2JZ-GE Trigger Issues

Graham BPT

Hey guys.  I am working on 2JZ-GE turbo setup and it has the Link G4X plug-in ECU.  Its been converted to direct fire but is still using the 24T trigger wheel coming off the distributor housing.  What I could find suggests this should work fine and to just use the base trigger settings for the base file that comes on the ECU including leaving it as 12 teeth which makes sense since the 24T is cam driven.  However, I am seeing some trigger input but the rpm is off and it drops the sync while cranking and won't fire up.

Is there anything I am missing?  Again, just trying to start it on the base map settings but have it scaled for injectors, MAP, etc and all the I/O is good.

Thanks!

trigpic.JPG

20 hours ago, Chris250 said:

have you set the multi-tooth position as cam on the trig 1 setting?

It'll need 24 teeth and set to cam

Post your trigger settings and a scope

In another post on this topic, it said to leave it as 12 teeth since its reading off the distributor - is that incorrect?  Should I set it to 24?

The map has Multi-Tooth set to Crank, not Cam so I will change that.

Thank you!

20 hours ago, 0x33 said:

Reduce the voltage threshold for trig 1 and 2 from 0.5v to 0.2v at 500rpm

I'll give this a try as well.  Thank you

Dont change anything yet, please do the triggerscope requested first, then we can tell you what to adjust based on what the ecu is not happy with in the scope data.  Although I agree with 0x33's thought that toyota distributors do often need a low cranking arming threshold, in my opinion there is no point changing random stuff blindly when you have the tools built in to actually diagnose it.  

12 teeth on crank is exactly the same as 24 on the cam by the way.  

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

Dont change anything yet, please do the triggerscope requested first, then we can tell you what to adjust based on what the ecu is not happy with in the scope data.  Although I agree with 0x33's thought that toyota distributors do often need a low cranking arming threshold, in my opinion there is no point changing random stuff blindly when you have the tools built in to actually diagnose it.  

12 teeth on crank is exactly the same as 24 on the cam by the way.  

Thank you! 

Should the Multi-Tooth Position be set to crank or cam for this engine?

So, to confirm, I should should leave the tooth count at 12 and I can lower the arming threshold a bit (if I want) and then do a trigger scope and post it here.  I'll try to interpret it myself and adjust arming voltage but outside of that, I'm not real clear on how to use the data to work out what trigger settings need to be.  I do have a timing light so we can find/sync the trigger offset once we get some usable signals.

Alright - captured a scope during cranking and could see it hitting about .24v peak only so I dropped the trigger voltage down at low rpm and it fired up.  Once running it hits a pretty good voltage. Got timing synced and it was only off 5 degrees so everything seems to be good to go other than his fuel pump that shuts off a few seconds after it starts but that's a different issue for me to work out with him lol.

Thanks everyone. 

Supra_scope.JPG