Using Factory Knock Sensor VR4Link/ DSM

wrx110487

In the G4+ VR4Link pinout, it skips over Pin 9 on the ECU which is the factory knock sensor. My question is whether my factory 1g DSM knock sensor will work correctly with my Link G4+ ECU or do I have to use an analog input and different knock sensor (most likely a Bosch donut sensor)? I would like to use as many of the analog inputs as possible and not having to use one for the knock sensor would be great if everything would still work correctly. Thanks, Chris

Unfortunately the knock pin is not connected on the VR4 ECU.  You cannot connect it to any other input, it needs to be to the dedicated knock input.  If you were willing and know someone that is reasonably capable with soldering I could give you some instructions on how to solder in a link wire to connect the knock pin to the knock input.  

Yes that would be great. That actually leads me to another question. I will overrun the “on board” map sensor making it useless to me currently. Under the same guidelines would I potentially be able to solder a jumper wire from the on board map sensor input to the AN Volt 3 pin and use that channel to run a 5 bar map sensor through there? Thanks again

So you're going to run more than 44Psi boost?  AN Volt 3 would need quite a bit of messing around to disconnect from the existing MAP and make it usable for an external device.  Did you know you have AN 4 (o2 sensor) and AN2 (MAF) available on the header?

I will send you a drawing later how to connect the knock.

Yes I'll be hoping to push into the mid 50's boost this year. Ok that's good to know about AN Volt 3. 

Here's my inputs so far:

• AN 1 - TPS
  • AN 2 - MAP
  • AN 3 - On Board Map/Not Used
  • AN 4 - Wideband
  • AN 5 - Oil Pressure
  • AN 6 - Fuel Pressure

But I'll have to drop one if I need to use one of them for a knock sensor input. As I mentioned in our message, the most confusing part of all this is that I have two friends running this same exact VR4Link plugin ecu on their 1g DSM's and they've told me numerous times they are using a Bosch donut style sensor to the factory knock input (pin 9) and it all works flawlessly. From your first reply above it seems like that couldn't be possible.

1 hour ago, wrx110487 said:

the most confusing part of all this is that I have two friends running this same exact VR4Link plugin ecu on their 1g DSM's and they've told me numerous times they are using a Bosch donut style sensor to the factory knock input (pin 9) and it all works flawlessly. From your first reply above it seems like that couldn't be possible.

The knock pin is not connected, it will not work any other way except as per the instructions I have given you.    

• 3 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 1:27 AM, Adamw said:

Unfortunately the knock pin is not connected on the VR4 ECU.  You cannot connect it to any other input, it needs to be to the dedicated knock input.  If you were willing and know someone that is reasonably capable with soldering I could give you some instructions on how to solder in a link wire to connect the knock pin to the knock input.  

Could you share this information with me as well?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 10:27 PM, Adamw said:

I just bought a VR4Link G4 ECU. Can I have the info on how to hook up the knock sensor jumper wire it sounds like? I will hopefully be messing with it this week.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, theFiztec said:

Hi @Adamw, Is this also apply to Evo 1-3 Plugin? Can your also share me the info. Tried wiring up knock thru ANVolt but did't work.

Thanks

The factory knock sensor is already connected on the Evo1-3, you do not need to do anything except turn it on and tune it.

1 minute ago, Adamw said:

The factory knock sensor is already connected on the Evo1-3, you do not need to do anything except turn it on and tune it.

Thanks adamw. i'll follow the evo 3 OEM pinout which knock input in on pin 58. since i'm using this ecu on daihatsu. 

• 2 months later...

I'm also looking to do this for a DSM application with the VR4Link G4+ Plugin Ecu, Adam would you be able to send the instructions over?

If this modification is done, the factory Mitsubishi knock sensor can be used?  Could a Bosch sensor be used in its place? 

• 7 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 4:42 PM, reymartinez28 said:

@Adamw I'm also looking to do this for a 1g DSM application with the VR4Link G4+ Plugin Ecu or should i use the XS expansion loom with the KNOCK SENSOR (KNS)

Have sent you a PM.  XS loom wont help but you will want a decent wideband knock sensor, I cant remember what the VR4's had for a sensor.

• 11 months later...

The G4X VR4 ecu currently uses the same adapter board as the G4+ did so the knock pin is still not available.  If you have a bit of time up your sleeve you could get your dealer to place a special order with link and they will add the wire link before shipping.  Otherwise Im happy to give you info to be able to do it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 8:09 PM, Adamw said:

The G4X VR4 ecu currently uses the same adapter board as the G4+ did so the knock pin is still not available.  If you have a bit of time up your sleeve you could get your dealer to place a special order with link and they will add the wire link before shipping.  Otherwise Im happy to give you info to be able to do it yourself.

Adamw, would you mind sending me the procedure on how to connect the knock sensor on the VR4 ecu too?

- Thanks

• 4 weeks later...