Introducing RealDash - A Dashboard App for Android & Windows

Adamw

On 1/20/2024 at 10:35 AM, arnosub said:

Hi,

I would like to retrieve the state of my outputs from my razor pdm on realdash.
I configured this:

pdm_can_dash.PNG.919f53913a15cec9218314f140f394a3.PNG

For the moment, I am looking at the status of my HC0 output but I cannot get the information 0,1,2 or 3 on my dash.

Normally, this should be byte 1 of frame 1

can_pdm.thumb.PNG.076ac7aabe688138277b80a872fcc3d1.PNG

through research, if this can help someone one day to find the status of the 4 High Current + 8 ADIO of a PDM on realdash,
here is what I did successfully
on my dash, I visualize the Active and Fault state of each PDM output or input.

I used this can stream because the ecu receives these 2 parameters.
Then this is transmitted to my dash, attached xml.

stream_pdm.PNG.e252b3541bec1a86cf77ecc378f5edbd.PNG

help_file.PNG.b2e4ce34cd676f6772567962cdb2e9aa.PNG

pdm_xml.PNG

On 1/19/2024 at 5:28 PM, fantapants said:

i had chosen this one for the hardwire connection over the wireless, assuming it might be more robust and or stable ?

if life is gonna be easier with the wireless version ill give that a dig.

i think im having troubles getting the ecu side settings to work.  apologies for not being very bright with this stuff, can is entirely new to me and i don't learn new things too well lol.

Scroll up a bit to my post in this thread about getting comms from a G4X to a MeatPi WiCAN-USB to an Android tablet working:

The WiCAN-USB is capable of wifi, bluetooth, or USB comms so you can stay hardwired if you want. Make sure you have the G4X set up to broadcast like I did in my post. Make sure the USB-DUAL CAN baud rate jumper is set to match your G4X configured CAN baud rate.

If that doesn't work, maybe swap out the USB-DUAL CAN for the WiCAN-USB, as that's been proven to work.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jens_l said:

Is there any official link layouts for realdash?

I am not aware of any.

On the other hand you can find official Link logos and color codes and their usage terms on the website.

• 2 months later...

Hi @Adamw,

Does the 'Onscreen button press' G4+ example from the original post still function the same way in the G4X / G5 firmware?
IE:

On 6/25/2018 at 6:49 PM, Adamw said:

This config also includes an example of how to send an onscreen button press to the ECU

image.png.b65e8ba4cb3404208ddc986ebd23a029.png

I'm having trouble keeping a CAN DI activated after an onscreen key press in the G5 firmware - the CAN state reverts to "Fault" after 2 seconds.

I had a look at the help file and noticed the CAN Latching comment - I've tried both Active and Inactive latched states - but any and all configuration still exhibits the same behavior:
The CAN DI triggers into an Active after CAN keypress, activates the output, then after 2 seconds reverts to Fault and terminates the output.

image.thumb.png.1999f7c20b3dcf68aefe4bbd01892ba1.png

image.png.8b15457b9376c86f36bc5d0e4bc89922.png

image.thumb.png.74c579fb3b3aa4d0d5debb7b8e4f8787.png

G5

image.png.8238493b3b904653a6c0ec6ec7d94157.png

The same CAN / Virtual AUX config worked under the G4+ before I ported it over,
the only differences being the Engine Fan outputs - as the G5 options now binds an output directly to a Virtual AUX rather than a GP Output

G4+
image.png.4db7b2175186012b6aedbe8973f8e459.png

Thanks

On 8/21/2021 at 12:39 AM, Adamw said:

With CAN you can customise what channels you want, you can send data both ways so onscreen buttons can control ecu functions, and you can still tune with the dash connected.

Does that mean I can connect a Windows tablet with USB and another device via CAN simultaneously.

For example to have monitoring/logging/tuning via USB and at the same time use another device via CAN (Real Dash to send button commands to the ECU)?

18 hours ago, Mot said:

Does that mean I can connect a Windows tablet with USB and another device via CAN simultaneously.

For example to have monitoring/logging/tuning via USB and at the same time use another device via CAN (Real Dash to send button commands to the ECU)?

4 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yes.

How would you realize this while using a GTTLink (NGTT+) and trying to get the CAN information wirelessly (wifi would be preferred) to the Realdash device (tablet/mobile phone).

For example when using the MeatPi CAN adapter, that connects to the car via OBD, I would have to purchase a CANPCB (SKU 101-0022) cable from Link and would then have to wire that to the MeatPi? Or do I have that wrong somehow?

If so, are there any adapters out there for this kind of application or do I have to pull the MeatPi apart/make my own plug?

Another problem I can see with my specific application is the firmware of the ECU because it's a G4+ Plugin which is relatively old and for example doesn't support CAN keypads as far as I remember from reading the forum.

Would be pretty annoying to buy/set up all that to then find out my ECU is too old. :rolleyes:

Firmware I'm running at the moment is 5.5.3.2802 which would need updating to 5.6.8.3671 which seems to be the latest for the G4+ plugins. Any pointers on what to look out for when doing the update?

Sorry, lots of questions in this one :ph34r:

I don't know why MeatPi chose to be so confusing with their product listing, but what they call "WiCAN" is actually two separate products, the WiCAN-OBD and the WiCAN-USB. The WiCAN-USB lets you wire directly into your CANbus, no pulling anything apart.

If you scroll up a few posts I linked to where I have everything configured and working.

On 4/22/2024 at 1:49 AM, Mot said:

How would you realize this while using a GTTLink (NGTT+) to the Realdash device wirelessly to the (tablet/mobile phone)

For example when using the MeatPi CAN adapter, that connects to the car via OBD

An R34 GTT likely doesn't have ODB / ODBII at all - probably a Nissan "Consult" port that utilizes Nissan's own diagnostic protocol.

The Consult data would only be available using the factory ECU, or an extension of that - a Nistune for example.

To use a GTTLink and RealDash, you'd need a MeatPi WiCAN-USB, that would need to be wired into one of the Link GTT CAN ports - then connect from the the smart phone/tablet (running RealDash) via WiFi to the MeatPi.

You could use a CANPCB (SKU 101-0022), but you'd be chopping off the Deutsch connector end, to screw the wires into the MeatPi.
image.thumb.png.cd189fe35638e6b7a6b93895cc0e3ecc.png

13 hours ago, Laminar said:

I don't know why MeatPi chose to be so confusing with their product listing, but what they call "WiCAN" is actually two separate products, the WiCAN-OBD and the WiCAN-USB. The WiCAN-USB lets you wire directly into your CANbus, no pulling anything apart.

If you scroll up a few posts I linked to where I have everything configured and working.

The developer has finally added RealDash USB Protocol connection information to the GitHub readme now, along with more clarity around connection methods, after one of the members asked for further clarification on the Discord Server.

On 4/19/2024 at 7:11 PM, jdniss said:

I'm having trouble keeping a CAN DI activated after an onscreen key press in the G5 firmware - the CAN state reverts to "Fault" after 2 seconds.

I had a look at the help file and noticed the CAN Latching comment - I've tried both Active and Inactive latched states - but any and all configuration still exhibits the same behavior:
The CAN DI triggers into an Active after CAN keypress, activates the output, then after 2 seconds reverts to Fault and terminates the output.

This means the ecu hasnt received a CAN message with the DI status for more than 2 seconds.  This is a safety feature so if for example a wire gets broken your CAN-controlled cruise control wont get "stuck on".  Default realdash behaviour is it only sends a CAN message when a state changes (ie the button is pressed).  The "write interval" option is meant to force realdash to send the message at least once every interval regardless of a state change.  So it sounds like your .XML is either missing the write interval attribute or has a formatting issue with it, or there is a bug preventing that from working.  

You could possibly use the CAN monitor in realdash to see if that message is being transmitted regularly. I assume it shows transmitted messages.    

On 4/23/2024 at 10:07 PM, Adamw said:

Default realdash behaviour is it only sends a CAN message when a state changes (ie the button is pressed).  The "write interval" option is meant to force realdash to send the message at least once every interval regardless of a state change.  So it sounds like your .XML is either missing the write interval attribute or has a formatting issue with it, or there is a bug preventing that from working. 

Hey @Adamw,

Thanks for the info, I worked the issue out - while the 'WriteInterval' was previously included at 1000(ms), this is seemingly too high to prevent the 'Fault' state under G4X / G5:

On 4/19/2024 at 5:11 PM, jdniss said:

image.thumb.png.74c579fb3b3aa4d0d5debb7b8e4f8787.png

Someone on the Realdash forum suggested lowering this to 100ms, along with the RealDash developer recommending to set the "bit" unit type in the XML as well.

The following configuration for RealDash CAN based onscreen "Value On/Off" 'action' button presses, works under G4X / G5 firmware:

image.thumb.png.dd5c4b2e16dbe2dca8b3c6c48e00c9be.png

image.png.9ff6406e64e96acce33b265bdc13b394.png

Thanks