Subaru VVT oil control solenoids

MartinS

Hi, Subaru EZ36, couple of questions about the oil control solenoids: 

1. Do I supply the solenoids with 12v and hook up the aux outputs on the ground side and it doesn't matter which pin is negative or positive on the solenoid? I think that's correct but can't find confirmation.

2. Due to a shortage of Aux outputs, can I hook up one aux output to two oil control solenoids?  Seems one channel could control either both intake or both exhaust solenoids as I can't imagine ever wanting to activate them separately. 

Thanks in advance,

Martin

1. Correct connect a switched 12V supply to one side and the other back to the ECU aux.

Are you talking the VVT control or the cam lift? 

Cam lift could be off a single output provided each solenoid is only drawing an amp or less. If more then a amp then a relay can be used.

The VVT solenoids must use separate aux outputs. 

Sorry, already asked the first question in January and the response from Adam was that is the correct wiring.  Thought I had asked but when I searched it didn't come up for some reason.  Should have looked at my post history first.  Apologies.

Still interested in the second question though.  Is there a reason I can't use one channel to control two oil control valves?

Martin

Thanks Simon, was typing my last post when you responded.  Shame, would have solved a problem for me...

10 hours ago, Simon said:

1. Correct connect a switched 12V supply to one side and the other back to the ECU aux.

Are you talking the VVT control or the cam lift? 

Cam lift could be off a single output provided each solenoid is only drawing an amp or less. If more then a amp then a relay can be used.

The VVT solenoids must use separate aux outputs. 

Simon, thinking about this overnight and not sure I understand the difference between cam lift and VVT control.  I'm assuming the VVT solenoids are the oil pressure control devices which control the valve timing.  Not sure I know what the 'cam lift' solenoid is or whether my engine has them. 

VVT= variable cam timing, namely changing where the center of the cam lobe is.

VVL = variable valve lift = changing the global valve lift (like VTEC)

some old engines did have a on/off style VVT (like M50/M52 vanos) but most of the time they are continuous system now with requirements about PWM control.

VVL like VTEC is just a solenoid getting turned on or off.

Some engines do also have continuous valve lift control like BMW Valvetronic, but that's not in the scope of these ECUs