ECU Log not recorded

tbase

Not sure what happended but ECU log didn't record anything. On Sat race log didn't recorded race session only recorded after engine restart again when back to pit. So I cleared log and check again after Sunday and there is nothing there.

System was hook with AIM hub that have AIM MXS Dash, Solo2 DL and Smarty cam HD. We download Data log from Solo2 HD first and there are no log records from ECU on Solo as well. It looks like its inactive mode. 

Anything I can check or its the software's bug.

Screenshot (74).png

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen this many times on my G4+.  I have identified that the ECU always records data properly, but on occasion, it will get erased.  I believe it's when starting the engine, perhaps a dip in voltage or a voltage spike?  This gives the impresson that the ECU hasn't recoded any data.

To expose this, I display 'log memory use' on my custom dash.  Normally, the memory is 100% full (recycling), but when it gets erased, it's 0% full.

I'm not sure if the ECU needs a permanent 12 V supply to keep the datalog or whether it's stored in non-volatile memory?  I expect Adam will know?

Its stored in flash memory so doesnt need battery backup.  We've definitely had this reported quite a bit but havent been able to reproduce it in-house to be able to diagnose it.  Do both you guys have conditions set to start logging or is it just on all the time?  When you download logs do you "delete all" or just leave the old logs in there? 

Thanks Adam, currently, my ECU logging conditions are:
IO ON = Not Used
RPM Above = 2500
MAP Above = 30
TPS Above = 0
Off Delay = 25

Re "When you download logs do you "delete all" or just leave the old logs in there?"  I wasn't  aware you could delete old logs (apart from changing what gets logged to force it to start a new  ECU log)? 

I'm interested in which FLASH chip is used in the G4+, if you're happy to divulge?

here is the config from the  black storm unit:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/127vzQQw_PvUa3Bsy-AS04EdyNM1rzybk/view?usp=sharing

I do delete logs everytime after I download them. normally the road driving makes that the data quantity is not that much (I use it to see open loop values during full load), but last sunday on the track, the WOT period is way longer. I did check the ecu log at lunch time but did not save it (and not deleting it either) thinking I'll pull all the data from the day at the end, butI couldn't like I said, because almost no data was there.

I wondered if an erroneous Chip Erase command could have been the cause, but the datasheet quotes 45 s typ so I guess that rules that out.  Is it possible that the datalog is actually intact (when it appears erased), but it’s being reported as erased by what ever method is used to monitor the data being written to Flash?  A counter for example? 

As I mentioned before, my dash highlights when the datalog is empty, so I know straight away when this happens, it’s always on power up.

However, I guess it could be on power-down as the dash switches off and I wouldn’t know until the next power-up!

It’s never happened during normal engine running though, that’s for sure.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:38 PM, Tim D said:

As I mentioned before, my dash highlights when the datalog is empty, so I know straight away when this happens, it’s always on power up.

One thought on this is is the dash just showing 0% on power up because it hasn't received a CAN message from the ECU yet?

Good point.... However, to elaborate on my setup, I configured the dash to flash some lights at me if the 'log memory use' is less than 5% (streamed from ECU).

So, under normal conditions, the memory is 100% full and recycling, until such time that I modify what's being logged or the log gets erased.

This means I get notified when the log has been erased, even if I'm not trying to download it. The dash flashes until the log reaches 5% full, giving me several minutes to observe the event. 

I think that all makes sense!