Electro hydraulic power steer pump control.

Gsab

In over my head a bit here. Can the can stream be customized to wake up an electro hydraulic power steer pump ?

Using a Link g4 Thunder.Can the thunder can be programmed for this ? If so I presume I would need the can protocol for the specific pump I want to use.

Insight here ?

Need to add that this is fitted to a non can vehicle.

14 hours ago, Gsab said:

Can the can stream be customized to wake up an electro hydraulic power steer pump ?

Yes the G4+ CAN is quite flexible and can generally be used to get most OEM devices functioning.

The tricky bit for you however is finding info on the CAN messages the pump needs to operate.  Typically you would sniff a working car with the OEM ecu still in place to reverse engineer what is needed.

If you have info on what messages are required then I can help you set the Link up to duplicate it.

What pump are you looking to use?

I'm using a Volvo pump which does have a CAN connection but it runs in a default mode without CAN with just an on signal which on the stock vehicle is an alternator output.

I'm using an output that's engine RPM over 500 to trigger the pump on.

I believe the mini pump runs in a default mode as well. I was going to use one before I went with the volvo.

I've not seen any concrete CANbus decoding for any of the electric pumps. The problem is that most of the people using them don't have the car they go in to log data streams.

I did actually find a logged data stream for a Volvo but then you have to figure out what the steering pump may actually use. Does it just use speed and engine RPM? Does it use Gforce information from the ABS module? Braking Force? Hard to say without hacking into a stock vehicle.... or taking a pump, hooking it up and blasting it will a whole array of messages until it "does something".

4 hours ago, Gsab said:

Brilliant info barge ! Thanks. Also have the Ford/Volvo unit.

Glad I could be of help. I have pretty much the same unit but with a Cap on top. FYI I also found a connector pack on ebay for the power and signal connectors.

Also note that the "engine running" signal is +12v, high, for the pump to run. And there's a couple second delay on it.

• 3 years later...