Jump to content

Custom trigger setup


Miguel Silva
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'd like to know if it's possible to configure an hybrid CAM/CRANK trigger or if it as to be "hard coded" like the "NISSAN 360 Opto" option?

I'd like to use the reset based on NISSAN 360 Opto (0º, 180º, 360º, 540º), that I already have installed on the CAM, and a 60 teeth wheel placed on the crank (one tooth is equivalent to 6º crank revolution).

To my understanding and I might be wrong, the NISSAN cam trigger has 2 portions the resets with 4 slots one big that corresponds to 30º or 15 slots, the next corresponds to 22º or 11 slots, next 12º or 6 slots, and finally the smallest corresponds to 6º or 3 slots, and with this setup NISSAN doesn't need more than 1/4!? of a revolution to know where it is exactly (knowing that for each of the reset positions pulses it sees 15, 11, 6 or 3 pulses corresponding to the 0º, 180º, 360º, 540º angle position). The second portion are 360 slots corresponding to 2º, the part that is troublesome because of belt slop and or some other CAM related harmonics and it start to have erratic readings on higher RPMs even applying the highest filter possible.

The change I need is to have the reset slots pulses correspond to different angle pulses (0º correspond to 5 pulses), (180º correspond to 3 pulses), (360º correspond to 2 pulses), (540º correspond to 1 pulse) of the crank wheel.

I don't know how well explained this is, but hopefully someone understands where I'm getting with this.

Setup:

LINK G4+ THUNTHER on a NISSAN 300ZX

Thanks for the help.

59f7598ca2050_NISSANZ32300ZXCASWheelAngles.thumb.jpg.abf3f6594fdd944e61df438255b4397e.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To do what you are looking for would require a custom trigger mode to be hard coded. Which currently we are not in a position to be able to offer the engineering time to implement and are also reluctant to do for non factory trigger modes.

I think the best option would be to use the 60 tooth crank wheel and replace the CAS disk with a single cut out replacing the 6.

 

Regards

Simon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Simon said:

To do what you are looking for would require a custom trigger mode to be hard coded. Which currently we are not in a position to be able to offer the engineering time to implement and are also reluctant to do for non factory trigger modes.

I think the best option would be to use the 60 tooth crank wheel and replace the CAS disk with a single cut out replacing the 6.

 

Regards

Simon

For the CAS disk there are 2 option 50% open 50% closed and one with a small slot, are they both a real option or just the the small slot will be possible to manually configure?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can use both

But if you have found one with 50/50 that is somewhat preferable as it will aid in faster startups as the ecu knows where the engine is in its rotation faster. You would choose the "cam LEVEL" option in the ecu for this. A single thooth would be the "1×" option...

If you found a level wheel can you link me to it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MagicMike said:

The Z32 disk has 360 + 6. I'm a bit confused by what you are trying to achieve with this? If you have a crank sensor already why do the 360 slots cause you trouble?

The problems that I have and some others also have are the RPM reading go a bit crazy, as an example on a ramp-run the RPMs should always climb (5400, 5450, 5500...) and on logs I see (5400, 5370, 5370, 5500...) and with the timing light there is always some drift +-2 or 3º from meed to higher RPMs. Applying max filter makes it a little bit better.

Has I've posted before it's a belt slop and or some other CAM related harmonics, I'll look for a better explanation from possibly a reliable source and post it here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MagicMike said:

The Z32 disk has 360 + 6. I'm a bit confused by what you are trying to achieve with this? If you have a crank sensor already why do the 360 slots cause you trouble?

(reliable)

A good explanation of a NISSAN RB CAS problem that might apply to the Z32 CAS:

https://youtu.be/_sEDuNGnRKA?t=4s

 

(not reliable but the same explanation and conclusion)

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/266505-crank-trigger-upgrade-yes-no.html

Post:

27th May 2014, 10:29 PM
Asim R32GTR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Miguel Silva said:

The problems that I have and some others also have are the RPM reading go a bit crazy, as an example on a ramp-run the RPMs should always climb (5400, 5450, 5500...) and on logs I see (5400, 5370, 5370, 5500...) and with the timing light there is always some drift +-2 or 3º from meed to higher RPMs. Applying max filter makes it a little bit better.

Has I've posted before it's a belt slop and or some other CAM related harmonics, I'll look for a better explanation from possibly a reliable source and post it here.

Yes I have experienced the issues myself (z32), and I now run a crank trigger and single cam sync.

Im confused as you say you have a crank trigger hut are still concerned with the stock cas disk. Sort out some cam sync solution like Brad says with aem disc or something and never look back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MagicMike said:

How are you going to balance it? 50/50 worries me

I wouldn't so much worry about balance on the trigger disc.  The weight of those things is nothing.

To me it just seems like a waste of time to have one custom made when there are companies out there making the 24-1 and 12-1 disc already.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...