Link 3 Bar Map Sensor Reading Wrong When At Operating Temperature

J Rolfe

Interested to see if anyone else has run into the same issue.

I have a external link 3 bar map sensor into a G4X Fury in a R32 Skyline GTST.

The sensor will read within ±5kpa of 100kpa when the engine is not running and when warming up will stay within that value. If I go for a drive and get the engine up to operating temperature then turn it off and on again the car will not start and the map sensor will read way out of value, eg 14.3kpa and will slowly go back up to 100kpa. Sensor is mounted next to brake master.

Screenshot attached is after a drive

Screenshot 2023-11-07 183337.png

Looking at your log, im leaning more towards there being a bad ground connection or similar.  

You can see in the pic below the MAP voltage and MAP pressure jump up as soon as the battery voltage drops as the starter engages.  The engine will barely have started to turn at this point so there should be no manifold pressure change.  After that the MAP voltage is mirror image of the battery voltage (ie the MAP voltage drops 0.3V when the batt voltage increases 0.3V).  The 5V output shows the MAP sensor should have a constant supply.  So, the question is, why does the MAP sensor voltage seem to be affected by battery voltage? My feeling would be a high-resistance ground or similar?   

I would try shaking/wiggling/tugging/bending the loom while watching the MAP reading on the laptop.  

iaQE8mA.png

We suspected a grounding issue with it so instead of it grounding from the ecu originally it is now grounded directly to the chassis. Ill move the ground to the engine block to see if that makes a difference and will check the connections are secure in the connector

Sensor is still reading weird values after driving vehicle. Jiggled around the connectors at the sensor side and the ecu side to no change. Grounded the sensor directly to the battery but did not change anything. Gently blew out the sensor port but also did not change anything as well as looked into the port and didnt see anything. Checked there is 5v at the sensor connecter and there is. No blockage into the intake manifold.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 170434.png

8 hours ago, J Rolfe said:

We suspected a grounding issue with it so instead of it grounding from the ecu originally it is now grounded directly to the chassis. Ill move the ground to the engine block to see if that makes a difference and will check the connections are secure in the connector

You should always ground the MAP sensor to the ECU “sensor ground”, right? So the sensor has a stable 0V and 5V reference, directly in the ECU. 

I would double check all your ecu grounding as if there is a ground offset of some type - you're going to get variations in the sensor readings.  Sensor may have good ground, but ecu is seeing it differently.  Any main chassis ground should be removed, cleaned (paint or coatings removed at point of contact to chassis and engine).