350z Slip Light & TCS Dash Lights on -

BeallJK

Gentlemen - 

Came across a little issue where my Slip Light and TCS(VDC) light (on the OEM Dash) come on essentially as soon as I start the car.  

(My caveat is that I may have cut a wire in my 'unified meter' which may be causing this issue - I'm tracking this down as-well but this just happened and I am not 100% convinced it's the unified meter or CAN related) 

My question: is there a way or method to use the Link ECU to determine what's triggering those lights to come on?  

A few things:

My wheel speed sensors are all functioning and I can get identical & real-time wheel speed data without issues 

all 4 of my wheels are the same specs (square setup)

I dont think it's my crank position sensor as it's relatively new and the car starts up quickly and crisply

Thank you in-advance

This may be an ECU related problem - there are some specific models where we have seen something similar.  What causes the problem is at key on the ABS ecu expects an acknowledge very quickly from the engine ECU - but the Link ECU is slower respond than the factory ecu at boot up time when it is doing lots of high priority tasks.  Because the ABS doesnt receive the acknowledge instantly it throws an error.  

I will PM you some instructions with a simple wiring change that is needed to solve the issue.  

• BeallJK changed the title to 350z Slip Light & TCS Dash Lights on -
10 hours ago, Adamw said:

This may be an ECU related problem - there are some specific models where we have seen something similar.  What causes the problem is at key on the ABS ecu expects an acknowledge very quickly from the engine ECU - but the Link ECU is slower respond than the factory ecu at boot up time when it is doing lots of high priority tasks.  Because the ABS doesnt receive the acknowledge instantly it throws an error.  

I will PM you some instructions with a simple wiring change that is needed to solve the issue.  

Thank you Adam - I got the PM and I will report back. 

Update:

To confirm, ensure I understand the fix, and hopefully help anyone else having this issue

5pin Relay Assignment

Pin 85 - Ground/Earth

Pin 86 - Starter Signal from Steering Column

Pin 87 - No Assignment  (Assuming Pin 87 can just be null / blank?? Or does it need to be connected to Ground/Earth?)

Required to cut OEM ABS Traction ECU+12v Power Source wire for Pin 87a and Pin 30 

Pin 87a - 'Upstream' ABS Traction ECU +12v Power Source 

Pin 30 - 'Downstream' ABS Traction ECU +12v Power Source

When Starter Signal is energized Pin 87a connects to Pin 87 and the ABS Traction ECU is power source is open(ABS Traction Power Source is disconnected and not powered, not functioning) 

When Starter Signal is NOT energized Pin 87a connect to Pin 30 and the ABS Traction ECU is closed(ABS Traction Power Source is connected and powered, functioning as OEM intended) 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Oldmanz350 said:

Hi Adam,

Could you PM me the instructions with a simple wiring change that is needed to solve the issue as well.

You have a G4X though dont you?  This problem have been solved natively with the G4X and no modification is required.  The wiring change was only needed with G4+ that was slower to boot up.

Yes, I have the G4X, but I have the problem as well. Had it from day One.

Out of the 150 times or so, I've started or driven my car, These Lights have been OFF, Only 2 times though. Strange......

I've also updated to the latest Firmware yesterday.

Thanks,

Tim Hampton

That's odd.  It was only fixed in relatively recent firmware from memory.  So it might pay to do a battery disconnect to clear the faults since you have only recently updated firmware it may just be reporting an historic error now.  I dont know how this car well, but some dont stop reporting codes until a certain number of key cycles after the fault has been fixed.

Slip Light & TCS Dash Lights are OFF Now! Great that worked, Thanks Adam.

But, I forgot to tell you I also have the AIRBAG Light ON - BLINKING, this has also been on from day one.

I have not done anything with the wiring, just Installed the Link G4X.

Any Idea?

Thanks,

Tim Hampton

There is no CAN interaction between the engine ecu and the airbag ecu as far as I can see.  I suspect you possibly really do a problem there if a light is on.  It would need someone with an advanced scan tool to see what the airbag fault is about or reset it.  

Adam, I have a Scan Tool. The funny thing is, it's always worked before for the last 10 years. Now when I plug it in to the OBD II Port, Lights come on, but it Will Not Link. I get a Link Error.

This is an Odd coincident of the: AirBag Light, Scan Tool Link Error & The New G4X Install. Especially that I've Never touched any of the CAN Wiring. I'm also the Original Owner of the car & I've always done all the work on it myself.

Stranger things have happened though. LOL

I'm a bit lost at the moment, but I'll get it worked out......I always do! :)

Thanks for your Input Adam!

Tim Hampton 

The scan tool, unless it cost you hundreds or thousands, is probably only trying to connect to the engine ECU - which you've now removed.

You'll need a professional scan tool which can connect to multiple systems, especially the SRS system, which in many cases will not reset by simply removing power for a few minutes.

For my '98 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4, I found that the following scan tools worked for resetting SRS issues caused by things like a broken clock spring, removing steering wheel/seats (then turning ignition on) etc, or another issue (once fixed):

• Mitsubishi MUT-II and MUT-III
  • Snap-On Solus
  • Bluepoint G-Scan
  • Launch X431 Pro 3

But the following didn't:

• Launch EasyDiag 2.0 (with XPro software)

So it's definitely possible that you're just not using the right tool for the job.

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 8:36 AM, Oldmanz350 said:

Adam, I have a Scan Tool. The funny thing is, it's always worked before for the last 10 years. Now when I plug it in to the OBD II Port, Lights come on, but it Will Not Link. I get a Link Error.

This is an Odd coincident of the: AirBag Light, Scan Tool Link Error & The New G4X Install. Especially that I've Never touched any of the CAN Wiring. I'm also the Original Owner of the car & I've always done all the work on it myself.

Stranger things have happened though. LOL

I'm a bit lost at the moment, but I'll get it worked out......I always do! :)

Thanks for your Input Adam!

Tim Hampton 

Old thread but, If you're still having this issue, NDSII (Nissan Data Scan 2) lets you connect into the BCM and SRS systems with a simple K-line interface cable. It wont like the new ecu i'd imagine but its a reliable way to get into your ABS and Safety systems and pull faults / clear faults if you need. I'm sure i have a spare license laying around too if you end up needing a quick way in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 1:32 PM, Oldmanz350 said:

But, I forgot to tell you I also have the AIRBAG Light ON - BLINKING, this has also been on from day one.

I have not done anything with the wiring, just Installed the Link G4X.

Any Idea?

Thanks,

Tim Hampton

Hi Tim, the airbag light is a known issue with 350Z and happens when the ECU and airbag lose connection which happens every now and then out of the blue. I would say every 6-8 months it happens in my car. Once the error occurs the light will always flash until you do the reset procedure. To fix it turn off your car and put the key into the ignition, turn the key to ignition position and wait for the airbag light to blink once and as soon as the light blacks out turn your key to the off position before the light comes back on. Repeat this process 5 or so times. On the 5th attempt turn the key to start the engine as soon as the light goes out instead of turning to the off position. The light shouldn't come back on until a future communication error occurs in many months time.

There are videos all over YouTube for it but here's one I just found:

https://youtu.be/iJtC-MTZZSE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...