Sensor Question.

k4nnon

Hey all quick sensor regarding sensors. I want to tie in oil pressure to my link g4x. I have a cheap ProSport oil pressure gauge that has always worked fine. The sensing sensor is a 2 pin sensor. Is there a way to tie one of these style sensors into the link or do I need to purchase a 3 pin style sensor such as an aem? If what I have will work great! Just trying to figure it out before I spend money if it isn’t needed. Always appreciate any input or help! 

Well.. put a multimeter on the sensor and see what voltage you get.

Based on that you can create a CAL table and scale it.. 

"should be" linear.. 

I am feeding my Defi gauges into my Link.. 

Read somewhere that the gauges and ecu have to be grounded together in the same place for reliable readout...  ( and thats how I run it) 

9 minutes ago, remski2 said:

Well.. put a multimeter on the sensor and see what voltage you get.

Based on that you can create a CAL table and scale it.. 

"should be" linear.. 

I am feeding my Defi gauges into my Link.. 

Read somewhere that the gauges and ecu have to be grounded together in the same place for reliable readout...  ( and thats how I run it) 

Hey thanks. I may give that a try. I may just buy a sensor so I know the cal tables are correct and it won’t tie into the gauge circuit. Thanks again! 

The old school VDO style 2 wire pressure sensors are pretty horible things.  The calibration changes with temperature etc.  You could tap into the signal wire but you would have to determine the calibration yourself.  Personally I would look at a reputable 3 wire sensor with known calibration (not a no brand alliexpress one...).   

On 7/17/2022 at 2:33 PM, Adamw said:

The old school VDO style 2 wire pressure sensors are pretty horible things.  The calibration changes with temperature etc.  You could tap into the signal wire but you would have to determine the calibration yourself.  Personally I would look at a reputable 3 wire sensor with known calibration (not a no brand alliexpress one...).   

Hey thanks and makes complete sense. Ill be purchasing another sending unit. with that said, is there a way to tie a 3 pin style sensor into my gauge so that i only need the one sensor? My goal would be to have the gauge work properly as well as sending the proper data into my link but i would like to do this with one sensor if possible,, less clutter and weight. The prosport gauge sends power to the sending unit and the unit is grounded, so resistance based.. I think the 3 pin sensors work differently and im not sure if i would be able to input to my gauge?? I may be at a loss and just need to run both sensors..

Once you've got a reliable sensor sending data into the ECU, and all the right protection strategies set up, you don't need a gauge, as the ECU will be monitoring and reacting to it much better than you could ever react to a gauge - especially if you're pressing on and concentrating on the road.

3 hours ago, Confused said:

Once you've got a reliable sensor sending data into the ECU, and all the right protection strategies set up, you don't need a gauge, as the ECU will be monitoring and reacting to it much better than you could ever react to a gauge - especially if you're pressing on and concentrating on the road.

Hey thanks for the input, I understand this and i never rely on watching gauges vs data, But id rather have a working gauge, then a not working gauge in its place. And id rather not remove the gauge or assembly as is because i already have them and i enjoy having them. As i drive my vehicle often im not always hooked to a laptop and logging info so a quick peak at the gauges every now and again is very useful in my situation.. Thanks for the input though, always appreciate what others have to say!

Hey guys thanks for all of the input! I have ordered an AEM pressure sensor that i will individually tie into the link. I was already thinking that two sending units were going to be needed so im gonna make it work! I appreciate all the help!