TPS Calibration issues

ScherzDaddy

I am trying to calibrate my TPS when using a Toyota Clutched e-throttle on a 1JZ VVTi from a JZS171 Crown. My APS is working fine, giving a full sweep and has been calibrated through the PC Link. When trying to calibrate the TPS, The system starts to go through the process, completes the first closed, and first opened sweep of the throttle plate. Test says that it's closing the TB again but doesn't, and it give the message that H-Bridge polarity is reversed.

I have the system wired same as the the example in the wiring examples, using AUX9 is + and AUX 10 is - for the throttle motor, and the high signal for the clutch is wired to switched 12V, and the low is wired to AUX 4 as ON(PWM) at 250hz as stated in the wiring help docs. The APS(main)/APS(sub) and TPS(main) and TPS(sub) are wired to AN inputs 1-4, and I have 5v power and grounds at the sensor pins as required.

My question is, how can the polarity be reversed, if it's operating exactly as it seems it should; closed / open as the test is suggesting? Could it be a grounding issue where it's dropping a connection or something? Is there a specific way to ground the throttle motor through the ECU that I have missed? I have the Throttle motor ground shield that is present in the stock harness (converted from stock style ecu) connected to a shield / gnd on the B loom at pin 17.

I'm just trying to get things set up for initial startup but cant seem to get this TPS calibrated correctly. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

173192122_994014187800541_5391882008073289066_n.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whether its on low (where it was originally) or on high I receive the same error message about the H-Bridge Polarity being reversed. I also noticed that the TPS voltage when the Aux9 was set to high, it would have the voltage for closed throttle at 5v which is backward from what I expect.  

I also received this message when trying to calibrate:

"ECU Fault Code 75: E-Throttle 1 TPS /Target Error"

Active state high looks like it is driving the throttle in the correct direction.  The problem may be the 250Hz frequency, 500Hz is more typical on these.  

Your TP voltages also look a bit odd.  I cant quite work out what is going on from the log.

Can you load the attached map in and log a few pedal presses (leave it in set up mode).  I have changed the frequency to 500Hz and adjusted the TP voltages based on the values logged during calibration.

Steve_Toyota_JZX100Plugin_eThrottle_test.pclx

I ran in to this problem very recently.  I would get the same error during the calibration process.... 75% of the time.  Sometimes it would calibrate with out issue.  I didnt have ample time to spend with the vehicle to sort it out, but it wasnt a h bridge issue.  I want to say it is a throttle return spring issue.  The fault would only occur at the very end of the calibration process and it would act as if the throttle is hung open while the ecu is commanding it to close.  If i had one of these throttles on hand i would play more with it on the bench and get to the bottom of it.

25 minutes ago, Brad Burnett said:

I ran in to this problem very recently.  I would get the same error during the calibration process.... 75% of the time.  Sometimes it would calibrate with out issue.  I didnt have ample time to spend with the vehicle to sort it out, but it wasnt a h bridge issue.  I want to say it is a throttle return spring issue.  The fault would only occur at the very end of the calibration process and it would act as if the throttle is hung open while the ecu is commanding it to close.  If i had one of these throttles on hand i would play more with it on the bench and get to the bottom of it.

I will take a look at this. I do have multiple throttle bodies on hand, and I've tried to run this on two different units. Regardless of what throttle body I connect to the ECU, it gives me the same result. This leads me to believe its still a wiring or config issue. 

27 minutes ago, ScherzDaddy said:

I will take a look at this. I do have multiple throttle bodies on hand, and I've tried to run this on two different units. Regardless of what throttle body I connect to the ECU, it gives me the same result. This leads me to believe its still a wiring or config issue. 

Just to verify, you do only get the error during calibration at the very last step of the calibration process when the ecu is trying t close the throttle correct?

42 minutes ago, Brad Burnett said:

Just to verify, you do only get the error during calibration at the very last step of the calibration process when the ecu is trying t close the throttle correct?

That's when I receive the error, yes. The system will process through setting closed throttle, setting open throttle, and when "closing the throttle" at the end, it errors out and stays at 100% until I power cycle the ecu.

5 minutes ago, Confused said:

You haven't confirmed if you've tried loading the config from Adam's last post - as you've not posted the log file from that test that he's asked for.

Sorry I didn't specify, I did load the base file he adjusted, tested and attached the log above. I wasn't able to get the throttle body to sweep when not using the calibration mode for TPS, so I wasn't able to provide the data he requested. 

55 minutes ago, Confused said:

I think I might have found an issue... I think your E-Throttle Target Table should have "APS (Main)" on the Y axis, not "TPS (Main)"

With your help I was able to complete the throttle plate sweeps by changing the table axis to APS (Main). Updated map and log is attached. 

pedal sweeps_2.llgx Steve_Toyota_JZX100Plugin_eThrottle_test.pclx

I didnt look at the cal posted here.  But when i was facing the issue a couple weeks ago, my cal did have APS main on the ethrottle table and the issue persisted.  Even though it would show the "h bridge polarity reversed" fault, it would still set the appropriate TPS main/sub voltages and i just had to verify the TP sub 100% value.  The ethrottle would work but had some very weird drivability issues that appeared to stem from a very noisy TP signal.

I've had weird issues with this using the same type of throttle body on VVTi Supra. Seems to be a G4X quirk, as never had this issue on G4+. 

Spent ages going round and round try to figure out why it thought H-Bridge polarity reversed. In the end I gave up on the auto calibration and entered the relevant voltage data for TPS & APS, going from my old G4+ maps and it worked perfectly. 

These are my settings that I've tested on two different cars and worked nicely. Some adjustment to voltages may be required based on your setup. 

image.thumb.png.d34f2c6f46228ff31f2d5be78c073a2c.png

7 hours ago, ScherzDaddy said:

Just pulled the TPS and it looked like the throttle body may have pushed the pushed backwards past the stop somehow.

Yeah, I reckon there is something wrong with that throttle.  I could see earlier the voltages from the TP sensors didnt appear to follow the normal curve, but wasnt convinced since the calibration didnt complete.  But now with your new log it is clear there is something wrong.  Generally with these throttles the TP sub tops out around 68% while the TP main keeps moving - both of yours cover the full range and have odd open/closed voltages which suggests they have moved past the end of their travel somehow.  

Hello, we are trying to calibrate the ETB, but we get error 16: cannot reach target 98.
We try to configure it with recommended calibration parameters but the same error continues to appear.
This happens in step 8 of the calibration, after calibrating ap main and ap sub, just when comparing the 2. The ETB begins to oscillate rapidly. We have read that limiting the position of the ETB to 92 could make it stop giving error but we do not know how to limit it right now.
Do you know how to limit it or what options we have to stop giving that problem?

38 minutes ago, Lloret said:

Hello, we are trying to calibrate the ETB, but we get error 16: cannot reach target 98.
We try to configure it with recommended calibration parameters but the same error continues to appear.
This happens in step 8 of the calibration, after calibrating ap main and ap sub, just when comparing the 2. The ETB begins to oscillate rapidly. We have read that limiting the position of the ETB to 92 could make it stop giving error but we do not know how to limit it right now.
Do you know how to limit it or what options we have to stop giving that problem?

Oscilation would indicate possibly the PID is too far out to complete the calibration.  Can you attach your tune.  What throttle do you have?

Prueba_ETB_17-4.pclr

Hi,

I attach you the tune and the datasheet of the e-throttle body (32mm diameter). Also I attach a video where you can see the oscillations. We have set the PID parameters as the link g4+ contents typically recommends. 

Also it is important to say that I have tried again to automatically calibrate and the Error 16 has not appeared, and the calibration has been completed. 

Moreover, when the mode ON-SetUp is selected, is when I can see the oscillations, but when the mode ON is selected, the ETB is not responding.

Thank you for your answer.

https://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/downloads/Raceparts/Resources/pdf/Data Sheet_68749835_Electronic_Throttle_Body.pdf 

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 10.13.22.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 10.13.22 (1).jpeg

Aux 9 frequency should be about 500Hz.  Your current setting of 115Hz is not suitable.  

If you do a short log of some pedal presses with E-throttle set to ON mode I will give more information on the problem.  

Edit, added later:  I think your problem may be your CAN set up.  You have AP(main) in receive user stream 9 and also in receive user stream 6.  It should only be in one stream as receiving the same parameter from two different sources is ambiguous.

I have changed the aux 9 frequency to 500Hz and deleted the stream 6 parameter. 

Then I have changed the values of the PID until the ETB was not oscillating (in the images below you can see these parameters). After that, I have tried to automatically calibrate the TPS, but an Error Code 5 have appeared. Also I attach you the record of the response when a calibration was intented. 

Also, the ETB is still not responding with the mode ON selected. 

Captura.PNG

Captura2.PNG