Spartan 3ADV CAN Wideband connection issue

TommyBee

7 hours ago, cj said:

Try setting divider to 1000 on the can stream setup for "lambda 1". The spartan adv3 manual says this value is sent as lambda x 1000 on the wire.

The current lambda value is clearly wrong - it only ever changes during initialisation, so looks like it might be reading a status field not a lambda value. Are you certain the controller is sending in default mode?

That's not the issue, I have another unit working with the same stream as posted above.  Yes it's in default mode as the 3rd byte is clearly lambda temperature.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 2:57 AM, cj said:

Try setting divider to 1000 on the can stream setup for "lambda 1". The spartan adv3 manual says this value is sent as lambda x 1000 on the wire.

The current lambda value is clearly wrong - it only ever changes during initialisation, so looks like it might be reading a status field not a lambda value. Are you certain the controller is sending in default mode?

The Spartan 3ADV have been pulled from sale in the UK mate due to various faulty units, I was just unlucky to be one of them! I’ve now bought an AEM X Wideband and installing next week as I had a refund on the Spartan. Thanks for you help and hopefully this thread will provide help in the future if anyone buys a second hand one.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BRD said:

this is a bugger as i just got 1 of these and half way thought fitting it, so it wont work the the Link g4+ then? 

Yes it will work with the link, I have spent many hours in the last few weeks testing multiple units on our 2jz test bed.  What I have discovered is that with the the new firmware and a tweak of the settings its performance is very good.  Please see the list below for the settings I have found to work well :-

Firmware 1.09

setfilter15 

setcanformat1

setcanid950

This will put it into link mode and average the samples (it does read very fast in default mode which can lead to some increased noise in the output) 

With a filter setting of 15 it still has a good time constant whilst averaging out the outlying readings. 

HTH, 

Richard. 

1 hour ago, Richard Hill said:

Yes it will work with the link, I have spent many hours in the last few weeks testing multiple units on our 2jz test bed.  What I have discovered is that with the the new firmware and a tweak of the settings its performance is very good.  Please see the list below for the settings I have found to work well :-

Firmware 1.09

setfilter15 

setcanformat1

setcanid950

This will put it into link mode and average the samples (it does read very fast in default mode which can lead to some increased noise in the output) 

With a filter setting of 15 it still has a good time constant whilst averaging out the outlying readings. 

HTH, 

Richard. 

hi mate how do get the new FW?  and how do it update it all?  if i do this is will work ok with the G4+  im fitting it to a 3sgte with 1200cc injectors 

New firmware is here :-

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0189/1312/files/Spartan_3_ADV_Firmware_1_09.zip?52

You will need a Windows computer with Bluetooth.  Instructions are in the zip file.  

If you have any problems, give me a ring on 01474853219 UK working hours and I can talk you through. 

HTH, 

Richard.

49 minutes ago, Richard Hill said:

New firmware is here :-

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0189/1312/files/Spartan_3_ADV_Firmware_1_09.zip?52

You will need a Windows computer with Bluetooth.  Instructions are in the zip file.  

If you have any problems, give me a ring on 01474853219 UK working hours and I can talk you through. 

HTH, 

Richard.

thanks need finish the wiring for it and will go from there, thanks for the help 

• 2 years later...

Bringing back this topic for a quick question after spending some time searching and reading.

If the Spartan3 is set to Link mode on Id#950, then can I connect multiple units and set them up separately for Lambda1,2,3,4 the same way as the Link CAN Lambda? If the CAN Devices tab will only sow real Link CAN Lambdas (as per earlier comment), then I assume not, but wanted to check.

If this is not possible, is there any plan to refresh the Link CAN Lambda to support LSU ADV sensors?

4 hours ago, Rozsko said:

Bringing back this topic for a quick question after spending some time searching and reading.

If the Spartan3 is set to Link mode on Id#950, then can I connect multiple units and set them up separately for Lambda1,2,3,4 the same way as the Link CAN Lambda? If the CAN Devices tab will only sow real Link CAN Lambdas (as per earlier comment), then I assume not, but wanted to check.

Spartan 3 has serial to USB connection, where you can send commands from computer (using terminal) to change parameters (CAN ID, etc.). You can see overview how to connect on Spartan 3 user manual. This though is quite complicated --- so it might be the best idea to request to have different CAN IDs pre-configured as you order 'em from 14point7.

1 hour ago, essb00 said:

Spartan 3 has serial to USB connection, where you can send commands from computer (using terminal) to change parameters (CAN ID, etc.). You can see overview how to connect on Spartan 3 user manual. This though is quite complicated --- so it might be the best idea to request to have different CAN IDs pre-configured as you order 'em from 14point7.

Thanks Essb00, but that is exactly the thing I want to avoid, since I am running out of available custom CAN frames.

So, let me rephrase. Can I use 4 "Spartan 3" on the same ID (950) and assign Lambda1,2,3,4 the same way as you can do with "Link CAN Lambda"s?

14 minutes ago, Rozsko said:

Thanks Essb00, but that is exactly the thing I want to avoid, since I am running out of available custom CAN frames.

So, let me rephrase. Can I use 4 "Spartan 3" on the same ID (950) and assign Lambda1,2,3,4 the same way as you can do with "Link CAN Lambda"s?

Only one CAN-lambda per CAN ID (950, 951, 952, 953 on your case)... Having different ID per device is the only way for the ECU to know from which device it is receiving data from.

16 minutes ago, essb00 said:

Only one CAN-lambda per CAN ID (950, 951, 952, 953 on your case)... Having different ID per device is the only way for the ECU to know from which device it is receiving data from.

I was going to paste the link of a previous topic that I opened (actually here it comes: https://forums.linkecu.com/topic/13222-link-can-lambda-stream-setup/) where Adam explained how it works to prove that only 1 ID will be used by the Link modules, but I scrolled through it and realized he talks about one CHANNEL and not one id, as the ECU expects Lambda2 to be 951, Lambda3 to be 953 and so on.

So, along with your thoughts, actually that answers my question. If the Spartan3 devices are assigned id 950, 951, 952,.. and all are set as Link CAN, then I can use multiple devices on the same CHANNEL that is set to Link lambda in the ECU.

2 minutes ago, Adamw said:

essb00 is correct.  You need to program the spartans with a unique ID each between 950-958, you do this either with USB or bluetooth depending on how old it is.  In the ECU you only set one channel to "Link CAN Lambda", it captures all lambda ID's.

Just two seconds before my reply realizing how dumb I am. :lol: