Cold start

Bananawasp

During cold mornings (around 10 degrees) I'm having bother starting the car. I'm having to turn the car over on the starter motor for around 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. If I try and start the car for 10secs and then try again a few times it starts much easier. I have tried changing the crank enrichment around the 10 degrees mark but it makes no difference. Should I enable pre crank prime? It was off as default and wondered whether or not this will help. The car starts fine when hot but with the winter coming it's becoming increasingly difficult as the temps drop.

Thanks 

Under your cold start settings:

Pre crank Prime must be set to Ign start position and in the Pre-Crank Prime table you must have values for the -30 to 50 degree fields. All depending on what size injectors you have, but on the 10 degree cell you should have the number 30 in there about , 25 for 20 degrees, 20 for 30 degrees etc.

The car is an R53 mini, running tesco momentum fuel, its running 550cc injectors a big valve head and an aggressive camshaft. I have a link can lambda sensor wired in but have noticed from cold the car doesnt seem to run that rich ie doesnt look like warm up enrichment is adding much fuel and im close to my afr target.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:40 PM, Bananawasp said:

The car is an R53 mini, running tesco momentum fuel, its running 550cc injectors a big valve head and an aggressive camshaft. I have a link can lambda sensor wired in but have noticed from cold the car doesnt seem to run that rich ie doesnt look like warm up enrichment is adding much fuel and im close to my afr target.

Hi! What is your AFR reading ? On cold start it should be AROUND the 12.5 AFR range when idling 

On cold start settings, check the following : 

Pre crank table : value of 25 in the 20 degrees , 30 in the 10degrees and 40 in the 0degrees, 22 in the 30 degrees filed

Crank enrichment table: 225 in the 0degrees, 155 in the 10degrees, 115 in the 20degrees, 85 in the 30degrees

Post start enrichment table: 150 in the 0degrees, 110 in the 10degrees, 80 in 20degrees, 60 in the 30degrees

warm up enrichment table: 35 in 0degrees, 25 in 10degrees, 18 in 20 degrees, 15 in 30degrees.

These are pretty accurate 550 injector guessing, if your fuel pressure on idle is 2.9-3.2 bar 

VERY IMPORTANT: I have fixed many cars with cold start issues, because the values are too high or low in the startup section of the MAIN FUEL table. Check the values on the main fuel table when car is cranking and make it 10 less or 10 more than original value currently and hear which one made the car start better etc.  

i checked the enrichment table's and your guess is really close to the base map settings. i tried making a change of +10 in the main fuel table but that didn't really make much of a difference. i was running 0.850 lambda on start up but that quickly changed as the warm up enrichment started to decrease. one thing i didn't notice but im unsure why is my lambda changed to around 0.930 until my coolant hit 50 degrees. The lambda then suddenly changed to 0.860 where its stayed for a little. Its like the warm up enrichment suddenly started again.

It looks like there is not enough fuel to me as in your log there are no signs of life until you start "pumping" the throttle which adds an extra 200% accel fuel.  

One problem is the pre-crank prime is set to "start position".  The mini ECU doesnt have a starter input so this will never work, it needs to be set to "Key on" to have any effect at all.  

I would also try increasing "First Crank Enrich", try doubling it to see if it helps or not.  

• 2 years later...
On 10/11/2021 at 8:47 AM, Warchild said:

Hi! What is your AFR reading ? On cold start it should be AROUND the 12.5 AFR range when idling 

On cold start settings, check the following : 

Pre crank table : value of 25 in the 20 degrees , 30 in the 10degrees and 40 in the 0degrees, 22 in the 30 degrees filed

Crank enrichment table: 225 in the 0degrees, 155 in the 10degrees, 115 in the 20degrees, 85 in the 30degrees

Post start enrichment table: 150 in the 0degrees, 110 in the 10degrees, 80 in 20degrees, 60 in the 30degrees

warm up enrichment table: 35 in 0degrees, 25 in 10degrees, 18 in 20 degrees, 15 in 30degrees.

These are pretty accurate 550 injector guessing, if your fuel pressure on idle is 2.9-3.2 bar 

VERY IMPORTANT: I have fixed many cars with cold start issues, because the values are too high or low in the startup section of the MAIN FUEL table. Check the values on the main fuel table when car is cranking and make it 10 less or 10 more than original value currently and hear which one made the car start better etc.  

Maybe you can help me out too @Warchild? since you drive a subaru also

When starting up, the car starts pretty good. But at idling at cold startup, my complete garage smells like unburned fuel.

Not surprising my AFR reads 10.0 flashing... so its running super rich.

Its an 2005 STI with fully build engine.

2.5L FCD

GSC272 cams

pocket ported heads 

1300cc bosch topfeed

340L/HR fuel pump, Running 98ron.