Best option for fuel pump controller

VegasAWD

I’m looking for the easiest install to control my walbro 525 with my vr4+ ecu. It looks like Link has a Supra controller default to pick. Any advice onthe easiest controller to buy and setup? Any link to said product? Thanks for your help.

You can pretty much use anything that is capable of the current.  Most set ups I have seen using fuel pump control use the generic open loop PWM fuel pump control mode with a generic industrial solid state relay or an OEM fuel pump control module such as the Jaguar/landrover controller but they are getting hard to find now.

I have seen some use Fan controllers such as the mitsubishi or Chrysler/Dodge ones but the problem with these is they are designed to fail with the contacts closed (so fan keeps running) which isnt ideal for a fuel pump.  

I have this on my injector test bench and it has been going for a few years: https://www.jaycar.co.nz/solid-state-relay-4-32vdc-input-30vdc-100a-switching/p/SY4086?pos=13&queryId=2f6d574c40939344b9939a1fc80dc416&sort=relevance#

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question Adam, the best way to wire this relay up is: input side"+" 12v keyed, input "-" aux out from g4+

output side to battery and the other to pump

thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I decided to go ahead and get the NOS SSR linked above. Could someone suggest a table or strategy on how to setup an open-loop control for a Walbro 525? Do you just let it idle and reduce the voltage until fuel pressure lowers and go from there? Not sure what the best strategy is to get controller setup up for full operation. Thank you.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:46 AM, Adamw said:

That appears to be the same part number SSR that Haltech rebrands. All I can find on them is "suits high frequency PWM control" but without an actual spec of what freq that can be used?

Since the Link manual says for Open Loop PWM control or Closed Loop Pressure control a solide state relay won't be able to switch fast enough and a pump speed control module is required. Does that still hold true for the above SSRs?

I don't imagine the frequency needs to be terribly high, but I assume it would take some experimenting to figure out what frequency gives the best "average voltage" output over the broadest range.  I'd start with something in the 100-200Hz range and see how it does in a bench test.  Then hook up a fuel bucket with a pump in it just returning to the same bucket and run said experiment again.

On 8/27/2023 at 4:54 AM, DerekAE86 said:

That appears to be the same part number SSR that Haltech rebrands. All I can find on them is "suits high frequency PWM control" but without an actual spec of what freq that can be used?

Since the Link manual says for Open Loop PWM control or Closed Loop Pressure control a solide state relay won't be able to switch fast enough and a pump speed control module is required. Does that still hold true for the above SSRs?

Sorry, I was referring to the NOS relay mentioned. That’s what I purchased.