LINK G4X Dual e fans

BrianC13

I have a question in regards to fans maybe y'all can help. I have the (Flex-A-Lite Adjustable Electric Fan Controllers 30332) manual Fan controller. Its hooked up to a dual relay kit for dual fans. In order for these to work would i need to program something on the ecu?

the 12v trigger is tapped into the rev lamp fuse as they receive constant 12v and the battery is relocated to the trunk so the fan controller is connected to a plug that was for the battery by the fuse box.

So my question is do i have to activate something on the ecu as everything is getting power or is this just an issue with my fans since they dont turn on when its at running temps?

The fan controller comes with a stainless steel probe sensor how would i get it to activate my fan. 

I know i should've connected it straight to the ecu shop told me this wasn't an option so i will do that in the future and connect it to the ECT but right now how can i get these to turn on as its probably not programmed on the ecu and where would i go to do that?

This is for a sr20det 180sx on a link g4x

Whoever told you that the Link can't control fans is, frankly, an absolute idiot.

The ECU should have ECT, and there are a variety of outputs (Aux, and spare Injection and Ignition), and Fan functionality built into the ECU to natively control 3 fans, so you can ditch that "fan controller" box and the complexities and lack of control that come with it.

Basically, you would use an output to ground the coil of a relay (where the other side of the coil is connected to an ignition switched 12v feed), to activate the fan through the relay.

If you have two fans that you want to stage, use a second output and the second Engine Fan settings, so that you can have them come on at different temperatures to provide different levels of cooling.

In PC Link software, in the tree go to Aux Outputs -> Engine Fan and look at the configuration settings available, and read the Help that automatically pops up, this will explain it all.

There's even wiring diagrams available in the Help if you press F1 and go to Wiring Information -> Output Wiring -> Auxiliary Output Wiring -> Wiring Auxiliary Outputs, including details on how to avoid the common pitfalls that people encounter.

I figured i wasn't wrong when i told them that they told me ecu only have 5v output and the fans need 12v. Pretty known performance shop too which is even crazier.

Okay so i have 2 fans i would use a separate output to ground of each relay? and the other sides would be tapped in to a fuse with constant 12v feed?
am i getting that right?

is there any diagram you could possibly suggest for me?

Do you want to be able to stagger the fans coming on? Unless there's a specific reason to it's usually fine to use 1 output to turn both fans on / off at the same time.

As far as wiring goes;

ECU aux output -> Pin 85 on relay
Pin 86 on relay -> Switched IGN 12v (so no power when car is off)
Fused (to suit the current draw of your fan) from battery -> Pin 30 on relay
Pin 87 on relay -> Fan positive
Fan negative -> Chassis ground

What do you think should i stagger them?

Im working with a fully built sr20det bottom end and top end and i am running AC as well. Would it be better to just have both on at all times or would staggering them be best?

If, for example, only half your radiator is covered by the AC condenser, then you could choose to have only one fan on when AC is on.

Fans may be staggered on OEM purposes for various reasons, one might be noise - no point in having two big fans on full blast if you only need to remove a little bit of heat from the radiator when you're at idle, but if you're really hot, you may need more airflow. So, they'll only put one fan on to start with, and introduce the other if necessary.

If you've got the spare outputs, then just wire up two outputs to relays so you have the choice to stagger the fans coming on and do some testing to see whether you need it or not - but if you're short of outputs, then just use one, there's no harm in having more airflow than you need, but it is a problem having less than you need!

As you've got AC, you'll want the ECU knowing about and controlling all of this too. The ECU can increase the airflow at idle to compensate for the extra electrical load of the fans, and the extra mechanical load of the AC compressor - if the ECU doesn't know about this, it can't control it as well!

would I be fine installing it on ignition 5 and 6?

that being said I won’t have to do nothing with coolant sensor related right if I’m already getting temps show on the ecu.

and is there a fuse between pin85 to aux output on the ecu? I was told you can damage the ecu if it receives all 12v. Just asking as this is a learning process for me.

BB4F7002-A0FB-4B58-A235-20E412BADD71.jpeg

If you're already getting ECT in the ECU, then that side there's nothing to do.

Yes, Ign5 & Ign6 are suitable for outputs for this purpose. As previously said   you would connect this to the coil of a relay, and connect the other side of that relay coil to Ignition Switched 12v feed. The ECU will ground this, to engage the relay. The relay then has a fused 12v supply from the battery, and the power out to the fan. The main bulk of the power never goes near the ECU, only a very low current triggering signal for the relay.  @DerekAE86 has given you the exact wiring you need to do :) 

From the ignition switched 12v feed, to the relay, and then to the ECU, it can be pretty much anything, it's very low current. For future proofing, however, the spare Ign outputs can switch about 2A a piece to ground, so get wire suitable for this level of draw.

For the actual fan itself from battery via relay - how much current does the fan draw? Look up the various tables on the internet for recommended wire sizes for that load, and go at least one bigger!

20 hours ago, BrianC13 said:

Okay just double checking cant believe the shop told me this wasn't an option kinda mind blowing.

Judging by what they told you, it looks like they were telling you the ECU can’t ‘power’ a 12V fan, which is true. It just supplies a signal to trigger the relay. 

Please correct me if im wrong i started wiring it yesterday @DerekAE86 or anyone else.

So is pin 30 to battery the only pin on the relay that needs a fuse in between?

And for pin 86 since i have a dual relay kit, i have two wires 1 from each relay. Can i crimp them together and run one wire to the fuse box for the 12v IGN?

Yes, definitely a fuse between the battery and pin 30.

Ideally pin 86 will somewhere be fused, but if you're drawing from another ignition switched circuit, this is probably already taken care of, and yes, you can combine these if you wish.

No additional fuses required.

So i got the fans all wired up how can i get both to work at 65c. I just need to have them turn on and not stagger them for now just need to make sure they work. I will let the tuner adjust them.

when i pressed F1 for the wiring diagrams available nothing popped up or no help box popped up as well.

Auxiliary Outputs -> Engine Fan

image.thumb.png.d0463fa3476056ebbbb2260476132f64.png

In the default layout, I'm pretty sure the Help is automatically displayed to the right.

If not, try loading a Layout from Layout -> Load Layout, and load one of the Default Layouts there.

Also, once you've actually selected a property in the Config area, pressing F1 should give you the specific context help.

yeah thats kinda weird idk why i dont get the help browser. I will have to take another look.

Just by changing the engine temps will they turn on?

As mentioned i dont really need to adjust them i just need to see them spin lol so i can make sure everything it works.