MPFI SBC W/DISTRIBUTOR

VALIUUMM

Hello all 

So I have a 92 c1500 with sbc 350 throttle body injection (TBI) and I'm look to ditch that system and go to a ram jet style fuel system like the gm performance ram jet or the older edelbrock multi port fuel injection (mpfi) (edelbrock 3501 edelbrock 3502) but im having trouble finding a link ecu that can control fuel injection on all 8 cylinders and run a distributor I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction as far as ecu choice 

What would these manifold/throttle designs have for an idle valve - 2 wire solenoid or 4/6 wire stepper motor?  1 injector per intake port?  What trigger system is inside the distributor - something capable of sequential or just 8 teeth all the same with no unique #1 identifier?

25 minutes ago, Adamw said:

What would these manifold/throttle designs have for an idle valve - 2 wire solenoid or 4/6 wire stepper motor?  1 injector per intake port?  What trigger system is inside the distributor - something capable of sequential or just 8 teeth all the same with no unique #1 identifier?

Thanks for replying manifold/throttle will be a edelbrock pro flo xt manifold with an 90mm ls1 throttle body. 1 injector per port. Distributer will be a gm performance hei ramjet distributor and the trigger system is a magnetic pickup 

Ok, if using a LS throttle body, they have a 4 pin stepper motor valve for idle control.  The minimum ecu we have that can control a stepper motor is the StormX.  

The HEI system does not have any unique sync event so the injection will be group fire with this system.  However, the Storm does have 8 injector drives and 8 ignition drives to allow sequential and direct spark if you changed to a different trigger in the future.  

4 hours ago, Adamw said:

Ok, if using a LS throttle body, they have a 4 pin stepper motor valve for idle control.  The minimum ecu we have that can control a stepper motor is the StormX.  

The HEI system does not have any unique sync event so the injection will be group fire with this system.  However, the Storm does have 8 injector drives and 8 ignition drives to allow sequential and direct spark if you changed to a different trigger in the future.  

Will it be possible to piggy back off the original ecu for ignition or can I use a msd crank wheel trigger system or would I have to run a direct ignition system. Thanks again for answering my questions it means a lot. 

2 hours ago, rrob said:

Im doing similar to a SBF at the moment. I went with the Holley dual sync distributor and a set of ls coils, this allows full sequential ignition and injection.

I just saw that dual sync distributor if I go with the msd dual sync distributor will I be able to use it as a traditional distributor or would I have to run the ls coils from what I read I can do both correct me if I'm wrong. How's your build going so far what lucky vehicle is getting the sbf?

4 hours ago, VALIUUMM said:

Will it be possible to piggy back off the original ecu for ignition or can I use a msd crank wheel trigger system or would I have to run a direct ignition system.

Not really clear what you are asking here.  The HEI distributor will work fine, just it is not capable of sequential injection.  An MSD crank trigger on its own would not be capable of sequential either - you would need some sort of cam sync sensor too.  

The Holley dual sync would give you both signals needed for sequential and direct spark capability and you could still use it for single coil/distributor ignition if you like.  There maybe other factory distributor options capable of sequential but it is not an engine family I have much experience with.

5 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Not really clear what you are asking here.  The HEI distributor will work fine, just it is not capable of sequential injection.  An MSD crank trigger on its own would not be capable of sequential either - you would need some sort of cam sync sensor too.  

The Holley dual sync would give you both signals needed for sequential and direct spark capability and you could still use it for single coil/distributor ignition if you like.  There maybe other factory distributor options capable of sequential but it is not an engine family I have much experience with.

Yea sorry for that lol. so for the manifold/throttle setup with a Holley dual sync distributor I should go with a stormx?

Thanks again for all your help so far.

15 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yes, that would be a good option.

Thank you. Another question, if I went with a intake like the edelbrock mpfi 3501/3502 with a holley 502-9 throttle (2 wire solenoid I believe) with the dual sync distributor is there a ecu for this set up? 

It looks like the 502-9 has a similar 4 wire stepper to the LS throttle, so it would still need the Storm to control that.  

If you found an option that used a 2 wire solenoid idle valve that just makes the wiring more simple and you could possibly go to one of our smaller/cheaper ecu's such as the Monsoon.  Injection would be group fire with the smaller ecu's though.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't consider a lower ecu than the Storm myself for something like this project (I mean you're going away from a TBI for a reason, right?).  Personally I like the Xtreme due to the additional inputs and outputs over the Storm, but functionally they would both be suitable for a fully sequential fuel and spark v8 application.

Just take a quick look at the quick start guides for each where it shows the pinout of the A and B loom connectors.  Most of the differences will be on the b-loom connector but there is an extra CAN 1 connection on the side of the case as well on the Xtreme:

StormX: http://www.linkecu.com/documentation/StormXQuickstartGuideG4X.pdf

XtremeX: http://linkecu.com/documentation/XtremeXQuickstartGuide.pdf

Some of the differences: Additional analog input channels, DBW or E-Throttle capabiilty, additional temp sensor input, additional outputs, dual can bus vs. single, etc.

Go with a StormX if your budget wont allow for an XtremeX. 

No point in going standalone and not going Coil Near Plug, any 4.8-5.3 truck coils would be simple to mount on the valve covers.

using the Dual sync Distributor to allow for direct spark and sequential injection will be your biggest upgrade over the TBI setup.

I'm doing something similar on a clients Impala.