Introducing RealDash - A Dashboard App for Android & Windows

Adamw

15 hours ago, Link2ThePast said:

Is there any particular reason why it would work at the default baud only? 

It will work at any baud rate, you just got to close the port, power cycle and open the port again if you change baud.  But there is no need, 2000000 is the default and it generally works best.

The below channels are broadcast in the dash2pro stream and should all be available without changing a thing.  Fuel presss and MGP are already there.  From memory MGP is labelled MAP or scaled wrong in the default "Link short" CAN description in realdash, but it should work.  Try the xml below and you will have a Link: MGP channel in the ecu specific category.

9mqa9yq.png

Dash2pro.xml

Interesting, thanks for the clarification on the baud rate thing!

Would fuel pressure also be displayed in the ecu specific category with this xml or would it be the same one that is in the engine/ecu output category? (I don’t remember the exact name and am away from the car currently) 

Also I appreciate the help and the xml file! Will save me the seemingly monumental task of learning how CAN and CAN descriptions work and the setup

Just an update. The xml file had MGP in there but I noticed on in the snip of each frame description it is in kPa. Changing the multiplier to 1/6.895 should give me MGP in Psi correct?

Edit: The above statement was correct

The multiplier should also apply to the fuel pressure correct?

Edit: Still have not figured this one out

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone successfully set up a can input with realdash and a G4X?

I tried setting up my own based on the marker button in the Realdash setup example files but in the runtime values, it returns nothing.

I then set it up exactly as shown in the help files Adam included and got an "Inactive" in the runtime values but the button itself did nothing. 

In realdash, I have my button configured as a toggle as per the xml instructions and the data source is "Send to Link: Button 1"

In PCLink, can description is set up as shown in the two included pictures, with the exception of me using "CAN DI 1 (Status)" instead. I noticed that I have an "x" in position 7 of that bit table on the bottom.

In "CAN DI latches" of PCLink, for "CAN DI 1 latch", I switched between "off". "on default inactive" and "on default active". After changing from off to one of the "on" options, it returned a "Fault"

Am I missing something here?

I did not try the .rd file with xml file unmodified. I will do so now and report back. Here is the xml and .rd file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CiPYR6NEtvaxv4rIjn_7SoY6Vur5pgp1?usp=sharing

Update: Modifying the CAN settings in PClink to match the included PNG's on the example folder didn't return any different results. I did change the .rd file and .xml to the ones included in the folder as well

So I still haven't figured out the CAN digital input part yet but I did notice why the fuel pressure was displaying incorrectly. In the previous XML file, it was set as "V/10/100" but actually should be "V*10/100" 

I attached a modified version of the XML in the example folder with the corrected equation. It also has a modified MGP equation so it displays in PSI. 

Link with DI receive.xml

I figured it out!! So using the modified file above, set up the button action as specified in the Notes.txt:

Select the button then >Input and Values>Select Button Action>New Action>Action Type>Toggle Value On/Off. 

Then, you not only have to select the button name you specified in the XML file ("Send to Link: Button 1") as the data source, you also then have to make sure to set it as the same thing in "Select input". 

Then in PCLink, go to:

DI>CAN DI Latches>CAN DI 8 Latch> On default (on/off) depending on your needs

Adam I have not yet tested but does the XML only work for CAN DI 8 Latch because I set it as the parameter? I don't understand how it is assigned in the XML file as CAN DI 8 and am assuming it is based on the PNG. How would I change it to register as CAN DI (another number). 

Could you also explain why the can di parameter is defined in stream 4 frame 1 and not stream 5 instead? It is defined under frame ID 5 which I do not understand.

Would you please take a look at the "Link with DI Recieve - Copy" in my google drive folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CiPYR6NEtvaxv4rIjn_7SoY6Vur5pgp1?usp=sharing

and let me know if I am understanding its set up correctly? I would then go into the Can streams and set the corresponding start positions to 8, 9 correct? What about parameter?

21 hours ago, Link2ThePast said:

Adam I have not yet tested but does the XML only work for CAN DI 8 Latch because I set it as the parameter? I don't understand how it is assigned in the XML file as CAN DI 8 and am assuming it is based on the PNG. How would I change it to register as CAN DI (another number). 

Change the parameter in the user stream to whichevr DI you want to receive it as.  

Could you also explain why the can di parameter is defined in stream 4 frame 1 and not stream 5 instead? It is defined under frame ID 5 which I do not understand.

Frame ID is added on to the base ID.  The dash2pro stream sends out 4 sequential frames and we have it set up on ID1000.  So Dash2pro stream uses ID's 1000, 1001, 1002 & 1003.   You will see at the top of the xml file the base ID is set to 1000 and the frame ID 0,1,2,3 cover the dash2pro stream.  i.e. Base ID1000 + frame ID3 = 1003.

The frame ID 4 covers the "transmit user stream *" that you have sent on ID1004.  

The frame ID5 covers the "receive user stream *" on ID1005.

ldJKlug.png

Would you please take a look at the "Link with DI Recieve - Copy" in my google drive folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CiPYR6NEtvaxv4rIjn_7SoY6Vur5pgp1?usp=sharing

and let me know if I am understanding its set up correctly? I would then go into the Can streams and set the corresponding start positions to 8, 9 correct? What about parameter?

The bit positions are explained in red in a pic in the original realdash example.  So your start bits to match your xml would be 7,6 & 5

6RYOP4x.png

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

The bit positions are explained in red in a pic in the original realdash example.  So your start bits to match your xml would be 7,6 & 5

6RYOP4x.png

I think I kind of understand the first two, I’m sure the more I reread it, the full understanding will come.

I don’t quite understand why the start bit positions descend in the can setup while the button positions(?) in the xml increase (1,2,3 etc) 

Oh ok I understand. How would I define them in the can setup if I go past 8 DI? I see in the CAN latches it goes all the way up to 16.

DO you have an XML example of a CAN AUX? I'm assuming it would be similar in the can setup end? Width = 1,  Start bit = (as explained in your reply above)

Adam is it possible to enable or add Internal Lambda Sensor (G4+ Fury in my case) to the serial stream for direct USB connections? Or is there perhaps a setting on the Realdash side that I'm unaware of?

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Mikau said:

Adam is it possible to enable or add Internal Lambda Sensor (G4+ Fury in my case) to the serial stream for direct USB connections? Or is there perhaps a setting on the Realdash side that I'm unaware of?

Thanks.

No, you will need to use the CAN method.

Couple of realdash questions:

1. Can you use a generic elm327 Bluetooth adapter instead of a Can to usb wired adapter (seeedstudio etc)?

2. Can Realdash simulate real switches and control ecu functions, like turning traction control on?off etc?

Thanks in advance.

50 minutes ago, Lotussuper7 said:

2. Can Realdash simulate real switches and control ecu functions, like turning traction control on?off etc?

It can, that’s how I have my dash set up. I have switches for AC, launch control and my engine lid fans. I outlined how I got mine working a couple replies above. 

23 minutes ago, Link2ThePast said:

It can, that’s how I have my dash set up. I have switches for AC, launch control and my engine lid fans. I outlined how I got mine working a couple replies above. 

Thanks for the reply. Looks a bit more involved than I want to get into at the moment. Just looking at the hardware I need to get the basic dash working. Any idea on the adapter? Are you using the wired seeedstudio adapter?

17 minutes ago, Lotussuper7 said:

Thanks for the reply. Looks a bit more involved than I want to get into at the moment. Just looking at the hardware I need to get the basic dash working. Any idea on the adapter? Are you using the wired seeedstudio adapter?

I have no clue about the Bluetooth adapter, that’s better left for one of the applications engineers. I’m still learning the whole can thing. I can only guess that it would be quite a bit slower than a wired connection 

yes I am using the seed studio adapter. Or some clone, I got it on Amazon 

Hi,

love the dash bought and paid for thank you. I can not get my map sensor value to read anything like A correct value. 

does anyone know the scaling for the channel. I have a Mazda rx7 fd3s with stock MAP sensor. I had a play with the multiplier but it’s just not right. 

thanks

On 7/30/2021 at 6:03 PM, Lotussuper7 said:

Can you use a generic elm327 Bluetooth adapter instead of a Can to usb wired adapter (seeedstudio etc)?

No, the only bluetooth option I know that works is the OBDLink MX+.  The Seeedstudio is the cheapest option for G4X.  If you have a G4+ you can just plug straght into the USB tuning cable.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:56 AM, Myrotarylife said:

love the dash bought and paid for thank you. I can not get my map sensor value to read anything like A correct value. 

Are you using CAN or serial?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LeNainCapable said:

I was wondering : is there a planned update on activating the USB tuning cable data stream for G4X ? It sure feels like a step back :/

No, most dashboards stopped using RS232 about 10 years ago so there is no need to support it any more.  Why do you think it is a step backwards when RS232 is slow, one way, non-configurable, and you cant tune the ecu when the dash is connected.  With CAN you can customise what channels you want, you can send data both ways so onscreen buttons can control ecu functions, and you can still tune with the dash connected.    

Yes the MX+ is a proper CAN adapter so can do all the stuff the USB adapters can do.

The fact that it was pretty convenient to be able to plug it to USB on any android tablet and run software from that.

So far I was able to recieve data sent from CAN on my MX+, I can read my wideband data sent from my UEGO, however, when I do can setup and put "Transmit DASH2PRO" on ID 1000 on stream 1, and recieve wideband on stream 2, it only works a few seconds before ecu stops sending data.
Once I click "Apply" again it works again for 2-3 seconds.

I've tried saving, cycling power etc, but it won't stay on. I could make realdash work for 3 secs and see rpm move.

I've also tried multiple sample rates 1 hz, 20hz, 100hz... won't matter :/