Link G4X intermittent no power up at key on

koracing

I've noticed this lately in the last couple months (all on the newest firmware) on a few different cars (ruling out one car having a particular wiring issue).  Once in a while you key on and there's no check engine light and of course the car won't start.  If you power off and back on then usually the check engine light appears and starts up fine.  Have had a laptop hooked up to a couple and can verify that with no check engine light, there is no connection available to the ECU as in the ECU isn't alive or powered up.  Have seen this on the bench once as well powering from the TVS diode.  I'm not sure if there's a firmware or hardware issue going on here, but it's not consistent enough to make it repeatable and possible diagnose further.  Has Link seen this happen?

When first encountered I assumed there was an issue on the car's ignition switch or wiring to the ecu causing it, but after it happened on a couple more cars and on the bench, I'm not thinking it's a wiring issue.  Something in the power up sequence in the ecu doesn't seem to be 100% reliable.

Yes this problem was discovered a while ago, it is caused by a problem in an earlier bootloader.  From memory there was a specific set of conditions needed to cause it so it didnt affect too many users very often.  Pretty sure one of them was the laptop needed to be connected and in search mode during power up but I dont remember.

The bootloader can not be updated by the end user however, the ecu will need to come back to link for the update.  

So should I pre-emtively just send back every ecu I've purchased for customers in the last year?  Is that even reasonable to expect?  Is there an ECU SN above/below that would let us know if one might or might not be affected?

Hello, my Storm X seems to be the same

In that case, the fuelpump does not turn, there is an abnormality in the can connection of the external meter, the ecu blue lamp is lit, and it does not start even after cranking

Even if the key is turned off again and started normally, the message "boot error" or "starting in boot mode" appears.

Is it necessary to send the ECU? Or will changing the laptop solve the problem?

Yes it sounds like you may suffer the same bootloader issue.  When you have some time up your sleeve contact [email protected] with a message that you require the bootloader update and they can give you instructions on getting it returned.  

1 hour ago, keizsr said:

Even if the key is turned off again and started normally, the message "boot error" or "starting in boot mode" appears.

This is related to something different and Im pretty sure it is solved in the next software/firmware release (not far away).  

i've had this on a lot of cars , with wire-ins and plug-ins allways on G4X

i always update to the latest firmware

i've had it occur when there was no laptop connected 100% sure

last time was last week , killed the engine in traffic with a strong clutch, did a restart and the starter just spun the engine , no sign of life
did another restart and fired right up

i must say i've tried to recreate it and was unable to , they just randomly do it

still havent got a customer complain but i'm quite sure they will be furious when they lose their precious 5 seconds on the rally stage

There was a recent change to improve quick trim in the latest PC Link update.  I suspect there may be an AFR/lambda conversion issue causing what you are seeing there.  Can you attach the log file you are using?  Did quick trim work correctly in the orange cells?

Thanks for the log, I can reproduce the same problem you have encountered.  It appears to be related to the conversion to AFR.  Since we all use Lambda internally here I suspect we all forgot to test this updated quick trim using AFR units.  You will have to temporarily change to Lambda units (shortcut U).  I will let the software team know there is a problem but the engineer that made this change is on holiday until the middle of next week so we likely wont have a fix for a week or so.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  

• 6 months later...

I've started having the same issue with my G4X on my 1990 Celica Alltrac.  I have to toggle the power to the ECU MANY times until it finally turns on.  It wasn't as bad until about a month or 2 ago, then it does it every so often and it can take 20-30 or more times of switching power on for the ECU to turn on, and prime the fuel pump.  No ECU connected to Laptop during this (it happens when I'm at work going to leave).  I ran new wiring to the ECU to bypass existing wiring in car, etc.  Voltage over 11VDC every time before starting... Do I need to send my ECU back for this fix?

image.png.cd9d70ad025fd510f11a614f641e6e3c.png

This doesnt really sound like the bootloader problem.  The bootloader issue did not occur very often and was pretty difficult to reproduce. 

Can you pull the lid off the case and have a look at the two LED's.  When the ecu boots normally you will see a quick flash on the CE light first, then the power LED will come on.  When the bootloader problem occurs the CE light will get "stuck on", and the power LED will never come on.  

So a normal power up will look like the pic below, a boot failure will be the opposite, the CE light will be on solid and the power LED will be off.

HP4bhH7.png

Ill see if I can work on this weekend and maybe get a video or something of when it does this with the cover off.

On 3/26/2023 at 4:50 PM, Adamw said:

This doesnt really sound like the bootloader problem.  The bootloader issue did not occur very often and was pretty difficult to reproduce. 

Can you pull the lid off the case and have a look at the two LED's.  When the ecu boots normally you will see a quick flash on the CE light first, then the power LED will come on.  When the bootloader problem occurs the CE light will get "stuck on", and the power LED will never come on.  

So a normal power up will look like the pic below, a boot failure will be the opposite, the CE light will be on solid and the power LED will be off.

HP4bhH7.png

Do you have a laptop you can connect and see if it’s lining up with the link lights as in it connects every time the lights on the link are on?  If you sit there with the key on and the link powering up but no check engine light on dash, does it eventually come on on its own?  

I have to review 90 celica wiring to see if it’s a power supply side issue to the dash and circuit opening relay.  I’m leaning toward the link is not the issue in your case. Perhaps the ignition switch contacts are getting worn out.

I'll update when I get a chance to connect.  I'm thinking I need to work on some of the wiring anyway, so this might be the time to look into a better positive battery cable, etc. (starter doesn't always kick over and i have it on a push button bypassing key).

• 2 weeks later...

So was able to plug in and get it when it didn't power on the fuel pump or dash check engine light.  Here's a video, and it did turn on with the 2nd key on application.  In the lower right on the link status screen was a checksum error in red that cleared when the key on worked on the 2nd try.  FYI.  Also my Canbus gauge (gaugeART brand) i got a picture of one time when the fuel pump and CEL did not cycle on and then when they did.  Since that comes from the ECU, figure it might be something else pointing at possible ECU error of some kind.  Anyway, look and let me know what you think.  We are going to try swapping the daughter board with another one to see if the issue goes away or not also.  Will update after some time with that to see if it improves anything.

No CEL Light or Fuel Pump Prime:

image.png.3e636650a99e93a58d67fe70de9b6f76.png

CEL and Fuel Pump Prime:

image.png.e7cced327727af68d1051aa1ae70b8fb.png

Error log during ECU connected to laptop with initial non CEL and Fuel Pump prime, then after when it did.

image.png.af5b164bc8e248ad0aa54de40429fa29.png

image.png.8899d274e9652d979ee8223f531d474f.png

Video of key on without CEL and Fuel Pump prime - then with CEL and Fuel pump Prime:

On 9/8/2022 at 8:57 AM, Adamw said:

Pretty sure one of them was the laptop needed to be connected and in search mode during power up but I dont remember.

I'm getting this on my MonsoonX G4x with the latest firmware/software.

99% sure it's only when the laptop is connected with the PCLink software open as you say.

ECU doesn't power up, no fuel pime, no tach sweep, etc.

20 hours ago, Alikazam said:

So was able to plug in and get it when it didn't power on the fuel pump or dash check engine light.  Here's a video, and it did turn on with the 2nd key on application.  In the lower right on the link status screen was a checksum error in red that cleared when the key on worked on the 2nd try.  FYI.  Also my Canbus gauge (gaugeART brand) i got a picture of one time when the fuel pump and CEL did not cycle on and then when they did.  Since that comes from the ECU, figure it might be something else pointing at possible ECU error of some kind.  Anyway, look and let me know what you think.  We are going to try swapping the daughter board with another one to see if the issue goes away or not also.  Will update after some time with that to see if it improves anything.

That looks like you possibly have some faulty hardware.  It is not the bootloader error as you are connected to the ecu and have live data.  But at the beginning of your video none of the auxes have their assigned labels.  Get in touch with tech support to get it checked out.  [email protected].

13 hours ago, DerekAE86 said:

I'm getting this on my MonsoonX G4x with the latest firmware/software.

Can you give us a pic of the >help>ecu information screen, you could potentially have one with the older bootloader.