Windows Tablet Dash Configeration

Cambo

Hi,

This reminds me, when I tried to calculate my gears last time I took my car out, every time I tried it just showed 'Finished' even though I hadn't started moving.

I completely forgot about it as I do not use the gear in any of my current settings however this reminded to look into it.
My data shows 'Gear Ratio Calc' as 655.35 the whole time I am not moving, once I start moving through the gears this numbers drops with each gear change.

Obvious now that it is reading movement when I am at a standstill hence why is instantly states calculating and then finished before I even move off.
I have posted a screen shot showing the data and my settings, but before I next take my car out I thought it easier to ask, should I be turning off the pull up resistor or changing the leading edge?

Thanks,
Edward.

P.S I also need to recalibrate the speed units as my KPH reading is actually showing MPH figures.

GearRPMLink.jpg

You should calibrate the DI so the speed reads reasonably accurate first.  Otherwise if you fix it later it will upset your gear calc.

As for doing the gear calibration it sounds like you are setting it to calibrate before the wheels are at speed.  You need to have the wheels moving before you set it to calibrate like the instructions above say.  Its usually easiest to do this in a stationary car with the wheels just jacked up off the ground

Hi,

Thanks,.
I did try this but clearly I wasn't rolling enough for it to register for my first gear calibration , as soon as I pressed calibrate it instantly said finished.
I wasn't sure if the 655.35 gear ratio calc reading at standstill meant it was reading inverted.
The speed is bang on accurate as calibrated by GPS but I didn't realise it was showing KPH while I was adjusting to show an MPH figure.

I will adjust the readings so that the KPH is GPS accurate as KPH, then get the car on the ramp and go through the first few gears calibration to see how it goes.

So a reading of 655.35 at standstill is perfectly normal?

Thanks again for your quick reply.
Edward.

The calculation is based on a 16bit value.  The largest 16bit number is 65535, the ratio parameter has a resolution of 0.01 so a gear ratio of 655.35 is the biggest number the ecu can compute.  Really since you are trying to divide speed by zero (RPM), the correct ratio should be "infinity" but obviously electronics have trouble counting to infinity...

Interesting issue now....set the new dash layout on the laptop and want to load it onto the tablet (Surface Pro4).

Copied it to a usb flash drive and loaded it onto tablet. 

Now that "new" layout reverts to the "old" layout no matter what I try. 

Put the flash drive back in the laptop, open it, and I see the "new" straight away.

Have I missed something?  

Copied it to the flash drive, loaded to the tablet, and opened it from the shortcut made..... went straight to the old version. 

Tried opening from the flashdrive via the menu and not the shortcut...... Went straight to the old version.

Tried opening via LINK ecu menu.....old version

Removed flashdrive  and put in the laptop ..... loaded the new version.

Its still not clear what you are doing.  Here's how I would do it:

On the laptop with the layout you want to use loaded, go to >layout>save layout as, give it a unique name and save it to your USB stick. 

Insert the USB stick into the tablet, copy the new layout file to the link Layout folder, C:\Link G4\PCLink G4+\Layouts.

Open PC Link on the tablet, open a map, then go to >layout>Load layout, and choose the new layout you just copied.

Tried all sorts and nothing worked. Ended up redoing it all on the tablet. 1 thing I did notice is the layout display only loads in a particular link file type. Other saved files are in pclink and wont open. 

Gave up trying to make it work and redid it on the tablet, which is painfully slow.

In trying to setup gear selection, doing the gear ratio calibration and found it simply doesn't work. Followed instructions as in help file and it won't calibrate. Only thing I can't do on the tablet while trying to calibrate, is bring up the values menu (f12) to check the speed.  There is a speed display working on the dash so don't think its a speed sensor input fault. At a loss to figure it out. Don't want to muck shit up so will leave it for now. 

On 10/6/2018 at 6:50 PM, Cambo said:

In trying to setup gear selection, doing the gear ratio calibration and found it simply doesn't work.

Of course it works, I see it set up and working in nearly every log I look at.  

On 10/6/2018 at 6:50 PM, Cambo said:

Followed instructions as in help file and it won't calibrate. Only thing I can't do on the tablet while trying to calibrate, is bring up the values menu (f12) to check the speed.

If you didnt look at the runtimes screen then you obviously didnt follow the instructions.  You dont need an F12 key to access the runtimes, thats just a keyboard shortcut, you can click on the menubar>tuning>runtime values.  The runtimes is a key part of the set up as it will tell you if it is happy or not, when its finished and when you can move on to the next gear.

I followed the instructions to the letter in the help menu. As I said I couldn't select the f12 on the tablet and the instructions weren't clear to select that other than the f12 key.

Display the Misc tab of the Runtime Values window (F12 key). Look for the Gear Ratio Status (right hand column).

As I'm not familiar with the LINK system I am learning as I go. So far I have found it isn't straight forward and a lot of going back and forward

is needed. Why isn't there a straight forward sequence to setting up a particular system?

I have set up Autronic systems in groupA rally cars and production cars and found that relatively easy. Also familiar with Hondata and Motech in various rally cars. But this link is a bit redneck in comparison. But as I said I'm not that familiar with it yet. Still earning, and appreciate the help from those that obviously know all the tricks.

• 1 month later...

Hi to all, just setup my dashboard using pc link software. But how to set the limit like RPM, ECT and other display for this. I am planning to do a tablet setup to my car as a display when driving. Need help to do the limit same like a warning when u exceed from normal reading. Please advise. Sorry for my broken english :(