R32 GTR issues

Chris.W

Hello Everyone ,

I've got a couple off issues with my G4+ Plug in (I've gone from a Power Fc to this).

Since I've installed it I haven't been able to get a steady speed reading out of it. It's very erractic (was getting a smooth reading on the power fc). I've tried rising and falling edge but doesn't make a difference. Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

Also the ABS pump/motor pulses on with the ABS light on the dash as the tacho does it's sweep before starting the engine which it didn't do before. What does the ecu trigger on power up that would possibly cause this?

I've attatched a short log and the .pclr file if that helps

Thanks

Chris

Log 2018-09-16 11;48;53 am.llg

GTR 16Sept2018.pclr

It might be getting upset that there is a Tacho signal without the engine actually running.

For the speed side you could try with the pullup turned off and see if you still have a signal. Also check the main connector is fully seated as have seen it where it has bent a little and the connections have not been 100%.

• 1 month later...

presume you guys are talking about the Speed (MPH/KMH) reading not RPM?  The Power FC logs so slow you never see the in consistence figures like you see from a Datlog on a Link ECU,  The speed signal comes from the speedo as the speedo drive is via a cable to the speedo then as a electrical signal from the speedo to the ECU

Just turn the rev counter sweep off.

AUX Outputs>Tacho>Key ON Sweep ON to OFF

K

35 minutes ago, AbbeyMS said:

presume you guys are talking about the Speed (MPH/KMH) reading not RPM?  The Power FC logs so slow you never see the in consistence figures like you see from a Datlog on a Link ECU,  The speed signal comes from the speedo as the speedo drive is via a cable to the speedo then as a electrical signal from the speedo to the ECU

Yes speed (km/hr) reading zero at random times. I had a Vipec plug in and no issues at all, straight after swapping to Link G4+ plug in it's had issues, like the other 2. I assume it's something to do with filtering, I just want a fix because it's stopping me being able to run anything dependant on a semi reliable speed source (launch control, boost control etc)

15 hours ago, AbbeyMS said:

It will say wheel speed but it will be picked up from the speedo output.

All the Skylines take the speedo input from the gearbox but list as wheel speed

Correct, comes as wheel speed but it's picked up by the gearbox drive

On 9/21/2018 at 5:29 AM, Stu UK said:

I have the same eratic speed issue on my R32 GT-R too. Let us know how you get on.

19 hours ago, SimonR32 said:

Bump, this is now 3 users with issues with the speed reading that have posted on here. Is there anything that can be done? 

I'm going to guess it's even more common, just not a lot of people look at speed in logs

Have you both already tried setting the DI to use the opposite edge?    

In the R32 it is common for the reed switch at the back of the speedo to get sticky, sometimes swapping the edge can give you a better signal.  If not you will have to connect a scope to the DI so we can see why the ECU is not happy with the signal.

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

Have you both already tried setting the DI to use the opposite edge?    

In the R32 it is common for the reed switch at the back of the speedo to get sticky, sometimes swapping the edge can give you a better signal.  If not you will have to connect a scope to the DI so we can see why the ECU is not happy with the signal.

29 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Yes, I tried the opposite edge but it didn't really make any difference. Must have a log file somewhere. I'll have a look.

Also tried both edges with no luck. As I mentioned before, it was perfect with my old plug in Vipec but as soon as I changed to Link it became an issue so I'm assuming it's a software issue with how it interprets the signal

The vi-pec ran the same firmware the Link Just the Link units had some stuff turned off.

Did you go from V series to a G4+ ?

However I would not expect any changes on the Di side. Much more likely there is actually an issue with the input.  Getting a scope on to the signal is the only way to confirm this 100%

Looking at the log file posted for the speed, there seems to be a frequency doubling artifact.  This might be caused by a double edge on each transition causing the ECU to randomly see twice the frequency.  possible issues could be compromised grounding (old loom with oxidised ground rings maybe?), a low pass RC filter might help.

HTH,

RIchard.

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2018 at 8:03 PM, Chris.W said:

Hello Everyone ,

I've got a couple off issues with my G4+ Plug in (I've gone from a Power Fc to this).

Since I've installed it I haven't been able to get a steady speed reading out of it. It's very erractic (was getting a smooth reading on the power fc). I've tried rising and falling edge but doesn't make a difference. Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

Also the ABS pump/motor pulses on with the ABS light on the dash as the tacho does it's sweep before starting the engine which it didn't do before. What does the ecu trigger on power up that would possibly cause this?

I've attatched a short log and the .pclr file if that helps

Thanks

Chris

Log 2018-09-16 11;48;53 am.llg

GTR 16Sept2018.pclr

Had the same issue.ive found in the later model R32 cluster they use a reed switch which gives the signal.available from Jaycar  just have to solder in the new one.mine was erratic and is now stable up to 240 km on the link software.

• 2 years later...
On 10/10/2020 at 11:56 PM, Tomm said:

Had the same issue.ive found in the later model R32 cluster they use a reed switch which gives the signal.available from Jaycar  just have to solder in the new one.mine was erratic and is now stable up to 240 km on the link software.

Hello where do you solder the reed switch too thanks, i’m converting some late clocks to work in an early car by swapping all the clock faces however the late model Speedo has the reed switch in I’m not sure if it will work in the early cluster housing thanks 

I cant find a pic of an R32 one but the honda one below looks very similar to how I remember the skyline one looking.  In the first pic you can see the tails of the reed switch are soldered to the 2 brass screw pads that go through the back of the speedo case.  That white plastic bridge piece is the mount for the reed switch.  The reed switch is the little glass tube in the 2nd pic.  The silver disc in the 3rd pic is the magnet that spins under the reed switch. 

REHefrKa.jpg

prB12B0a.jpg

oyYDQAR.jpg