlier WRX engines. I suspect that your ECU will not support this trigger mode. Can you post a photo showing the trigger sub-board inside your ECU?

The cams on this engine are designed to be controlled continuously in closed loop by varying the solenoid duty cycle. By having the solenoid hard on or hard off you could run into a problem where engine components could possibly interfere.

Scott

Hmmm, ok.  I read the manual and asked my builder what type of sensors and he did say magnetic reluctor.  So maybe the heads are earlier model. I will confirm this and get a pic of the sub board before proceeding and get back to you.  What are my options if the AVCS needs a variable signal, these are only single valve (intake) control.  

If its got variable cams its going to be an ECU change to allow them to operate none of the G1s were able to control fully variable vvt.

Simon, please see my October 17 post titled VVT Control where you commented.  I guess the main question is; does single cam valve control require a variable output from the ECM?  Also the CAS are in fact Hall type as Scott pointed out.  Does the V5 have a digital signal input compatible with digital sensors.  The forum will not allow me to upload the photo of the sub board, keeps coming up upload failed.  

Just thinking ahead, what ECM would you recommend?  I would like to incorporate knock sense as well.  

Edited by David Frechette
Forgot to ask.

The G1s can do an on off control (Vtec as an example)  but the Subaru requires a full closed loop control with feedback from the position sensors.

There is no digital input on the LEM at all. There is also no sub-board to suit the later motors with Hall sensors for the cams.

The entry level option for VVT control and Knock would be the G4+ Storm. If you were to leave Knock out then the New Monsoon would be a good option.

The G1s can do an on off control (Vtec as an example)  but the Subaru requires a full closed loop control with feedback from the position sensors.

There is no digital input on the LEM at all. There is also no sub-board to suit the later motors with Hall sensors for the cams.

The entry level option for VVT control and Knock would be the G4+ Storm. If you were to leave Knock out then the New Monsoon would be a good option.

Thank you Simon.  

• 1 month later...

Thank you Simon.  

Ok, so I was able to find a brand new G4+ Fury, I know its way more than what I need but I couldn't pass up the price.  Can you confirm my cross connect from the G1V5 break out to the LOOM A break out.  Since most of features from my existing set up from the G1V5 remain except for the newly required need for digital inputs for the CAS and VVT control from the new heads.  I need some help on the VVT solenoid power.  See attached.  Your input is appreciated.  

G1V5 - G4+Fury Cross Connect.pdf

Edited by David Frechette
reformatted pdf

On a quick scan you will need trigger 2 input. If you only have the 2 cam sensors it will be one of these. Check the pic link help file to confirm lh or rh bank. 

Ign 3 would have been a tachometer output on the v5 this would be better wired to a aux on the fury.

solenoid power will need to be a switched supply could be from coil or injector supply.

Edited by Simon