Link AtomX Knock Input setup

Matt_J

Hi Im looking at setting up a Bosch/link donut style knock sensor with an AtomX G4X. Can this be wired to the knock and sensor ground pins or will it require a knock block or other device to calibrate and send the correct info to the ecu?

cheers!

Prior to Atom version 3: The Atom doesn't have any knock control internal to it so you would need to run an external knock controller that can provide a 0-5V analog signal.  

If you have a newer version AtomX it has knock input on pin 6.

[Edited to add corrected information about V3 pin 6]

I think the Link knock block is a headphone output device, and does not output to the ecu.  There's some other solutions out there, but I've never used or sold an ecu without internal knock control (as I view it as an essential requirement myself).  

One example I found of an external controller that ouputs a 0-5v signal:
https://phormula.com/product/phormula-ks-4-knock-monitor/

And there is no "knock pin" on the Atom, and only 3 analog inputs so this would tie up one of those - you wouldn't be able to have all the following:
1. ECT, 2. IAT, 3. MAP, and 4. Knock Input - pick 3.

That said, you could use the link knock block for tuning with the headphones and not use the ecu for knock control, and then you wouldn't need to give up an analog input.

If your ECU is older than V3, I’ve a brand new Knock Shield V1 for Arduino laying on a shelf.. I bought it to use with a Motec M600 but I finally used a G4X.

They released a V2 a few months ago. I don’t know what they changed but if you need it you can have it for the shipping costs.. (I’m in France so it may not be interesting depending where you are)

http://www.bylund-automotive.com/educative/knock/

On 4/10/2023 at 3:50 PM, essb00 said:

Check the revision number of your AtomX... if it is Version 3 or newer, it should have the internal knock control module connected to pin 6 - so you can wire the Bosch donut knock sensor directly.

image.thumb.jpeg.c9609fa5b6c7d74c2e90da5e4646b159.jpeg

Yes thats what I thought the case was, looks like its version 3.1 so should be good to connect directly across pin6 and sensor ground? Would there be any info around on calibration or setup of the sensor? I have enabled knock control in ecu settings and setup based on what I can find online but cant seem to get any feedback from the sensor or normal engine noise on a log, may not have individual cyl setup correct. Any info on this would be much appreciated. Cheerd