New motor build, won’t start. Evo 9

Robsevo9

Yeah your cam timing is wrong.  I dont remember if it is physically possible, but I would say since one of your earlier pics shows the exhaust cam dowel is correctly pointing vertical, then they are possibly swapped - ie the intake cam is fitted on the exhaust side. 

At TDC, your number 1 Intake lobes should be pointing back towards the firewall, say about 10'oclock if looking from the cam sprocket, and the exhaust lobe should be pointing forwards, say about 2'oclock.  

Pic below is looking from the opposite end but my pink lines indicate roughly where the lobes should be.  

G1OJWpf.png

20 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Yeah your cam timing is wrong.  I dont remember if it is physically possible, but I would say since one of your earlier pics shows the exhaust cam dowel is correctly pointing vertical, then they are possibly swapped - ie the intake cam is fitted on the exhaust side. 

At TDC, your number 1 Intake lobes should be pointing back towards the firewall, say about 10'oclock if looking from the cam sprocket, and the exhaust lobe should be pointing forwards, say about 2'oclock.  

Pic below is looking from the opposite end but my pink lines indicate roughly where the lobes should be.  

G1OJWpf.png

This is now with the TDC, those pics were after I sent you the wrong pics. The cams mark ex and in

IMG_9233.jpeg

IMG_9232.jpeg

IMG_9230.jpeg

IMG_9229.jpeg

Last two pic show the markings, this pic is tdc 

IMG_9232.jpeg

Intake side is around the 4oclock

So only your very last pic at the bottom is at TDC?  Its a bit of a tough view to work from, but in that pic the exhaust cam now looks closer to the expected position, but the intake cam doesnt, it looks much more retarded (anti clockwise) from where it should be.   

A pic of evo 9 cams below, you will notice on the intake cam that I have marked, the cyl 2 lobes are roughly aligned with the dowel.  When fitted in to an engine the dowel should be pointing up vertical when at TDC, so I expect in your picture we should see the number 2 lobes pointing vertical-ish as well if the cam was in the correct position.  It doesnt look like that in your photo but it could just be a bad photo angle to judge from. 

Possibly the hub in mivec actuator has been assembled wrong - The hubs usually have 4 or 5 lobes and often can be assembled wrong (ie 90 or 72 deg out - just a general comment not evo 9 specific, I have never had one of these in bits personally).  

vjeCsOR.png

20 minutes ago, Adamw said:

So only your very last pic at the bottom is at TDC?  Its a bit of a tough view to work from, but in that pic the exhaust cam now looks closer to the expected position, but the intake cam doesnt, it looks much more retarded (anti clockwise) from where it should be.   

A pic of evo 9 cams below, you will notice on the intake cam that I have marked, the cyl 2 lobes are roughly aligned with the dowel.  When fitted in to an engine the dowel should be pointing up vertical when at TDC, so I expect in your picture we should see the number 2 lobes pointing vertical-ish as well if the cam was in the correct position.  It doesnt look like that in your photo but it could just be a bad photo angle to judge from. 

Possibly the hub in mivec actuator has been assembled wrong - The hubs usually have 4 or 5 lobes and often can be assembled wrong (ie 90 or 72 deg out - just a general comment not evo 9 specific, I have never had one of these in bits personally).  

vjeCsOR.png

Yes the intake side is correct, pointing tdc, the hub was never taken apart and it ran fine before the build it was only removed and put back.

IMG_9236.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg

The cams markings are all straight up and even, these are kelford cams 280/276 (9-TX280)

31 minutes ago, Adamw said:

The pics are too small to tell, but are you saying these #2 lobes marked below are pointing straight up towards the sky?  They sure dont look like it in this pic.

mwYr9xE.png  

No they are like 3oclock

How would I even move that without the cam coming out of timing?

19 hours ago, Adamw said:

You will have to pull the sprocket off to see what is wrong.  The dowel and cyl 2 lobes should be pointing upwards.  It could be a sheared dowel or some other assembly issue.  

Adam you are a G!!!! From the beginning this issue had me scratching my head… my powder coater friend informed me he did take the mivec apart to sand blast it and pc it.. never did because he was worried the seal was gonna go bad and there isn’t one available to buy, so he put it back together…….. when you mentioned the mivec I knew I didn’t open it but I checked anyway and boom the dowel wasn’t straight up it was towards the back of the engine but the mivec was lined up. My timing was completely off by a quarter turn! Adam thank you very much for your help! Now to put it all back together and see if it will start… I did strip the bolt for the mivec cover. It was on there and wasn’t budging. Thanks everyone for your ideas and help… fingers crossed the car turns on this week

26 minutes ago, Adamw said:

I have never personally had an evo ix one apart but I would imagine this has full oil pressure inside the actuator, even with the solenoid unplugged.  

Yes it should, I’m just nervous but I checked everything and I think it should be fine. Just going to wait for the mivec cap before I start it.

• 2 weeks later...