AFR log

fakethinkpad

Im having some weird fluctuations on my afr value as well, last mapping session above 5k the sensor just decides to cut out (showed fine one moment and the next AFR was 18.1 (max) above 5k rpm, and that sensor was brand new. so the tuner plugged in his external sensor to continue his work and disabled closed loop lambda until i got it replaced. now with a new AEM Uego X-series controller plugged in and adjusting for new injectors im replacing at the same time i still think the AFR is misbehaving.

I use the Volt 2 input and have checked everything again and again but dont see anything that could be wrong with the wiring or sensor itself, my values on startup at idle, clearly i dont beleave i could have gotten 2 bad sensors so something else must be at issue.

afr.png

Hi fakethinkpad,

Thanks for the base-map. I've looked through your base-map and did not notice any problems with the calibration. Where do you have the analog - of the device wired to?

One way to know whether the problem lies in the ECU, or the input to the ECU is to monitor the voltage on ANV2 and compare it to the AFR reading. I see that you have a couple of spare AN Volt channels, you could wire one of these up to AN V2 and then set the channel to 'Voltage 0-5V'. You would then be able to compare Wideband 1 with the voltage on the other AN Volt channel.

Scott

do you mean i should just split/add another sire coming from the wideband + to a Volt input and still keeping it wired to my current ANV2?

Yes that is what I mean. But first I would re-do the 'analog -' from the AEM unit, this should be connected to 'Ground Out' on the ECU. The way it is currently wired there could be a ground offset between the ECU and AEM device. Here is the manual from AEM:

http://aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-0310 X-Series Inline Wideband UEGO Sensor Controller.pdf

Page 2 has the details. Looking at your base-map I suspect you have our GTS-GTR plug-in ECU. If this is true then you can find 'Ground out' on pins 26, 30, 34, 50 or 60. Here is an image of the connector and its numbering, this view is looking into the ECU.

GTR_-_Looking_into_ECU.thumb.PNG.aca8dad

Scott

Yes that is what I mean. But first I would re-do the 'analog -' from the AEM unit, this should be connected to 'Ground Out' on the ECU. The way it is currently wired there could be a ground offset between the ECU and AEM device. Here is the manual from AEM:

http://aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-0310 X-Series Inline Wideband UEGO Sensor Controller.pdf

Page 2 has the details. Looking at your base-map I suspect you have our GTS-GTR plug-in ECU. If this is true then you can find 'Ground out' on pins 26, 30, 34, 50 or 60. Here is an image of the connector and its numbering, this view is looking into the ECU.

GTR_-_Looking_into_ECU.thumb.PNG.aca8dad

Scott

Thanks Scott, could i use the ground pin on the XS loom? prefer keeping it clean and simple and not to mess around with the connector of possible.

Christian

Right so i did some re-wiring and put the wideband on the ECU ground but still i get some weird things going on and what surpriced me the most was as soon as i nudged the throttle it seem to start giving me a better reading but dont know if i trust it enough to be honest,.you can see where i only gave it a few mm of throttle (2-3%) it sorts itself which makes be think that it does have something to do with the ecu after all..

Edit: I also let the wideband startup sequence finish (heat and check) on ignition before starting the engine.

afr2.png

Edited by fakethinkpad

I know you posted a map yesterday but can you post your most recent map and a pc log.  The screenshot is worthless without more data.  Also, is your probe in a standard "downpipe" type location and do you have a full exhaust fitted and leak free?

I know you posted a map yesterday but can you post your most recent map and a pc log.  The screenshot is worthless without more data.  Also, is your probe in a standard "downpipe" type location and do you have a full exhaust fitted and leak free?

Hi Adam,

Yes the sensor is mounted on the standard downpipe location, i checked the exhaust for leaks before changing the sensor when i had it on a lift and it looked fine. i have attached the map and two logs, feel free to make any adjustments you feel are safe and if you need me to check or do anything specific during logging just shout.

Could it be as simple as the sensor being cold at the start? still think it would show more static signal and not fluctuate between 7 and 18 as it does at the beginning but i´m really not one to tell. can understand some basic settings but tables i dont dare changing, just need something i can trust and will get me to a proper mapping session safely.

Christian

Log_2016-08-12.llg

Log 11-08-16 4;53;55 pm.llg

2016-08-11_1.0.pcl

Christian, Sorry I didn't have access to the old G4 software yesterday.  I just took a look at your data and map now.  So ignore the odd wideband behaviour for the first 25 seconds or so, this is just the probe warming up and stabilising.  The afr does follow duty cycle well so it appears your wiring is correct and the probe is working.  It is reading quite lean at idle and probably not believable so that could be something like a slight misfire or air leak or perhaps it is just not idling well and has poor combustion.  It appears to improve above idle speed and give believable numbers. 

Christian, Sorry I didn't have access to the old G4 software yesterday.  I just took a look at your data and map now.  So ignore the odd wideband behaviour for the first 25 seconds or so, this is just the probe warming up and stabilising.  The afr does follow duty cycle well so it appears your wiring is correct and the probe is working.  It is reading quite lean at idle and probably not believable so that could be something like a slight misfire or air leak or perhaps it is just not idling well and has poor combustion.  It appears to improve above idle speed and give believable numbers. 

Thank Adam i appreciate the feedback and kind of suspected that after going through all my logs to be honest. so i went ahead and adjusted the injector deadtimes and adjusted the fueltable and its running much better now, just wasent sure i could trust the afr reading i was getting so its good to have someone confirm that its working as expected.