MAP calibration fails

jnfurniss

I bought a GX4 second and I think it might have a bad internal MAP. I have been able to diagnose and fix any error I have come across so far. But for some reason, when I calibrate the MAP sensor. It fails every time. I get this message every time, MAP Sensor Calibration command failed: Current MAP <5kPa or > 5kPa of baro reading. 

I have adjusted the k5Pa to several times to many different settings I have found, here within the forums. I so not have a map or any tune yet as I can't get the MAP sensor to calibrate. Any help would be appreciated.

G4X ECUs changed from a 4Bar internal MAP sensor to a 7Bar sensor a while ago so you might just have it set to the wrong calibration, what voltage does the sensor show at atmospheric pressure and what calibration have you got it set to?

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

G4X ECUs changed from a 4Bar internal MAP sensor to a 7Bar sensor a while ago so you might just have it set to the wrong calibration, what voltage does the sensor show at atmospheric pressure and what calibration have you got it set to?

I tried a few different options. Low is .05kpa high was was 4.95 kPa. I haven't touched it since I posted this. But I will try changing it to the 7bar tomorrow night and update you. Thank you for replying.

On 7/4/2023 at 4:25 PM, Vaughan said:

Another question instead of making another thread. I noticed my Lambda doesn't move. I have a series x Uego but without having an expansion loom, is there a way to wire in my wideband?

The series X can be wired in via either CAN or via a spare analog input, I always recommend CAN as it is immune to ground offset issues. I'm not sure which specific ECU you have (assuming a plugin) but you may be able to use a spare Analog from the main header if you wanted to avoid buying an expansion connector/loom or CAN loom, the old Narrowband O2 sensor plug is often a good way to do this if your vehicle has one and the ECU is pinned to support it.

9 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

The series X can be wired in via either CAN or via a spare analog input, I always recommend CAN as it is immune to ground offset issues. I'm not sure which specific ECU you have (assuming a plugin) but you may be able to use a spare Analog from the main header if you wanted to avoid buying an expansion connector/loom or CAN loom, the old Narrowband O2 sensor plug is often a good way to do this if your vehicle has one and the ECU is pinned to support it.

I am using a G4x Xtreme. Plug n play unit for the 350z. 

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

An Volt 10 or 11 are available on the factory NB O2 sensor plugs or An Volt 3 in the MAF plug if you're not using that or An Volt  if you're not using AC or An Volt 1 if not using cruise control.

Perfect thank you.

On 7/5/2023 at 9:57 PM, jnfurniss said:

Perfect thank you.

So I'm rather confused at this point. My Lambda within the software is pinned at 1.302. On my wideband it's at about 14.5 which should be roughly 1 lambda. My car will idle for 5-10 seconds and then dies because the goes to about -55 MGP (kPa) of 45.9-46.3 at about 600rpm. I can hold the rpms steady around 800 and make adjustments on the mixture table, but I feel like I am missing something. 

2 hours ago, jnfurniss said:

So I'm rather confused at this point. My Lambda within the software is pinned at 1.302.

Sounds like a wiring issie. 1.302 Lambda would mean the ECU is seeing a constant 5v on the Analog Input.

According to the X-Series manual you need to connect the White wire to your spare An Volt input on your ECU and the Brown wire to Sensor GND on the ECU. Then create and assign a Linear Cal of 0.50v = 0.58 Lambda / 4.5v = 1.23 Lambda.

18 hours ago, jnfurniss said:

My car will idle for 5-10 seconds and then dies because the goes to about -55 MGP (kPa) of 45.9-46.3 at about 600rpm. I can hold the rpms steady around 800 and make adjustments on the mixture table, but I feel like I am missing something. 

Sounds like not enough fuel.  Have you adjusted the master fuel?  Attach a log and your tune.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, Adamw said:

@jdniss If you have an issue you will need to provide a log and a copy of your tune, can't tell anything from a pic.  Unlikely related to this post.

The same exact error message two others are receiving - including the Post I linked, that was opened by a separate user..?

The G4X in question has been installed in place of a functional G4+ that was running for 3 years no issues - no MAP errors to speak of.
The G4X was loaded with the supplied base map and sensor reconfiguration to suit.

I'll see if can re-replicate the problem again tomorrow morning and grab another log.

What I mean by yours being unrelated is the two users in this post and the OP in the other one you linked all had the 4bar calibration selected in their tune when their ecu actually has a 7bar sensor.  Your post said your ecu had a 7 bar sensor and your screenshot suggested you had already selected the 7bar cal, so that cant be the problem in your case. 

To diagnose your issue it would be best to start a dedicated post with the tune and log attached so it gets the attention it deserves.

Hi @Adamw,

See log and map attached.

I kept flipping between metric and imperial pressures in the PCLink Preferences prior to engine start - as that's what solved the issue last time and allowed the software to register a successful MAP sensor calibration - no luck this time though.

Thanks

Nissan S14-15 7Bar G4X Xtreme Plugin ADM 740.pclx 7bar map base test.llgx

The MAP has to be within 5kpa of the BAP for the calibration to be successful.  This number seems a little bit arbitrary but I understand why they set a range.  If your voltage is good and your grounds are all good (which can affect sensor readings), check what the MAP reading is without the hose from the manifold connected.  If it doesn't seem to want to fall inside the 5kpa range, you can "trick" the calibration as you are right on the cusp of your map being 105.8kpa when BAP is 100.8kpa.  You can apply the tiniest bit of vacuum to the hose (suck on it a little) to get it to read within that 5kpa range but still above the BAP reading and then click calibrate.  At that point if you stop sucking on the hose the calibration should be within 5kpa when you hook the hose back up and you can calibrate again and it should work fine.

@jdniss I think you should get your ECU back to Link for inspection, I suspect your MAP sensor is probably faulty, in your log the voltage on AN Volt 3 is a good 50mV or 10Kpa higher than it should be.  Contact [email protected] to arrange.

@Brian B You shouldn't need to do any tricks like that with G4X as the offset is cleared everytime you do a cal.  This was different in G4+ which could end up with a zero offset stored from a previous calibration that would cause subsequent cal to fail.  So if a G4X doesnt pass MAP cal you either have a faulty sensor or an incorrect calibration set.