aem x-series and can bus

Adamchong

Yes, I end up connecting the wideband to can  2 with the 120 ohm resistor but for some odd reason I couldn’t find the wideband in the can devices but it does work. The oil pressure guage I end up connecting this to an volt 6 but like the previous analog wideband started giving me error with low voltage. Do you recommend doing the oil pressure sensor thru the can as well or just fix the issue with the low voltage error on an volt 6 input? 

"Find Devices" only works for Link CAN devices, not other aftermarket CAN devices.  If your oil pressure is an X-Series AEM gauge you can connect it via CAN as well.  Usually a voltage low error is due to calibration settings on that analog input.

2 hours ago, koracing said:

"Find Devices" only works for Link CAN devices, not other aftermarket CAN devices.  If your oil pressure is an X-Series AEM gauge you can connect it via CAN as well.  Usually a voltage low error is due to calibration settings on that analog input.

Yes it is the X series oil gauge, I did tried the voltage settings if that fixes the error problem I will just leave it alone. Those were the settings I used for the wideband. 

IMG_3391.heic IMG_3392.heic

4 hours ago, koracing said:

If I decide to connect the oil pressure gauge to the CAN do I have to use another 120 ohm resistor for this gauge? How it would look the diagram for this setup? Also what would be the rate and the id I will be using for the oil pressure sensor? Sorry for all this questions, but this is new to me. Also Im using this evo 8 g4+ plug in on my 2g dsm gsx and I would like to also know if the knock sensor Im using is the right one or should I go with the Link Knock Sensor doughnut style? Thanks for the knowledge. 

What is the part number of your AEM X-series oil pressure gauge?  The bus only needs one 120ohm resistor at the end of the two wire bus.  Along the way you can connect many devices.  See the Help menu in the software --> Wiring Information --> Communication Wiring --> CAN Bus Wiring. 

The settings I have for an AEM X-series oil pressure gauge (I believe there are a couple versions) for one customer is:

CAN Configuration:
Mode: User Defined
Bit Rate: 500kbps
OBD: OFF

Data:
Channel: Receive User Stream 2
Mode: Receive User Stream 2
CAN ID: 656129
Format: Extended

Stream 2:
Add Frame -> Frame 1: 
Frame size: 8
ID Position: None
ID (decimal): n/a
Parameter: CAN An1 - Oil Pressure
Start Position: 0
Width: 16
Byte Order: MS First
Type: Unsigned
Multiplier: 1
Divider: 1
Offset: 0

Analog Input: 
Oil Pressure:
Source: CAN An1
Error: 0.0kpa
Calibration: None

not to hijack this thread, but probably better than starting a new one... I'm trying to get my CAN Gauge to work... I've got two AEM Wideband sensors working fine, but the gauge does not. I tried to follow the settings that were in the manual, which did not work.

the O2 sensors are using Channels 1 and 2, with the bit rate set at 500 kbit/s. If I change it to 1mb like the instructions say, the O2 sensors no longer work. I only tried using Channel 3 for the gauge, does it matter which channel the gauge uses? I haven't tried doing the Extended settings yet in the manual, does all that need to be done for the gauge to show data?

gauge config.JPG

can settings.JPG

extended settings.JPG

On 4/21/2024 at 4:44 AM, proedge said:

not to hijack this thread, but probably better than starting a new one... I'm trying to get my CAN Gauge to work... I've got two AEM Wideband sensors working fine, but the gauge does not. I tried to follow the settings that were in the manual, which did not work.

the O2 sensors are using Channels 1 and 2, with the bit rate set at 500 kbit/s. If I change it to 1mb like the instructions say, the O2 sensors no longer work. I only tried using Channel 3 for the gauge, does it matter which channel the gauge uses? I haven't tried doing the Extended settings yet in the manual, does all that need to be done for the gauge to show data?

All devices on the bus need to run at the same bus rate, leave it at 500kbit/s and when setting up the CAN gauge in the mobile app use the 500kBit/s version of the Link mode instead of the standard Link mode.