AEM Series X Wideband Into Link G4X

Flex

I'm struggling to decide what's the best option is to wire a AEM Series X Wideband into the Link G4X. 

Do I go into one of the CAN ports, use the XS Plug in expansion loom or connect the Series X to the original o2 wires on the engine harness (if that can even be done)? 

All of the above is going into a MKIV Supra. 

1 hour ago, Confused said:

CANBUS is definitely the way to go. AEM wideband controllers are notorious for having pretty terrible analogue outputs, so if you can avoid that by using CANBUS, do it every time!

Perfect, thanks. When you say you can avoid using the analogue outputs, I presume that's using the AEMnet. 

Just to confirm, I'll need the CANJST plug for this? 

53 minutes ago, Adamw said:

I guessed that.  I wanted to know what specific G4X you have as the cables you will need to connect to the CAN will vary with model.  

Oh, my bad. I didn't realise there were different models. 

Does this help? 

20220716_160758.jpg

2 hours ago, Adamw said:

I guessed that.  I wanted to know what specific G4X you have as the cables you will need to connect to the CAN will vary with model.  

Does 211-4000 mean anything? 

Edit: G4XTS2JZX

6 minutes ago, Adamw said:

For a supra plug-in you will need the CANJST cable, https://dealers.linkecu.com/ADA_2.  It doesnt come with the mating female receptacle, you can buy that separately (https://dealers.linkecu.com/DTM4F), or you will probably find it locally pretty easily too.  

That's great. I did wonder about the mating female, as well. 

Thanks for the assist, Adam. I'll get them ordered. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the black and red wires that comes from the link CAN plug is a 12v supply or does it need a feed? 

I'm guessing it's a supply so you can feed whatever you're plugging in via CANBUS. 

20220731_164648.jpg

6 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Yes its the power supply for whatever CAN device you have plugged into the DTM.

Well, that saves even more wires running off my cigarette lighter lol (j/k). 

Thanks for confirming, that's a really handy feature. 

On 7/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, Confused said:

CANBUS is definitely the way to go. AEM wideband controllers are notorious for having pretty terrible analogue outputs, so if you can avoid that by using CANBUS, do it every time!

Curious I haven't seen this anywhere on subaru forums That AEM wideband 02 sensor have terrible analog outputs? And confused what u mean by analog outputs? It works on voltage output signal and send to ecu ? I've seen heaps of 600hp STI with AEM Wideband and never reported a problem ?

1 hour ago, Whiterabbitrexy said:

Curious I haven't seen this anywhere on subaru forums That AEM wideband 02 sensor have terrible analog outputs? And confused what u mean by analog outputs? It works on voltage output signal and send to ecu ? I've seen heaps of 600hp STI with AEM Wideband and never reported a problem ?

There is normally a slight discrepancy from what the aem uego gauge will show vs what is seen in the ecu.  You can fudge the 0-5v curve in the ecu to get it closer, but there will still be a slight discrepancy.

12 hours ago, Brad Burnett said:

There is normally a slight discrepancy from what the aem uego gauge will show vs what is seen in the ecu.  You can fudge the 0-5v curve in the ecu to get it closer, but there will still be a slight discrepancy.

How would u fudge the voltage scaling to know where u need to get it if you only have 1 wideband sensor? Also has anyone done a test to see the slow the original 02 ecu sensor cable plug is vurses connecting the wideband into the canbus? 

The early AEM widebands like 30-4100 and 30-4110 were especially poor accuracy on the analog outputs, and to make matters worse they didnt have a separate ground so even if you done a fudged cal to correct the poor analog accuracyit, you could see the PWM heater circuit noise in the AFR signal as well as the afr would change when for example a fan turns on and creates a larger ground offset between chassis and ecu ground.  The X-series at least have a separate analog ground which should eliminate some of these issues, but a digital communication such as CAN is always the best option.  

On 8/7/2022 at 5:08 PM, Adamw said:

The early AEM widebands like 30-4100 and 30-4110 were especially poor accuracy on the analog outputs, and to make matters worse they didnt have a separate ground so even if you done a fudged cal to correct the poor analog accuracyit, you could see the PWM heater circuit noise in the AFR signal as well as the afr would change when for example a fan turns on and creates a larger ground offset between chassis and ecu ground.  The X-series at least have a separate analog ground which should eliminate some of these issues, but a digital communication such as CAN is always the best option.  

Amazing...wow that makes perfect sense....funny because my AEM made a anoying noise in my Sony exploed head unit and only way around it was to kill the power to the AEM Wideband sensor....LOL I thought it was me and my doddgy wiering.... Thanks Adam for explain that...your a Gun been seeing u always helping people out on forum. Congratulations on helping solving alot of peoples problems...been seeing heaps of your advice helping people