EML legal requirement for MOTs from mid May

M1tch

Hi there,

Just wanted to check something, in May the UK MOT is changing with various updates to how the advisories and fails are now classified, its mainly a clamp down on those who try and gut the DPF filters for diesels but I also notice that the EML is also part of the MOT.

Basically, the EML has to come on with the key on, then go off to show no faults stored - failure to do so results in a major advisory and a fail.

I haven't yet installed my Link Xtreme, however I believe I am right in saying that the EML isn't used at all with the ECU meaning that running this ECU will mean that the vehicle will fail its MOT - basically meaning running a Link in the UK on the road becomes illegal as it classes the car as unroadworthy.

Just wanted to check if I am correct regarding the EML on the Link ECU and how this could be mitigated if it is the case - having spent a fair amount on getting a Link Xtreme and sorting out the wiring harness for it to becomes useless is rather disappointing.

9 hours ago, Brad Burnett said:

The link ecu can be set up with the EML configured on a spare aux out.  It will function as it should and should there be a fault it will illuminate.

Are you able to let me know the settings for this? 

5 hours ago, Adamw said:

K0TdELv.png

Thanks for that, the issue being is that my Link Xtreme needs to be wired into the car in a piggyback fashion and I need to retain the stock ECU for some function - I don't think that this setting will work on mine.

47 minutes ago, M1tch said:

Thanks for that, the issue being is that my Link Xtreme needs to be wired into the car in a piggyback fashion and I need to retain the stock ECU for some function - I don't think that this setting will work on mine.

In a piggy back situation I wire the old EML light into the Link on a DI so you know if there is something wrong with the OE ECU and then just wire the Dash to an Aux Out configured as the CEL  from the link.

16 minutes ago, ClintBHP said:

In a piggy back situation I wire the old EML light into the Link on a DI so you know if there is something wrong with the OE ECU and then just wire the Dash to an Aux Out configured as the CEL  from the link.

Thank you, I will check to see if my Link ECU does fire the EML or not - I am using a Boomsland plug and play harness so they might have already done this to ensure all OEM dash functions work.

Apologies if I sounded a bit blunt in my initial post, having invested in the Link ECU I didn't want it to cause issues with the road worthiness of the car as the project car is a road car rather than a track only car.

52 minutes ago, M1tch said:

Thank you, I will check to see if my Link ECU does fire the EML or not - I am using a Boomsland plug and play harness so they might have already done this to ensure all OEM dash functions work.

Apologies if I sounded a bit blunt in my initial post, having invested in the Link ECU I didn't want it to cause issues with the road worthiness of the car as the project car is a road car rather than a track only car.

Let me know if we can help further were in the UK 01474 850666

1 hour ago, ClintBHP said:

Let me know if we can help further were in the UK 01474 850666

Looks like the EML does come on then go off when you put the key in using the PnP harness I have - still having issues trying to get a basemap sorted on it, have followed the guide in the PClink to setup for the 1zz engine but not got it to fire yet :(