2jzgte idle settings

Stower93

So has anyone experienced idle issues with the 2jzgte on the link plug n play ecu? Been through 2 tuners now and both have had issues getting it to idle correctly. And the iacv has been tested. These are my settings in the idle control menus. They just dont seem right to me. Can anyone give any insite

Idle base position

Ect      steps 

30          97

-20        344

-10        344

0            344

10          344

20          250

30          250

40          250

50           250

60           100

Idle ignition control off. Setting when its on are all 0

Idle load trims are all at 0.00ms

Idle speed control settings 

Isc mode     open loop

Base target/ table mode       2d

Stepper motor         bipolar 4 terminal 

Stepper motor direction      reversed 

Stepper reset        key off 

Fuel lockout      0 sec

Max clamp      700

Min clamp       140

Engine fan step, power steer step and neutral park step are all at 0

Idle target rpm has been set to 1200rpm right through the ect range except for 40c where its set to 1000rpm.

Now this the way it cam from my tuner. I haven't touched anything at all. It was sort of idling before the cams went in and now it wont idle at all when its warm. These settings just dont seem right to me. I am still learning but. I have a 2jzgte, single turbo, 850cc injectors, walbro 450 intank, 6 speed manual and 272 cams with 9.5 lift that have been dialled in as close as possible to spec

The actual base position numbers look ballpark correct although the big jump between 50 & 60°C seems out of place.  

I suggest you give it a go yourself, follow the instructions below.  Save a copy of the current map first so you can always load it back in if you make things worse.  Once you have the base position table "tuned" you will find you will get better control by turning on and setting up the idle ignition control - but I suggest you get the base position right first.

nyww8n.png

So i should bring it up to 250 from 100 like the others? Or just bring it up in increments until it gets better? And yeah from what i have read it will idle better when i turn on the idle ignition control. Bit of a noob question but what does ot mean buy "steps" in the idle base table?

So i have been messsing around with the base position table it helped with the problem alot. So thanks very much for. Only issue i had is that when i touched the throttle it sounded like it went extremely rich and crap some plugs. Im yet to pull them out but would that have something to do with the idle ignition control i need to setup?

Any ideas on where i should start looking for the fuel issue. I have since found that my injectors are 800cc not 850cc and the dead times are different. And should i be using a modelled fuel table instead of a traditional on?? Again im still learning about this. 

Just seems strange i can get it idle comfortably now but as soon as there is throttle input, bye bye spark plugs.

8 hours ago, Stower93 said:

Any ideas on where i should start looking for the fuel issue. I have since found that my injectors are 800cc not 850cc and the dead times are different. And should i be using a modelled fuel table instead of a traditional on?? Again im still learning about this. 

Just seems strange i can get it idle comfortably now but as soon as there is throttle input, bye bye spark plugs.

sound like the accel enrichment is off, do the same as with the idle map, save the rom and then have a go with the accel enrichment, you can tune the part that you are taking about pretty much without touching the street or the dyno, and then go for a ride.

It will be easier if you can give us a log of this happening.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1LRANeO4A

I see a couple of problems in your tune you can fix.

1. Gear shift control is enabled and is being triggered by DI2 which is your ignition switch.  Change "start shift mode" to off will disable this.  I doubt it is doing anything but switch it off to eliminate it.
  2. There is a random high number in your fuel table, @ 2500RPM, 150KPa, again it is unlikely that will ever be used but still it would be better without it.

2z8da8x.png

Ok i can get a log that's no problem. Can get that in a couple of days. Ive  changed the start shift mode to off. That fuel value does seem strange. That is max boost for me at the moment and i do make boost quite early. Should i just drop it back down to a value to something similar within that group of numbers?

Ok so here is the log. Its been pretty warm here today so it didnt take long to warm up. I dont think it crapped plugs today but its rich as hell. backfiring under load and the varing throttle is me getting it to idle. If you need anymore info just let me know

Log 2018-12-31 7;12;05 pm.llg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been overseas on holiday with only a little 8" tablet that is not much good for looking at logs.

I dont see anything obviously wrong with the fueling side.  Assuming the fundimentals such as fuel pressure hasnt changed since it was tuned then I would be thinking it is probably related to the camshafts and the tune may need a tickle up. For instance it probably had stronger vacuum at idle with the stock cams which would reduce the amount of fuel injected.

A couple of other things I noticed:

Some idle settings are wrong that are probably preventing the idle control from working at all.  The stepper motor type should be set to "unipolar 6 terminal" and the stepper direction should be set to normal.  You will probably need to do that base position table again after fixing that.

I also notice the TP is sitting at 2.9% most of the time.  That may mean it is sticking open slightly or it could just need re-calibration. Fix that before messing with the base position table again.

2ikxs9z.png

Just got to say a big thanks for your help mate. Changed the settings you suggested and it starts, runs and idles perfect now. It doesn't even over fuel when i start giving it some throttle. Will obviously need a fine tune but its enough to do a run in and then off to get a full tune. I have learnt so much from you and and watching the videos from the high performance academy.  Thanks heaps

• 2 years later...
On 12/23/2018 at 3:55 PM, Adamw said:

The actual base position numbers look ballpark correct although the big jump between 50 & 60°C seems out of place.  

I suggest you give it a go yourself, follow the instructions below.  Save a copy of the current map first so you can always load it back in if you make things worse.  Once you have the base position table "tuned" you will find you will get better control by turning on and setting up the idle ignition control - but I suggest you get the base position right first.

http://i63.tinypic.com/nyww8n.png

Can these instructions be posted again please 

On 12/23/2018 at 3:55 PM, Adamw said:

http://i63.tinypic.com/nyww8n.png

Hi can you re upload the instructions 

• 3 weeks later...

The last 2jzgte I used closed loop idle control with a 3D base position table based on coolant temp and rpm target and was able to get it pretty dialed.  Unfortunatley most of these engines I've tuned do seem to change what base position they need from time to time - not sure if it's an improper homing at shut down with the ecu, or if the steppers just aren't as repeatable as one would like them to be.