Traction Control / Power Management Question.

k4nnon

Hey all Link G4x PnP user here. I have a question in regards to setting up traction control/power management in my vehicle. I have a 2006 USDM evo 9 that I am getting ready to send individual wheel speed via CAN to the link. However the evos use a trans speed sensor for vehicle speed. How is the link going to know when there is a loss of traction to implement the traction control/power management being that all 4 wheels are drive wheels? A loss of traction would only indicate an increase in mph/rpm correct? Im confusing myself. Please let me know if anyone has any input on this thankyou!! 

If you are sending all 4 wheel speeds to the ecu, then seeing a difference exceeding somethreshold in those wheels speeds should indicate a lack of traction.  I'm assuming you don't have all 4 wheels fully locked together when driving - there should be some type of differential coupling that allows enough slip and potentially cause a large difference of speed between 1 or 2 of the wheels compared to the rest.  Alternatively you can try to fit a GPS based speed sensor that would be your "actual speed" versus vehicle reported speed, but I don't know how well or fast a GPS sensor acts.  Perhaps something can be done using the internal accelerometer versus rate of change of vehicle speed?

@koracing hey thanks for the reply. I assume that a loss of traction would probably exceed some particular mph within a certain amount of time and kick the traction control to start working but I would have to actually figure out what that limit is, which may be difficult, especially on different surfaces. I seen in the "share your math block" forum someone posted a math block to calculate front wheel vs rear wheel slip for awd. Maybe I can set up something like that and use a math block to determine slip amount? Thanks again for the input!

I had some conversation with a coworker and I can just reassign my vehicle speed source to one of my wheel speed inputs instead of transmission speed sensor. That tales care of the wheel speed/trans speed issue. Just need to find a proper way to determine wheel slip while all 4 wheels are driving wheels. Like you mentioned, Im sure there will be a visible difference in a log when traction loss is happening. Its gonna be a bit before im able to test some things but forward thinking the process.. Thanks again for the added input. If you have anymore suggestions/ideas let me know!

The Slip calculation for Traction Control needs to see a difference between Driving (powered) and Driven (unpowered) speed sources, to determine when to cut power...

From the Help, your options for speed sources are:

• LF Wheel Speed
  • RF Wheel Speed
  • LR Wheel Speed
  • RR Wheel Speed
  • Average Front Speed
  • Average Rear Speed
  • Min Front Speed
  • Max Front Speed
  • Min Rear Speed
  • Max Rear Speed
  • Average Four Wheels
  • GP Speed 1
  • GP Speed 2
  • GP Speed 3
  • GP Speed 4
  • Outside Front Speed
  • Outside Rear Speed
  • GPS Speed

With 4 Driving (powered) wheels, though, the faster wheel could be either front OR rear, left OR right, so none of those are really suitable for finding an "obvious" way of determining slip - unless you can find a GPS Speed sensor which reacts quickly enough - a fast-acting 100-200Hz one is pretty expensive though!

Your gearbox speed sensor is essentially "Average Four Wheels" - so not sure that this will gain you much... but maybe there's something I've missed!

I've also got a 4WD Mitsubishi - a Legnum VR-4, this has some form of Traction Control - so someone out there somewhere has figured out a way of doing it with just 4 wheel speed sensors, gearbox speed sensor and maybe the accelerometers from the AYC/ASC system...

@Confused hey thanks for the input. Im actually not even sure this traction control adventure is a possibility or not. It doesnt sound like there is a good way to separate driving wheels from slipping wheels in an awd system like mine. There is essentially no undriven element. Ill keep thinking but may be a lost cause haha. Thanks for the input and if you think of anything else please let me know.

Yeah, there are not too many easy options with AWD systems like the Evo.  For straight-line type racing or launching it is more common to do some sort of open loop power management based on some predetermined curve of maximum possible wheel speed acceleration vs time or speed. 

I have seen LIDAR or RADAR and even fifth wheels used in some applications.  

The G5 would likely be able to do closer to traditional slip based TC using its "GPS".  The G5 uses a high speed GPS with sensor fusion and dead-reckoning which should remove most of the typical lag from GPS reported speed (not fully implemented or tested yet).