Using AL to force ICV shut during driving conditions

DerekAE86

I was poking around in the help file and noticed that Anti-Lag can override the Idle Valve min/max clamps?

Was curious if you could utilize this to shut the valve fully when on-throttle. So if your min clamp was 20% but when you're at high TPS/RPM just use AL to force it down to 0%?

This might be more useful on a Turbo engine - but could the same control method be used on a NA engine without turning on any of the other AL settings? And I guess the real question is... is there any benefit to do it?

I see the benefit on a Turbo engine so you don't have essentially a massive uncontrolled vacuum leak that you have to tune your boost control solenoid around. But on a NA engine that only ever gets to BAP at WOT, does it matter where that air is being drawn from?

Could it maybe help create more vacuum for the brake booster or provide a more "balanced" air delivery for ITBs since you don't have control over what % of extra air each TB is getting from the ICV?

For 2-wire IACV, you can control idle by the low side, then control the high side with GP Output conditions of your choice so it cuts the supply to the high side (to force IACV to close while there is still a little bit of vacuum - before making positive MGP).
It may be a lot more complicated with 3-wire IACV as you would be having to command the rotary solenoid to close and hold.

So what I'm thinking is create a Virtual Aux thats:
TPS < 1%
(AND)
Driving Wheel > 25km/h
(OR)
TPS > 2%

So I capture all cruise and upward states and the overrun state.

Then use that Virtual Aux as the Anti-Lag system Arming with ISC Override on, enabling at 1500rpm and 0% TPS / 0% Hysteresis.
Obviously Ignition Retard/Cyclic, etc turned off and 0 in the Ign and Fuel trim tables.

That way it will disengage as you fall down into the idle zone, but will activate regardless of the current TPS.

Then create a 2D table refercing ECT to give 0% ICV at operating temp and open the valve a little bit when cold.

Does this make sense to do? I think it should improve the MAP signal on a NA ITB engine, not so much remove the individual cylinder pulses, but allow for a larger resolution since you're not dumping all your vacuum out the Idle valve.

3 hours ago, DerekAE86 said:

Does this make sense to do? I think it should improve the MAP signal on a NA ITB engine, not so much remove the individual cylinder pulses, but allow for a larger resolution since you're not dumping all your vacuum out the Idle valve.

It wont make any difference, the air will enter the manifold either via the throttle plate or via the idle valve, it will have the same effect on MAP regardless.