mounting bolt size

2.0L_turbo

hey guys I am just curious what size of bolts is used for the 3 holes on the bottom of the ecu? online I see listings saying its m5 but a 10mm socket bolt is typically 6mm x 1.0mm thread pitch yet these are too small and almost fall right through. Just want to get this guy mounted up tomorrow and need to know what to get thanks!

For those wondering the actual size of the threaded portion for the 3 bolts on the bottom of the ecu, its 1/4-28 bolt not sure why everyone is saying m5 unless thats literally to put the bolt all the way through but thats not what I was personally wanting to do. 

They are not threaded holes, they are/were plan drilled/milled through holes with a smooth internal diameter of 5.6mm, designed for screws to go through.  So it sounds like you have made your own threads by winding a larger bolt into the hole.  As long as you only gave them 3 uga duga's each you should be good  :lol:   

19 hours ago, Adamw said:

They are not threaded holes, they are/were plan drilled/milled through holes with a smooth internal diameter of 5.6mm, designed for screws to go through.  So it sounds like you have made your own threads by winding a larger bolt into the hole.  As long as you only gave them 3 uga duga's each you should be good  :lol:   

dude just no, on MY ecu it has 3 holes half of the hole is just a smooth machined normal hole on the top side of the ecu, but if you flip the ecu to the bottom it has threads that were there before I put my bolts into it and is even anodized or what ever coating that is put on the ecu when they ship out. meaning I didnt just make threads as that would show clean metal.  pic incoming 

20231220_211020

you can clearly see threads not a hole, and these were there right out of the box which is why the question was asked in the first place. why they didnt use a metric thread pitch I have no idea but I found what I needed so figured I would share to help others.

Ok, odd, they are not there by design as far as I can see from our manufacturing files.  My test ecu which is the only one I have handy doesnt have it, but it is a pre-production one.  I suspect possibly the manufacturer had a concession to add the thread to facilitate work holding while machining for the first batch before proper tooling was made or something along those lines.   Head office is on holiday now for a couple of weeks so I cant confirm the full story.  

My 

20 hours ago, 2.0L_turbo said:

dude just no, on MY ecu it has 3 holes half of the hole is just a smooth machined normal hole on the top side of the ecu, but if you flip the ecu to the bottom it has threads that were there before I put my bolts into it and is even anodized or what ever coating that is put on the ecu when they ship out. meaning I didnt just make threads as that would show clean metal.  pic incoming 

20231220_211020

you can clearly see threads not a hole, and these were there right out of the box which is why the question was asked in the first place. why they didnt use a metric thread pitch I have no idea but I found what I needed so figured I would share to help others.

Mine is the same, was doing my head in trying to figure out what thread it was meant to be

• 3 weeks later...

Kia Ora, 

Those threads are not intended for mounting purposes.

The Voodoo Pro uses a FIPG (form In Place Gasket). This could make separating the enclosure very hard for service technicians. The threads you are looking at are jacking threads. They are used to jack the enclosure apart without damaging the enclosure.

The thread is M7x1.0. It is intentionally chosen to be obscure so that people don't easily have hardware on hand and this reduces the chances of people accidentally jacking their enclosures apart, damaging the seal and the M3 threads that hold it together.  

The Voodoo Pro is intended to be mounted using screws from the top down and accommodates Metric (M5) and imperial (3/16 or #10) socket screws. As Adam correctly mentioned earlier, there are also M5x0.8 blind threads on the sides of the Voodoo Pro that can be used for mounting. While technically possible, it is not intended or recommended to use the M7X1.0 threads for mounting.

You'll see future products from Link that also have these jacking threads. 

Sorry that this has caused you problems. It was not expected that people would want to mount Bottom-Up, as Top-Down is more commonly easy to access. We thought we'd covered it well by including both face (Top-Down) and side mounting options. 

Obviously, it's too late for Voodoo Pro, but is there a large desire from the community to use Bottom-Up mounting on future products?   

On 12/22/2023 at 8:48 PM, 2.0L_turbo said:

Glad I could help man mine definitely had me running around till I thought to try a pitch gauge and realized it wasnt metric lol

Now you have me worried. What fastener have you used?