FBW throttle body over temp

ALPerf

Have you got a copy of your tune, plus a log that shows what's happening when this occurs?

For example, what are your targets? Are you trying to drive it to 100% open? Many throttle bodies don't like that, and are happier if only commanding something like 98-99%.

I'm Interested in this... In another thread someone was getting AUX 2 errors on their Subaru DBW Throttle body, I get AUX 3 errors (Subaru DBW) occasionally and I also get the Overheat. All very randomly.

Nothing shows up in logs however..

I think Its actually the DBW unit that's the issue in my case.. But What is the ECU actually "looking at" when it triggers the overheat alert?

25 minutes ago, kaptainballistik said:

In another thread someone was getting AUX 2 errors on their Subaru DBW Throttle body, I get AUX 3 errors (Subaru DBW)

Only aux 9 & 10 drives the throttle motor.  Aux 2 & 3 are nothing to do with e-throttle.  

27 minutes ago, kaptainballistik said:

I think Its actually the DBW unit that's the issue in my case.. But What is the ECU actually "looking at" when it triggers the overheat alert?

It is the temperature of the throttle motor driver chip.  Typically this would only happen if you are pushing the throttle against the mechanical stop for an extended period with high motor DC.  A manual calibration of the TPS sensors so that 100% isnt hard against the mechanical stop would prevent this or change the max value in your target table to something like 98%.

code 84 Aux9/10 E-Throttle IC Over Temperature / Under Voltage isn't just over temperature, it can also be triggered by undervoltage. I occasionally see it when I have to crank for too long and pump the throttle which would most likely be an under voltage condition.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:40 AM, Vaughan said:

code 84 Aux9/10 E-Throttle IC Over Temperature / Under Voltage isn't just over temperature, it can also be triggered by undervoltage. I occasionally see it when I have to crank for too long and pump the throttle which would most likely be an under voltage condition.

Is there a way to temporarily get the ECU to Clear the Error by "restarting" the ECU (short of putting the Throttle into setup mode) Until I chase the issue further? I have a pile of DBW parts to throw at the car as necessary....

The car seems to be throwing the error codes when its been sitting and has a lower battery charge.. and does it on start up! I will throw some voltage logging at it to see if I can "catch" what's going on. Any particular things advised to log besides 12V Voltage to anything throttle related and the main Power (and turn logging Hz up to max...). 

Issue is... you need the laptop to clear the error before you can get the throttle working. And do you think the car does it when cars laptop is charged?

NOOOOOO.

I'll get a screen shot tonight due to aformentioned having no laptop.....

2 hours ago, kaptainballistik said:

Is there a way to temporarily get the ECU to Clear the Error by "restarting" the ECU (short of putting the Throttle into setup mode) Until I chase the issue further? I have a pile of DBW parts to throw at the car as necessary....

You could do the WOT hold at power up, or set up something like your AC switch to clear faults.  From memory with E-throttle faults you have to power cycle ign after clearing the fault.  

image.png.9122a0e24c160b6b776245875df6694f.png

2 hours ago, kaptainballistik said:

Any particular things advised to log besides 12V Voltage to anything throttle related and the main Power (and turn logging Hz up to max...). 

Load in the attached logging set.

E-throttle diag.llsx

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, This may have done the self resolve trick...

My DBW pedal started acting up (you could "see" it jumping in calibration mode on the Main potentiometer). As the car has a pedal box I think it was getting a very slight twist into the Pedal linkages. I've changed from a U shaped linkage to a rod ends as well So Ill see how this goes...

Mind you, I swapped over to rod ends early last year, So if that's the cause its a long time coming!

I'm going testing this weekend so I will get some decent logs!

Ok, Testing was... testing!

When you get the occasional ECU Fault Code 77: APS(main) /APS(sub) tracking Error.. Any particular bit of wiring  to start checking?

I've got a log of the car running, but I would like to have a crack at trying to figure it out myself first! What seemed to happen is at full throttle the car would basically fall on its face fairly randomly. Wouldn't throw an error (Except the fault 77 was there once i plugged the laptop into the running car.)

at under 75% it seemed to behave itself..