4AGE 16V, cranking but not starting

fast4motion

ITBs without a means to adjust for idle air are a pain. And as koracing said, I'd highly suggest having a wideband o2 sensor fitted. probably even a knock sensor.
And yes, get someone who knows what they are doing to at least give it a road tune. I wouldn't be just trying to drive it as-is.
Especially if the owner has no fundamental understanding of aftermarket management.

They either need to find a tuner they can trust or be willing to learn and do it themself. 
"The base tune should be fine, I'm sure it will work" is not a good attitude to have.
Especially when making modifications to the engine that the base tune wasn't made for lol.

Quite possible 0rpm tacho max does turn off the limit. I've not tried it myself.

Unfortunately some people only want to spend money on brand names and visible bling, and not the essential hidden items (like a professional tune, or wiring upgrades on a 45yr old car). And it's usually those same people who ignore knowledgeable advice in favour of anything which will cost less.

There's an aftermarket vacuum manifold connected to the ITBs which feeds the FPR and MAP sensor, and a spare Link aux o/p wire already in the engine bay, so I could suggest he plumbs in a 2-wire IACV if it's a worthwhile investment? If I knew who'll be performing the tune I'd ask their preference and they could help convince him.

There needs to be cause and effect.  If you're the wiring/install guy and he's saying he wants you to get it up and running then you're in charge of what that requires.  If it requires changes be made or it won't work right, and the customer doesn't want to do those things to make it work right, that's a stop all work and not have your name attached to it type of thing in my book.   Yes someone with some experience tuning needs to get involved - it can be locally or remote - but the customer will likely need to be prepared to pay for this to happen.  The owner can sign up for HP Academy or similar online training if he is so inclined, but none of the options to get the car dialed in are going to be free. 

Do the throttles actually look closed when in the idle position?  It is pretty normal to have very little idle vacuum with ITB's, it should be better than it is, but I would say it is more likely just an adjustment and/or sync issue, it would have to be a pretty massive leak to reach 3000RPM with the throttle closed.  

8 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Do the throttles actually look closed when in the idle position?  It is pretty normal to have very little idle vacuum with ITB's, it should be better than it is, but I would say it is more likely just an adjustment and/or sync issue, it would have to be a pretty massive leak to reach 3000RPM with the throttle closed.  

He's taken it back thankfully. He did find an open port under the manifold which made a slight improvement when capped, but the revs still climbed. He then found some damage to the intake gasket which looked like it might leak, but I haven't heard anything since.

Would you recommend installing an IACV?

9 hours ago, koracing said:

There needs to be cause and effect.  If you're the wiring/install guy and he's saying he wants you to get it up and running then you're in charge of what that requires.  If it requires changes be made or it won't work right, and the customer doesn't want to do those things to make it work right, that's a stop all work and not have your name attached to it type of thing in my book.   Yes someone with some experience tuning needs to get involved - it can be locally or remote - but the customer will likely need to be prepared to pay for this to happen.  The owner can sign up for HP Academy or similar online training if he is so inclined, but none of the options to get the car dialed in are going to be free. 

I'm just the wiring guy (at cost for a mate), and had nothing to do with the install, so my job was completed over a week ago. After that I was just a mate trying to help configure the ECU for start-up while it was in my garage, as he wouldn't know where to start, or be able to do it if shown - it's just not his thing. And while I don't have much experience (and none in mapping), I can configure inputs and outputs and follow instructions given on here, so was hoping to get it running on the base map and resolve any possible issues in preparation for professional tuning (which he's agreed it'll need).