No trigger signals on COP kit.

Clattie

Hi guys, 

I'm looking to start my project car this week but I'm getting no signal from either my Cam or Crank Sensor on an aftermarket COP kit.Cranking.llgx

However, I am getting a constant voltage of around 3.66 with and without cranking...
I'm running two hall effect sensors (GS1005-GS1007) with a 60-2 missing tooth trigger wheel, note that the hall effect sensors need a 2.4k ohm resistor but I'm not sure what the internal resistor is on the link ecu.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? I'm going to retest tomorrow because I must not of saved the change from the reluctor to the hall effect sensor.

Edit #1 - The documentation states that the sensors require an external pull-up resistor between the signal wire and the power wire (I was under the impression I could just activate the internal one on the signal wire), it also says on the document that it's compatible with 5v. Is this common? I'm going to rewire it tomorrow and hopefully save an output on my PDM by switching it over to 5V and get these working!

Without Cranking.llgx A MR2 MAP.pclx

Those sensors will work with the ecu's internal pull-up well enough to show a signal and at least run.  They do sometimes need the stronger pull-up as recommended on the datasheet for high tooth count wheels at high RPM, but that is not your problem right now.  

They will work with anything from 5-24V so not fussy on power supply.  

But the document also states the external pull-up should be bridged between two wires. Output and power, I don't have any resistors in the wiring, and the internal pull-up is on the output wire only.

I've checked the continuity between all the wires and they are fine, I've also made sure my cable shielding is grounded properly too, as you said my voltage looks good as well so I'm not sure what else to check.

The ZF sensors are very common, they have been widely used with ecu’s for the last 20years so I’m very familiar with them and how a pull-up works.  
The ecu internal pull-up resistor forms exactly the same circuit and the same functionality as the external one drawn on the sensor data sheet.  The only difference is it is lower resistance than recommended and it is connected to a regulated power supply rather the often variable sensor supply that the data sheet shows so the internal one will give more accurate timing.  

The fact you still have 3.6V showing in the trigger scope when you short the signal wire to ground means that signal wire is not connected to the trigger 1 pin at the ecu.  

Yes, that was my point, I was thinking that not bridging an external resistor between the power and signal was a wiring error of my own fault. But as you've just explained it doesn't matter.

I still get 3.6v but I get no wavelength on the graph. I'll get someone to hold the wire in place of the short tomorrow incase something wasn't 100% contacting the pins and go from there.

Today I switched the sensor over to a 5v power from the ECU and put two 1kohm resistors between signal and 5v on both cam and crank sensor as per specification sheet.

Now thankfully... I am getting a trig signal 'yes' for both triggers, although no voltage and 1 or 2 spikes on the scope.

Someone has mentioned it could be my resistor but I've only followed the spec sheet from the manufacturer.

Update - I've now whittled it down to the sensor grounding, the wiring is all 100% fine but I'm not getting any ground unless I manually short the ground to the signal wire. it may be that both sensors have been fried during the wiring or setting up.

Any other bright ideas as to what it could potentially be?

I would try powering the sensor up on the bench for a quick test with all car wiring eliminated.  You can connect the +/- direct to a battery, you will need a pull-up between the + and signal wire.  Then put a volt meter on the signal wire and see if it changes when you move some steel past the front of the sensor.  

Your wiring is correct.  No video attached but assuming the volt meter still showed the same 13V with something steel/iron in front of the sensor then yes the sensor is dead.  The 1K pull-up is fine, those sensors are rated to sink 20mA and that resistor would be about 13mA.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo, I tested one of the replacements today and I'm still getting a solid 4.5v I've tried it inside the cam housing and with a few tools infront of it but nothing.

I'll have to get the other one out of the packaging and bench test it.

Not really, but I guess I'll have to do it somehow.

I've already tested it on the bench and it's showing 1k resistance too.

Would my shielded cable ran Into the signal ground cause any issues? I've got it wired this way but I'm thinking it should be on power ground now.

So I've tested everything again and it all seems just fine.

Sensors powered from 5v at the ecu

Sensor Signal are the right pinout at ecu

Sensor signal ground to ecu signal ground

5v from signal at the harness

5v from ecu 5v supply at the harness

0v from signal ground at the harness

1k ohm resistor between 5v and signal which is reading around 0.988 ohms.

Sensor is also dropping from 4.5v to 0v on the bench test which indicates its grounding.

When using the trigger scope and not cranking I'm just getting waves of what I think is noise on the scope? Shouldn't it just be a steady 4.5 or atleast somewhat steady?

Honestly can't think what the issue could be.

20230409_193845.jpg

I've just noticed the signal wire is sat at around 5v too? Surely this is a problem?

ALL TEST ON HARNESS SIDE IN ENGINE BAY.

SIGNAL - Multimeter on Signal and Grounded to engine head (Around 5v)

SIGNAL GROUND - Multimeter on Signal Ground and Grounded to engine head (Around 0v)

5V SUPPLY -  Multimeter on 5v Supply and Grounded to Engine Head (Around 5v)

I've shoved the prongs down the back of the connector with the sensor installed and everything is powered up, sensor is dropping from 5v to 0v just fine...

I've included this diagram to show you my exact setup... is something wrong?

Screenshot 2023-04-10 182922.png

That isn't how you want to wire it. You're mixing 12v supply and 5v pull-up onto the Signal.

You either want to supply the sensor power from the ECU 5v with and have the optional single 1k ohm resistor between the ECU 5v and Signal.
Or supply the sensor power from switched/ignition 12v and have the optional 2.4-3k ohm resistor between 12v and the Signal.

But according to Adam the pull-up resistor shouldn't even be required as the Link has an internal pull-up you can enable in the Trigger settings.