EWP control on xtreme

Steve Bull

I think you might struggle with a G4.  Attached is a G4+ map that I set up to operate similar to the davis craig controller for someone else before.  It may give you some ideas.  It uses a timer and 3 virtual auxes.

From memory it pulses the water pump on for 1/2 a second once every 4 seconds during warm up, once water is above 50°C it pulses on for 2sec every 4 sec, then above 90° it runs full time.

Elec water pump cycle.pclr

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Grant Baker said:

Do you think this one will work ok?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solid-state-relays/4914947/

And, do you need a pull-up resistor?

I notice Haltech supply one with the relay they sell...

https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-030202-solid-state-relay-100-amp/

that's what we use Grant , think that the relay you need to run resistor across the 2 wires controlling the relay;  Adam did a good reply regards the resistor set up across some solid state relays sometime ago.

Also the guys at Devils Own list a cheap solid state relay but I havent looked at specs  http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=27&product_id=229

The Hella you can buy cheaper  as well , no data if it needs a resistor fitted thou

Also you need to work out what minimum on voltage is , some wont work below 3v so they may only work for 30% PWM output

The RS one you linked to is only for switching AC so that wont work.  Look for the equivalent but DC on the output side.

You dont need a pull-up resistor, the Haltech ECU's dont have a pull-up on their aux outputs whereas the Link does.  

Most of these industrial SSR's arent designed to PWM inductive loads so I think you may need to grossly oversize it (notice the Haltech one is 100A) for reliability and you cant PWM them very fast, about 100Hz or so.

Not really, I've used the hella one a few times for fuel pumps on race cars with slow/small alternators but only smallish pumps at about 10A.  They are rated for 22A, but a few other guys on here that tried them with higher loads said they overheat and reduce output after a short time.

In the Megasquirt world the Dorman 902-303 (jeep) or Dorman 902-310 (dodge) are common and are meant to do up to 40A PWM.  Never used one personally however.