Connection and VR sensor

Steffen Laursen

Hi

New to Link and having a problem with connection to the ecu

No problem to connect to the ECU but when cranking the engine is the ECU offline few seconds after the ignition key is turned to engine start

Also problems with signal from triggers

Connected according to diagram to trigger 1 with shielded cable

There is signal with trigger scope but seems weak

Hi

Its G4+ plug inn to Subaru STI ver 10 with a V7 STI engine with crank trigger, trigger at LH inlet cam wheel and 2 VR trigger at the rear of the cyl. head land right

Connected as follows

Crankshaft trigger to trigger 1

trigger at LH inlet cam wheel TO TRIGGER 2

LH VR sensor to DIG 1

RH VR sensor to DIG 2

Has anyone any information how to calibrate crank and camshaft trigger

One would assume that as its a known setup with  36-2-2-2 trigger that calibration is not needed

The help file states that the calibration procedure involves ignition stroboscope, a bit hard with direct ignition.

Is there a complete drawing showing all pins as I need that in order to trace power and ground, or is the std. Subaru wiring diagrams for that.

A lot of question so any help i highly appreciated

Ok, did you try the 06/07 jumpers in both positions?  As they effect which pins control the main relay.  Also to confirm you have the correct ECU, did you check you have no wires on pin A1, A2, A3?  

The main power circuit works like this:

A +12V signal from ignition switch comes in to pin B19.  That switches a Mosfet on which then grounds either pin C23 (jumper position 07) or C24 (jumper position 06).  These pins are the trigger to the main relay (ground turns the relay on).  When the main relay turns on that should supply the main 12V to the ECU via pin A7 and the ECU can then power up. 

Hi Adam

Thanks for the reply and the explanation on the power circuit

Yes I checked, and have no wires on pin A1, A2 ,A3, its is 2007 version

The ECU powers up nicely when ignition is on, so im not sure if its the jumpers 

The problem is that the ECU goes offline when cranking the engine, I can reconnect when cranking and sometime comes the ECU online, but its random so something is wrong, and when it comes online is there a message that that the program on ECU and PC is different  ?

More failure search during weekend, have borrowed a scope so I can check the triggers

Any comments on the trigger calibration procedure, do I need a "interface" to connect between coil on plug and the spark plug in order to connect timing lamp

The best option for checking the timing is to use a short HT lead to put between the coil and the plug. 

There are also some more high end timing lights that will trigger on the ECU to coil signal but a shot HT lead is more than enough.

As a test for the ECU going offline during cranking, can you try grounding pin C23 with a temporary wire/jumper lead or similar (assuming your jumper is in 2007 position).  This will give us an idea which part of the circuit is causing the problem.

For the triggers you shouldnt need to do much except set the trigger mode to Subaru V7-10 (jdm).  An offset of zero would normally be close enough for it to start and run, but you will want to confirm that with a timing light before putting the engine under any load.

As for the timing light connection, you can get special leads as gtihk linked to above, but you dont normally need to get as sophisticated as that depending on what junk you have sitting around.  Any old HT lead off a distributor car will do, just poke it up the bottom of the coil and rest it on top of the plug is enough.  It doesnt need to be a good connection as the spark will jump to the easiest path to ground.

Something like this found on google images:

tMylmOk.png

Hi

Engine is running and most of the issues is solved

Reason for not starting and ECU went off line when crancking was pin A14 was still connected to trigger 1

But I have some issues

The rpm count jumps up as as soon as rev. is above 3000 rpm so the ECU activates rpm limit

Strange as the VR sensor worked fine with OEM ECU but I will try with a new sensor

Also having problems to get the DIG 1 and DIG 2 to read the cam signal, the status is off and no signal

There is signal from the sensors, they are both controlled with scope at the connector to the ECU

The sensors are connected as follows

Trigger 1 to A13 

Trigger 2 (at the backside of LH camwheel) to A21

Dig 1 to  C13

Dig 2 to A11

the low side of the VR sensors are connected to sensor ground together with the shield from the wire

Need some help to figure out what is wrong with this signal sssue so I can get the AVCS to work

My file is encl

VER10 SLA 09-03-2019.pclr

Your trig 2 input is the incorrect polarity. You will need to swap the 2 wires over so we get the inverted signal of what you currently have. 

The trigger scope only looks at the trig 1 and 2 inputs it is not able to display the digital inputs. 

Hi Simon

Thanks

That improved the situation

But im still having issues with the DIG 1 and DIG2 for the AVCS, the VR sensors is connected/programmed according to instructions in the help file

When i see the status on configuration screen is DIG 1 and DIG 2 just standing as off 

Can it be the same issus with the VR sensor polarity 

How do I get the AVCS to work, and how can I see the status on the cam position

An other question

How do I set up the IAT sensor correctly, I have the  Ford Cosworth YB ACT ATS04 ACT NTK Air Temp Sensor  but having an issue with correct wiring/setup

The status will not change the check for the inputs will be to look in the runtimes on the VVT tab and see if they are registering  You can also do the cam test function and see if they are giving suitable positions. 

Im not sure of the correct cal for that sensor you can try some of the predefined ones in a trial and error fashion and you might get one that is correct. Failing that if you take resistance measurements at known temp points you can do a custom cal.

One side of sensor should be to sensor ground and the other to a AN temp input. 

Make sure the fault values are correct for the temp channel, Error low 0.05 (close to zero) and error high 4.95 (close to 5V)