Focus RS 5cyl with G4

Ferenc

Hi

We haven't done one of these engines yet. The Hardware can drive it but we will require triggering information off the engine. This will allow us to write firmware for the trigger decoding allowing the use of factory triggers. The info we need are sensor types for each pickup and the number and location of the teeth through a full engine cycle.  I have attached a PDF sample of what we are after.

• 3 weeks later...

I've measured the trigger system with a scope. I uploaded a 720 degrees cycle. There is a 60-2 VR trigger on the crank. And two HALL sensor on the cams. You can see the trigger patterns on the uploaded picture. The intake and exhaust trigger sign is exactly the same on inactive postion(the intake cam is full retarded and the exhaust cam is full advanced when the electric valves are inactive). You can see this situation on the picture. Because of this, you will see only 1 sign for both of the cam signals.I hope you can do the firmware job with this information.

Still need  to TDC the engine to #1 compression and find 1) The position of the  tooth after the Gap on 60-2.  2) The position of the Falling and Rising edges on the Cam. Then we can do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon, 7/16/09 I send you a mail with an attempt providing the info you need. Never received a reply. It appeared to me Link doesn't care. The sensors are reluctor type and need low lever trigger arming threshold. The information was pulled from an older type 2001 'RN' Volvo engine but the sensor data didn't change. The RS engine is identical to the Volvo 'RNC' low pressure turbo engine's as used in the C30/S40/V50/C70 'T5' and the new 2008+ V70 '2.5T'. This is the same engine as used the the Focus 'ST225' or 'XR5' in New Zealand. Functionality is also the same as the 'RN' engines used in the Volvo 2004+ S60R and V70R and the S60 AWD 2.5T with the dual VVT setup. I have used the Linkplus G3 on a Volvo 5 cylinder turbo engine although without VVT and COP. Ran like a charm so G4 should be more than capable. That is if Link keeps up with these things. Other option could be to provide the Toyota Sensor and trigger data so the trigger wheels on the Volvo engine can be changed.

As they say good things take time. No problem at all to supply the Toyota info. I didn't clear all my emails on Friday so apologies for that. Hence doing forums on a Sunday!

Assuming your email came through I should have it read before Monday is over. And with luck we can get engineering to get the new trigger pattern in to the new firmware.

Once we get the triggering sorted the G4 will be more than up to the task.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Good afternoon Johann,

Looking at the info you emailed through to Simon and comparing it to our existing modes the following should work for you.

Trigger mode: Holden V6 Alloytec II VVTi

Cam control Mode (VVT section): Holden V6 VVTi

These modes have been used successfully on a variety on engines. 

You will still need to do the cam angle test to calculate your offsets. I would be interested in knwoing for certain if this work for you.

Cheers,

Scott.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sorry i never received a notification for this,

Year of the volvo is 2010 and engine code is B5254T3 and yes all running VVC :).

Will receive notifications now!

Regards

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris,

Any chance you would share pinout and config file with me?

Best Regards

Stephen

On 6/4/2020 at 11:33 AM, CJL said:

sorry i never received a notification for this,

Year of the volvo is 2010 and engine code is B5254T3 and yes all running VVC :).

Will receive notifications now!

Regards

Chris

Hi Stephen,

Sure not a problem, are you after pin out from fuse box side or just the link Pin out config?

Do you whatsapp? May make it easier to answer any questions and can grab an email to send you the config file

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Just the link pinout config would be helpful and if you have a copy of the Map handy it would save me configuring trigger settings  and I can get it to my tuner to take it back to a safe start up map so that I can have it running before I bring it down to him for mapping.

Yep, just sent you a PM with the details!

Best Regards

Stephen

Currently running: 

340lph fuel pump

Airtech intercooler

Airtech intake manifold

CAI

3" turbo back exhaust no cat

No MAF

Helix 6 panel clutch and flywheel.

Please be aware that current config is only around 240hp due to original clutch breaking and as car has been sat a while and had a lot changed we were running in before finalising the map and turning it up. Gear box just went on me so just got a new one I order to finish mapping

What are you running and what volvo?

• 1 year later...