pclink closes randomly while logging

wasted talent

Hi all, 

With pclink connected, if logging to laptop the program randomly closes generally just as I start a wot pull.

Never has the issue if Im not logging, and I'm not seeing any issue in the onboard logs.

I am logging a lot of parameters at high frequency, could that be an issue?

I have tried with both my laptops running the same software as they were both set up at the same time.

I've only got the one vehicle to play with at the moment so not sure if its the car or the software.

version 3669

If it only happens at high load it would suggest ignition noise is interfering with USB comms.  Check that the monitor is not going to sleep also - this can cause PC Link to crash.  

Check spark plugs are resistor type as a start.  What engine are we talking and Ign system etc?

Ej257, internal igniter cop, bkr7e plugs

it will remain connected for hours if it's not logging. 

The screen doesn't turn off on my laptops.

After more testing today it'll do it at anything more than about 4000rpm.

It's baffling that nothing has been changed with the car to create the issue in the first place

I had a couple of ideas on this, should be pretty quick to prove/disprove:

You mentioned "logging a lot of parameters at high frequency", could you try removing most of the parameters just to see if it has an effect? My logic being, if there is a lot of interference, USB might cope better with less data being transmitted, hence pointing towards comms probs?

Is your laptop graphics driver up to date, or has it recently updated itself and maybe introduced a problem?  I know that graphics card/drivers have the potential to crash a laptop... 

It would also possibly depend on if the logging screen is being watched while logging, or what you have displayed on the screen while logging.  I will use a blank page/tab so the logging connection is faster and more stable if I'm pc logging while driving.

Tim, I turn off auto updates to avoid that problem so I can rule out graphics drivers etc., also don't have programs running in the shadows.

Scaling back the logged parameters and/or log Hz may work but would still only be a bandaid to the problem. I will try it out though.

Koracing, the screen in use only shows basic lambda, rpm and boost so not data hungry but will try with a blank screen.

• 1 month later...