knock detection device

r32skizzzaaa

The G4+ version of the Knockblock is coming out in March. When it does you may be able to buy a G4 knockblock off someone who is upgrading.

http://www.linkecu.com/G4PlusKnockBlock

The KnockLink is a good product, but not in the same league as the knockblock, as it is either detecting knock, or not. Where-as the knock-block's audio output changes depending on the level of knock.

I do not have any experience with the phormula units.

Edited by Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Skiza,

I have a couple of cheaper devices you might be interested in.  I have an old "The Knock Box" dual channel system.  It's probably 15years old or more but it is still a very good device.  I bought it direct from the manufacturer about 10 years ago as an ex-demo and they told me at that time that their current one still has all the same internals, just a different enclosure and connectors.  This is still very good and my go-to tool but I want to upgrade to something that has an analog output that I can play with on my dyno.  They don't have adjustable filters etc like some more modern stuff but I have never had any issue clearly detecting knock with it.  I would want about 350NZD for this one with the aviation headphones, two knock sensors etc.   New they are 900AUD.

I also have the first gen Link Knockblock - again dual channel and it has adjustable frequency filters.  It came in a box of misc dyno parts I bought years ago, it appears unused but I have never tried it to tell you how good it is at detecting knock.  100NZD for this one.  It has two knock sensors but no head phones included (has 3.5mm audio jack from memory).   

I have used a Phormula before (note sure which model but the audio one) and I didn't find it much good.  Certainly not as clear as my old knock box that I was used to anyhow, it didn't seem to have much, if any filtering.

PM me if you want to know more.

Edited by Adamw

• 3 months later...

@Scott: Does the new G4+ knocklink have an analog output or something like that. Also does it provide filtering and if so how do you have to approach to them.

I do read the folowing on the site : Can be used to interface directly to a laptop for recording of engine noise or knock sensor frequency analysis (using PCLink G4+) -

Is this with the knock audio feature or how does this work ?

And how does this work:Can be used to interface directly to a laptop for recording of engine noise or knock sensor frequency analysis (using PCLink G4+) -

And do you have a recordeed file off the audio the unit delivers

The knock sensor frequency analysis is done through PCLink using the 'Knock Audio' feature. It relies on the G4+ Knock Block output being fed into the laptop's microphone input port. The audio recording of the knock works also by inputting the Knockblock audio output into the laptop's audio port and then using a sound recorder program to record.

Scott

And are there extension cables deliverd for the knock sensors, because the ones that are attached to the knock block seems very short

And if you use the audio output of theknockblock to connect to your mivrophone input, is it then possible to still listen to knock through your headphone output of your laptop ?

Edited by Shedley Vandenabeele

Hi Scott,

I want to be able to hear the if a engine is knocking and its a flat 6 cylinder.  If I order the following,

2 knock sensors,

Headphones

Knock Block 

will all that come with the cables etc to make it work or do I need to order more bits?

Tony

The G4+ KnockBlock comes with two donut style knock sensors and looms, 1 headphone loom, and a USB mini charging cable. The headphones are additional, and are available if wanted. I will need to find out the length of the cables.

And are there extension cables deliverd for the knock sensors, because the ones that are attached to the knock block seems very short

And if you use the audio output of theknockblock to connect to your mivrophone input, is it then possible to still listen to knock through your headphone output of your laptop ?

There are no extension cables available, however these could be made as they use an injector style plug on one end and a deutsch connector on the other end.

This will depend on your laptop, a lot of the modern ones have a combined headphone/microphone jack, which you can buy a splitter cable for. Generally you would use PCLink's Knock Audio function to determine the correct knock frequency filter, then just use the headphones with the Knockblock while tuning.

Scott

Hi,

The cable from the G4+ Knockblock to knock sensor is 2.0m. The cable from the G4+ Knockblock to the headphone jack is 180mm.

Scott

in that instance, it shouldn't be necessary to extend the cables.

do you have a demo audio file of the new unit ?

• 1 month later...

HI

I just bought a KnockLink device from ebay at "Toonertools" seller, I am looking for a "installation and operation manual", I have to wait a couple of weeks to receive it, and I want to be prepared for it. 

I have two questions:

1-Can I plug the knocklink to the usb laptop computer?

2-May I plug a set of headphones to it?

Regards

Alex

I am looking for a "installation and operation manual",

Found this on google: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9h3aF9QxB3CTjVQYnpDYU9acVk/view?usp=sharing

1-Can I plug the knocklink to the usb laptop computer?

2-May I plug a set of headphones to it?

Knocklink is a simple visual warning device only.  There is no audio and no USB. 

• 1 month later...