Controlling external DC motor using E-throttle pins

Link2ThePast

Hi all,

I am currently planning to control my ae111 throttles with a brushed, geared DC Motor. I plan to use the M+/M- terminals used on my current e-throttle setup to drive it and use the TPS currently present on the throttles. Is this possible?

I was originally going to use either BMW actuator or custom GM one that efi hardware offers but because of space constraints, I am looking to use bare hardware for this. 

From some research I have done, I think it'll work but I just wanted to get some extra reassurance from others. 

Yep, thats all a E-throttle is.  Keep max current in mind, I think 4.4A continuous and short peaks to about 7A is what the driver is rated for.  And you want a dual track TPS.

It is pretty common in touring cars etc to use a maxon motor and planetary gearbox.  Pics below of the last one I set up.  This one was geared too low so was slower than I would have ideally liked.  It looks like it says 23:1 on the gearbox but they didnt list that ratio, so im pretty sure it actually is 231:1.  The customer was happy with the response so I didnt test or research any further.  Beautifully made swiss gear boxes though.

63WaO7f.png

xA7XPYP.png

pqzMg0F.png

When I was first looking into this, it looked like the stock blacktop TPS was dual tracking, but I wouldn't be surprised if I misunderstood the diagram below and made an incorrect assumption.

https://imgur.com/a/2XTeuIf

Wow that thing looks wicked! Thanks for the input Adam!

I tried to use the one you posted as an example and noticed the 437994 is a configuration number. The motor in that config. is rated for a nominal voltage of 42 Volts. Was this chosen purposefully to lower the stall current?

I did find the 23:1 ratio listed, so could the 12v being too low for that specific motor perhaps be why it was not operating as fast?

This is proving to be a lot more involved than I thought! 

If you look closely, you'll see the top-most track has a break in it (at about 1 o'clock), and the right-most side is connected right around the outside to VC - this is for, in this instance, an Idle Switch (some use this principle for a Wide Open Throttle switch), as opposed to a dual tracking one. Dual tracking often have 6 pins, doubling up on 5v and ground inputs.

For tps you will want a 3uz from a tundra or sequoia.  They are a direct replacement for the ae111 black top tps. And available at most parts stores.

Ive played maxon motor games and have a couple in a drawer.  You can also stack the planetary gear sets for better drive ratios if necessary.  But in the application where I was aiming to use a maxon motor, i just ended up with a billet ATPower unit.

For my Black top throttles on my beams motor, i just used the e46 bmw M3 actuator, works fantastic.

Appreciate the input gentlemen! Looks like I'm taking a trip to the junkyard in the future. 

Brad, that atpower unit looks similar to the one that efihardware has. That E46 was the exact one I was looking to use, did you modify the throttles by removing the return springs at all?

Ideally I'd like to find a good maxon combination as the manifold I designed sits pretty close to the engine and, since it's going in the mk3 mr2, space is tight even with a firewall cut.