VR4+ Aux 2 for Fan Control

BoostedNerd

Hello, 

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use Aux 2 which is the EGR Solenoid to control a PMW Fan Controller. Aux 2 is a DI output so it would make sense that it could but when you select Engine Fan 1. Can you have more control over the fans than polarity high or low? I want to be able to to control the Fan speed Vs Engine temp. I do see that you have the trigger in the Fan Control but no Hrz rate to control the fans. I want to use the Mitsubishi/Mazda Fan Control Module. Any Info or Advice would be appreciated! Thank You!

You can't use the standard engine fan functionality with a PWM output, so you'll want to disable/ignore most of the Engine Fan functionality (unless you've still got A/C, and wish to have the Idle Up adjustments apply when the fans are running at full speed for the A/C)

Here's two possible examples you could use for the GP PWM Output table:

image.png.bc3ab996de7a69083a7aa8e18ce32560.png

The first is loosly based on what a Legnum VR-4 does with A/C off (I have no A/C in my Anglia), where it varies fan speed based upon temperature. I, however, have a Chargecooler, so I have the fan come on earlier - for you, I'd ditch the 31 row, and change the 30 axis value to 84 instead - and of course you can vary the fan speeds.

The Mitsubishi controller "fails safe" - if it loses the control signal it runs at 100%, so my logic here is inverted.

The second option, below, could be used if you don't want speed-based variations, but purely on ECT and whether A/C is engaged or not. 

image.png.3e783f2145819383fe9d209f8abf9db7.png

This is how I've set up the output so that it's always active and grabbing the value from the table:

image.png.a27777a97e6ea819a86680cd8181ad25.png

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I finally got around to messing with this and when I go to put my temperatures in the y axis they dont apply correctly. For example if I put 200 it puts in 203 after hitting enter. Same thing if I put 190 it puts 203 after hitting enter. Another example is 160 and 170 are both 169 after hitting enter. I tried to search to forums but could find it a solution with the terms I was using. Any help appreciated! Thank You! 

My understanding is that the ECU works & stores data in Celcius, but just does a visual conversion to/from Farenheit, which might explain some of the oddities when entering values.

For a fan speed table like this, a couple degrees Farenheit difference will make almost no difference overall.

Maybe a good opportunity to convert your thinking to Celcius, Lambda and kPa! :D 

4 hours ago, Confused said:

My understanding is that the ECU works & stores data in Celcius, but just does a visual conversion to/from Farenheit, which might explain some of the oddities when entering values.

correct, it converts your Fahrenheit value to Celsius before putting it into the ECU's table which has a limited resolution and then converts back the actual value it takes to Fahrenheit to display.

15 hours ago, Confused said:

For a fan speed table like this, a couple degrees Farenheit difference will make almost no difference overall.

Maybe a good opportunity to convert your thinking to Celcius, Lambda and kPa! :D 

I've already converted to Lambda and that made things easy. I guess ima have to convert to the other two now. :D

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

correct, it converts your Fahrenheit value to Celsius before putting it into the ECU's table which has a limited resolution and then converts back the actual value it takes to Fahrenheit to display.

So is it limited in what it displays in Fahrenheit or is it both for the ecu? 

On 2/22/2024 at 2:02 AM, BoostedNerd said:

For example if I put 200 it puts in 203 after hitting enter. Same thing if I put 190 it puts 203 after hitting enter. Another example is 160 and 170 are both 169 after hitting enter.

Yeah something is a bit funny with the multiple conversions going on I think.  It should only be out by a max of about +/-2°F difference, not 13.  If you temporarily set your units to metric when you initially set up the table axis it should give you something closer to expected.  

As an example, to acheive the axis values that exhibited the problem for you 160/170/190/200F, I set up the axis in °C to 71/77/88/94.

1SKJlg7.png  

Which gives this after setting units back to US:

blOjouI.png

• 1 month later...

I did something similar to what your initial question was. I swapped out the standard style relay for a solid state mini relay and set up DC% tables that are temperature and speed . 

I had use the GP PWM calibrations. I did it for both fans that are driven by the ecu . I did it to eliminate the current shock of the fan start ups on idle. I start with 20% DC to start up fans about 3°c before the temp I want them on. I start the 2nd on 20% when first pump hits 100%DC. I also found this method controlled temperature better then just bring fans on at desired temps..