Antilag

Mark Butcher

Hey all, Just installed a G4 into my 2001 WRX Rally Car. Got the antilag and cyclic idle running but the anti-lag seems a bit aggresive and also seems to hold the revs up high. What do I need to adjust to make it a little less aggresive and why is it holding revs? Previous cars I have had - on back of the antilag kicks in and the revs drop back to about 2000rpm... with a few bangs only on the way down. This one bangs quickly and deosnt seem to drop. Cheers Mark

Hi Mark,

What do you mean by too aggressive? Too much boost?

If you want to remove some of the aggression, decrease the amount of air being bled into the engine. Based on this you will need to adjust the amount of ignition retard and cut to get the anti-lag to stabilize the RPM around 2000.

If you want to make the same/more boost but have the RPM settling lower, increase the ignition retard and cut - but be careful as extra retard will generate more heat in the exhaust potentially damaging something.

Also check the anti-lag timeout is set correctly (typically around 3 seconds).

Hope this is a starting point.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil, The rules dont allow for the air bleed valve. We have had a melted piston today - not sure the cause of it - possibly the anti-lag - as it seemed to happen once we turned this on. Do you have a sample settings for the anit-lag? I used what the manual suggested - but it seems this is a lot of retard compared to what people have mentioned. Cheers Mark [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Darryn.

With E-Throttle it's just a setting so that is easy if you have one (and an ECU/Module that will enable this control).  Another way is to use a throttle stop screw to hold the throttle plate open, but this is a permanent high idle feature you will have to deal with on your daily drive (not recommended to run AL on your daily though).  Or use a solenoid as you suggest. 

Link sells their 'ISS' (Idle Speed Solenoid), but that won't really cut it on most applications to bleed enough air for AL.  I have seen on one car 2 of them which did bleed enough however. That was on an FJ20 with approximately 500RWHP... But this really is a half measure and I don't recommend it.

I am sure if you visit some automation/Process industries you may find a 12v solenoid designed for some machine you may be able to hack up and make fit ;)

Jurgen

Hi Jurgen, thanks for your reply, the rallycar im using it on doesnt have E throttle tho maybe it could be an option to retro fit one with a bit of kiwi know how! i like to run the antilag pretty agressive so ill need a reasonable solenoid, iv currently got the throttle held open all the time but its a bit of a pig to drive on the road so im keen to find a solenoid that will work, keep up the good work! Darryn

• 5 years later...

Hi Darryn.

With E-Throttle it's just a setting so that is easy if you have one (and an ECU/Module that will enable this control).  Another way is to use a throttle stop screw to hold the throttle plate open, but this is a permanent high idle feature you will have to deal with on your daily drive (not recommended to run AL on your daily though).  Or use a solenoid as you suggest. 

Link sells their 'ISS' (Idle Speed Solenoid), but that won't really cut it on most applications to bleed enough air for AL.  I have seen on one car 2 of them which did bleed enough however. That was on an FJ20 with approximately 500RWHP... But this really is a half measure and I don't recommend it.

I am sure if you visit some automation/Process industries you may find a 12v solenoid designed for some machine you may be able to hack up and make fit ;)

Jurgen

Hi

Good reading on AL, I will be working this next week on a Tarmac, Uphill, car and need to setup the AL for it...

I need to setup an Antilag Rally style, car is a Forester XT 2007 running G4 Xtreme, with E-Throttle, this is the first time that I have to program the Anti-lag on a E-Throttle, so I need to keep the Throttle open around 25 % for this.

My question is how to??? and since I read the help file at the software, this is what I think I have to do: please provide you comments to let me get right... thanks

I understand that I can use a DI switch to activate Antilag (at the Motorsport options), then the E-Throttle setup will recognize the AL status "on" and then use the E-Throttle 1 table #2, with values around 25% (not less) on this table to make sure I have good enough air during AL conditions, am I on the right path??  All the rest parameters I m familiar with, but I did´nt know how to keep the Throttle opened during this AL ON status... 

Will it work? any comment to help me?

Regards

Alex

G4+ Xtreeme v2.png

G4+ Xtreeme v3.png

G4+ Xtreeme v1.png

Hi Alex,

When the digital input channel is active Anti-lag will be armed, but if the lockout conditions for RPM and TP% are not met the ECU will be using e-throttle table 1. If you want the ECU to switch to E-throttle table 2 when the Anti-lag system is armed you will need to set the E-throttle 'Table2 Activation' to DI 10. How you want to use the system may depend a little on how long your AL Deactivation Timeout is.

Scott

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
On 8/17/2010 at 7:18 PM, Mark Butcher said:

Hey all, Just installed a G4 into my 2001 WRX Rally Car. Got the antilag and cyclic idle running but the anti-lag seems a bit aggresive and also seems to hold the revs up high. What do I need to adjust to make it a little less aggresive and why is it holding revs? Previous cars I have had - on back of the antilag kicks in and the revs drop back to about 2000rpm... with a few bangs only on the way down. This one bangs quickly and deosnt seem to drop. Cheers Mark

@Adamw Sorry to dig this thread but I just found I have pretty much the same ALS effect as this guy had. When ALS active with throttle lift, boost has been built, but the rev stuck and doesn't drop down unless you have to take a hard brake on to un-activate ALS. There are no big bangs on the way down, it has sound like stable launch control active. I have tried to make change on retard between -10 and -30, same effect. 

Is there anything wrong on this tune?

S2000 ALS Edit Link Map.pclx

13 hours ago, tbase said:

@Adamw Sorry to dig this thread but I just found I have pretty much the same ALS effect as this guy had. When ALS active with throttle lift, boost has been built, but the rev stuck and doesn't drop down unless you have to take a hard brake on to un-activate ALS. There are no big bangs on the way down, it has sound like stable launch control active. I have tried to make change on retard between -10 and -30, same effect. 

Is there anything wrong on this tune?

S2000 ALS Edit Link Map.pclx 428.5 kB · 1 download

Hello, your trigger setup is for EVO 1-6. Both car sensors are optical so it works but why it did not be the correct setting. For the ALS may 50% cut is not enough.